NIT Round 2: Iowa @ Utah

Checked the box score and things are about even

Just were outplayed, fell asleep on D too many times

Anyway enjoyed watching the Hawks the entire season as always

Onward and Upward

I love it when idiots like you judge a player’s effort. Is he way off? Yup. You are an asshole for attacking his effort ignoring his efforts over 4 years. Get off your high horse.
Guys can have off nights offensively for sure. I have no problem with that. What I saw on the defensive side from Tony was 1 of 2 things: He's either hurt and he can't react or his heads not in it. Watch a replay and you can see it clearly.

OK. Our season has ended. If you are posting and ripping into players, you are also the same clowns who have refused to watch the Hawks all season, don’t post during games for nearly the entire season, and lay back and pick the low hanging fruit when we lose.

I am about done with HawkeyeNation after many years of enjoyment, mixed with frustration. I am so disappointed with the posters here totally abandoning the team this season, rather than recognizing that with 4 freshmen playing against guys 4 or 5 years older, we are in rebuilding mode.

I really enjoyed my season ticket this year and will be in CHA again next season.

The constant ripping into Fran and his kids, the blame game on CHA environment when you clowns have never even purchased a season ticket, the attacks on college kids who are working the equivalent of two full time jobs, you guys who did not sit through Alfraud and Lackluster, after watching Miller, Lute, Dr.Tom, should be ashamed of your lack of context on Hawkeye basketball.
Checked the box score and things are about even

Just were outplayed, fell asleep on D too many times

Anyway enjoyed watching the Hawks the entire season as always

Onward and Upward
Thank you, man!
Embarrassing. I’m not sure if it’s more disappointing that we’re getting waxed at all phases or if the coach decides to play a kid that shouldn’t have a D1 scholarship.

I’ve watched his kid get owned on D, refuse or incapable of boxing out, and finally missing a bunny layup.

I get it. He’s your kid. You think he’s good or you’re trying to get him minutes to make everyone else believe he’s good.

I’m so glad his youngest isn’t going to be a Hawkeye which hopefully helps expedite the hiring of our next coach.

The difference between Iowa and every other ncaa tournament team? Defense.
you are a trolling asshole. If this site is going to devolve into a forum for ripping into college kids, I am done with it. Used to seeing warnings given to posters who pulled this bull shit.

OK. Our season has ended. If you are posting and ripping into players, you are also the same clowns who have refused to watch the Hawks all season, don’t post during games for nearly the entire season, and lay back and pick the low hanging fruit when we lose.

I am about done with HawkeyeNation after many years of enjoyment, mixed with frustration. I am so disappointed with the posters here totally abandoning the team this season, rather than recognizing that with 4 freshmen playing against guys 4 or 5 years older, we are in rebuilding mode.

I really enjoyed my season ticket this year and will be in CHA again next season.

The constant ripping into Fran and his kids, the blame game on CHA environment when you clowns have never even purchased a season ticket, the attacks on college kids who are working the equivalent of two full time jobs, you guys who did not sit through Alfraud and Lackluster, after watching Miller, Lute, Dr.Tom, should be ashamed of your lack of context on Hawkeye basketball.

Thank you, man!

you are a trolling asshole. If this site is going to devolve into a forum for ripping into college kids, I am done with it.

Stick around, Huck, you add a lot to the site

Color and insight

Last edited:
Just to be clear. Fran is an outstanding offensive coach. His players love him. He has won a ton of games. Never, ever has there been a hint of impropriety in our program, and he has consistently recruited players of high character who are truly student athletes. That matters to me.

His defense is awful. His attention to rebounding success is very bad. He needs to focus on improvement in those areas, and be held accountable.

Recruitment is tough at Iowa, especially with the level of talent in the home front. But, he has been successful enough to consistently finish in the upper 1/3 of the BT.

