Patrick McCaffery Enters Transfer Portal

Best wishes for Patrick in his last year of college basketball. Even bigger wishes and prayers for him to stay cancer free.

Thank you Patrick for all your time and effort as a Hawkeye.

Best wishes for Tony also.
Way to go D!

Lol...I agree with above wish him well health wise....but I think there has to be more to this development. I'm wondering if we will hear something from Fran soon about his future.

Last edited:
Everyone help me out here. Jack has one year left of high school ball and Pmac has a year left of eligibility so how does that align?

I have heard rumors of Jack going to a prep school his senior year and Fran was going to follow so he could watch him play.

I have heard rumors of Jack going to a prep school his senior year and Fran was going to follow so he could watch him play.

All speculation at this point, and logic would seem to dictate it’s all false rumor.

Fran has been treated very well at Iowa by the administration and out of respect he would have informed them already. They then would have announced the search for a new coach to replace him by now. That’s my two cents on the matter.

Now could it be that he is considering doing this but is undecided at this point? Sure, but the longer he waits the more difficulties he will be putting on the University. Fran has done nothing since he arrived here to indicate he is that kind of person.

Has any coaches son ever transferred out of a basketball program his dad coached for? Think about that. I doubt it. This will be used against his program. His kid hates him, or worse, his kid hates the fans. They’re terrible.

It’s clear that they seem to be miserable here, and in a sense, Fran has to be too. People seem confident he’s not leaving Iowa, I remain unconvinced, and if he does coach next year, I can’t imagine it goes further then that.

Izzo’s kid going to jump in the portal, maybe he can play at Central Michigan??… lol, no, he’s playing for his dad, a great moment in life for him and his father.

Did Bryce Alford go play somewhere other then where his dad coached

it’s so bizarre and not a good sign imo.

Interesting tidbit - a few weeks ago the Hawks got a preferred walk on commit from a Buchanan kid from Indiana. Turns out his dad, Chad, is the GM of the Indiana Pacers. Makes sense then that Connor McCaffery got hired by the Pacers. You rub my back, I'll rub yours.

Made me wonder if there was some kind of connection between Buchanan and Fran McCaffrey, maybe a Notre Dame connection. where Fran coached for years. Turns out Buchanan is an Iowan, born in Des Moines, Simpson grad and bb assistant there, short stint in old ABA, assistant coach at Drake then found his way into the NBA.

Someone suggested PMac could be headed to Butler. It would make sense. Connor, Caitlin, and he could then all be roommates! Not suggesting anything untoward here, mind you. But there is clearly a connection. Maybe CC's dad and Buchanan played bb together at Simpson?

I'm trying to think if Fran was leaving, would it be better to announce he's leaving before Patrick announces or after?

Another seperate thought. I think Fran has to understand that the way his boys were treated here would have happened no matter where he was at. I'm not sure if his wife and kids understand that tho. The family as a whole could feel some Iowa fatigue. Couple that with the shitty game day atmosphere this year and I could definitely see Fran wanting to leave. I don't think most people realize how big if trouble we are going to be in with a new coach in the new NIL era.

I'm trying to think if Fran was leaving, would it be better to announce he's leaving before Patrick announces or after?

Another seperate thought. I think Fran has to understand that the way his boys were treated here would have happened no matter where he was at. I'm not sure if his wife and kids understand that tho. The family as a whole could feel some Iowa fatigue. Couple that with the shitty game day atmosphere this year and I could definitely see Fran wanting to leave. I don't think most people realize how big if trouble we are going to be in with a new coach in the new NIL era.
Maybe with a new coach...maybe not. Seems to work for the clowns. Maybe this time we don't land a Fraud Or Lackluster. Maybe we get a coach that can recruit like George and coach like Tom.

Maybe with a new coach...maybe not. Seems to work for the clowns. Maybe this time we don't land a Fraud Or Lackluster. Maybe we get a coach that can recruit like George and coach like Tom.
We don’t have the fan base or big donors, Iowa is never going to be like ISU again without that. Period. That’s what people don't understand lol. If a new coach solves it, that’s what I want. I don’t know if that’s the case, someone tell me? Can we hire say, who? Thats going to flip the switch and change it here? I find it hard to imagine finding a guy who’s going to win more then Fran has or as consistently, that can also do it with no NIL or fan support. I have lots of doubts. What Fran has recruited this far to Iowa will never happen again without NIL. I’m gonna be shocked if he holds this all together and keeps his inbound class.

We don’t have the fan base or big donors, Iowa is never going to be like ISU again without that. Period. That’s what people don't understand lol. If a new coach solves it, that’s what I want. I don’t know if that’s the case, someone tell me? Can we hire say, who? Thats going to flip the switch and change it here? I find it hard to imagine finding a guy who’s going to win more then Fran has or as consistently, that can also do it with no NIL or fan support. I have lots of doubts. What Fran has recruited this far to Iowa will never happen again without NIL. I’m gonna be shocked if he holds this all together and keeps his inbound class.
But, but...the women. The town ..CHA loves a winner. I don't disagree....no 100% certainly a new guy pans out. But I only want to try it if Fran leaves voluntarily....no axing at this time.

But, but...the women. The town ..CHA loves a winner. I don't disagree....no 100% certainly a new guy pans out. But I only want to try it if Fran leaves voluntarily....no axing at this time.
How are we going to win with no NIL? It doesn’t matter who the coach is if he doesn’t have the funding. Iowa is fortunate to have a generational talent on it’s women’s basketball team and to have a football team that is excellent every season as we head into this new era of players being paid. If Fran leaves what coach is going to come here and take the job with no fan support and no nil funding? A new coach does not change that. Winning does not change that. Iowa has been winning. It had NPOY of the year candidates and look at where it is now? lol - it’s such a shitty place to be.

Has any coaches son ever transferred out of a basketball program his dad coached for? Think about that. I doubt it. This will be used against his program. His kid hates him, or worse, his kid hates the fans. They’re terrible.

It’s clear that they seem to be miserable here, and in a sense, Fran has to be too. People seem confident he’s not leaving Iowa, I remain unconvinced, and if he does coach next year, I can’t imagine it goes further then that.
I've been saying it for a year. Jack not wanting to play at Iowa was tough enough. Patrick now leaving is recruiting suicide. No way does our competition not use this against us and if I were a potential recruit I'd wonder what was going on as well

Latest posts