So I am not blind to his perceived faults. But, hey. Look in the mirror…

And for the record if you’re calling my posts out for trolling since I don’t post much on here anymore then maybe just maybe it’s because I’ve given up on this t am years ago and find very little value in spending my time on arcing the same shit year in and year out.

It’s been pretty obvious something is off with him. I’m not the only one who sees it. Open your eyes and you can see it too.

He was moving slow and had a hitch or limp in his walk. A couple times when Iowa missed shots he didn’t even get back on defense. Obviously in some kind of pain. No explosion toward the offensive basket.

As far as Fran was concerned he was a calm cucumber most of the game. Not once yelling at the officials. He may have said a comment once or twice but the grave majority of the game he was laid back. I was close enough to hear what few comments he said to the ref. Not one explosion from him. He questioned the one shot clock violation but he wasn’t angry about it. Some comments were made on the forum about his face being red with anger. Never happened. I was surprised how gray his hair has gotten. Really seemed like a practice game. A few times when we started to make moves and got it under ten the players seemed more alive but when balls would go half way in and come out, or just roll around the rim and fall off it just seemed to take the wind out of their sails.

One thing that has got to change is Iowa’s execution on defense. Just god awful. Endless wide open shots for Utah from the outside and many times the Ute players were wide open right under the basket for easy slams or lay ups.

If this is the norm the problem is very serious. Very, very poor defense. This is the core of the problem for Iowa in tournament play. You can’t win sustained games in a row unless you learn to play defense. It really is that simple.

Now it was an NIT game so there is that to consider.

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with the losing team firing a 3 at the end to lose by 8 instead of 11.
You’re ducked in the head. That happens in other sports and fights breakout. It was a completely selfish act whether you and others are willing to admit it.

If you think it’s ok then rewind about 15 seconds and see what the other team did when we (and he) literally left him standing wide open, lane to the bucket and Utah just dribbles it out.

Crowd booed when Fran took a timeout with under 1 min remaining. Just take the L and move on.

Despite a disappointing loss me and my two boys had a great time being at the game and cheering on th players. I wish I lived back home close enough to have seasons tickets. It is always fun to have family venues you can go to and enjoy cheering on your favorite team.

Freeman is the real deal and if he sticks around he is going to be really special by his Junior year. He will need help though in the post. Right now I don’t see who that may be. Sounds like we have a Big coming in that might help. I certainly hope so.

If Inhad to guess I would say that there may have been about two hundred Hawkeyes fans there. The auditorium seemed to be about one fourth to one third full. Mostly Utah fans as you would expect. The student section wasn’t that big but they were loud and year it really helps to have them close to the floor. That needs to change at Iowa.

Can someone please post this separately so Grandpa can see it? He has me on ignore but he needs to read this:

Look, Grandpa, with the transfer portal having 4 freshmen means absolutely nothing in the modern era. They could all develop into NBA caliber players and the likelihood of them finishing their career at Iowa is close to 0% because college basketball is now just about who can hire the best mercenaries to fill gaps out of the transfer portal. Freshmen do not matter and in fact are probably a drag right now. See, e.g., Kentucky.

Recruitment is tough at Iowa, especially with the level of talent in the home front. But, he has been successful enough to consistently finish in the upper 1/3 of the BT.

Can someone please post this separately so Grandpa can see it? He has me on ignore but he needs to read this:

Yo Grandpa, if recruiting is so tough at Iowa, why the hell does Iowa State keep backsliding into the Sweet 16? They managed a two seed this year and have 4 Sweet 16s in about a decade (2014, 2016, 2022, 2024) and have managed to win a pretty strong basketball conference in 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019 and 2024. Why is recruiting at Iowa so hard and so easy at Iowa State? And a guy from Iowa, Doug McDermott, has somehow managed to get Creighton into 3 Sweet 16s in the past five years. Why can he recruit Omaha so well? What is so bad about Iowa City or the University of Iowa that has rendered us with Sioux City as our only pipeline recruiting territory?

Latest posts