As the Hawkeye World Turns...

Rob, the contrast is immense as you point out. I don't think any athletic department has featured such a chasm. Leave it to Iowa.

I would really like Iowa sports writers to explore revenue sports being turned over by universities to minor league teams in exchange for naming right and profits from the team. Players become employees and sign contracts. The current system will never be solved by the NCAA. The Big Ten would become the NCFL, National College Football League and the NCBL for basketball.

I have wondered about the Clark economic impact: thanks for including that $82.5 million number!

I thought your mention of a Caitlin Clark statue was interesting. I had never thought about that, but it seems obvious when you mention it. But when? While I think you can retire a jersey immediately, it feels like something like a statue needs to wait until a player's pro career is over. What do others think?

Clark is the biggest star Iowa athletics will ever produce.
Don’t mean to highjack the thread but this would actually be a fun thread itself. For Iowa I think it’s a no brainer but I would go to as far as to say she’s top 5, maybe even top 2 biggest stars any college or college sports have produced. And “produced” is probably not the right word. Maybe greatest star to have ever come out of……then name the sport/college. The only name that I can think of that had a similar star power to clark is Tim Tebow. And Tim never elevated the sport of football the way clark has elevated women’s college bb. Only because college football doesn’t have the capacity to be elevated like women’s college bb does.

For decades it could be argued that the most famous and/or successful athlete the state of Iowa ever produced was either Bob Feller or Dan Gable. Now Caitlyn is well on her way and may end up surpassing them.

I read the Wright Thompson piece on ESPN.com and it confirmed everything I saw as an outsider looking in.

It is a fascinating read. I have the attention span of a teenager and tap out on most long pieces like that, but not this one.

I understand the duality that Rob is going for with Proctor and CC. I just see it as two separate things.

Agreed. How could it not be two separate things. Many people outside of Iowa will be scratching their heads at what Procter has done. Perhaps school is a bit harder at Iowa than at Alabama?

For decades it could be argued that the most famous and/or successful athlete the state of Iowa ever produced was either Bob Feller or Dan Gable. Now Caitlyn is well on her way and may end up surpassing them.
Who's that? If she's that big we outta be spelling her name correctly.

I read the Wright Thompson piece on ESPN.com and it confirmed everything I saw as an outsider looking in.

It is a fascinating read. I have the attention span of a teenager and tap out on most long pieces like that, but not this one.

I understand the duality that Rob is going for with Proctor and CC. I just see it as two separate things.
No doubt. It took me awhile to read it too but I couldn't stop. It's pretty cool Clark and the team let him linger around to be able to put that together. Some coaches may have looked at that as a total distraction and unnecessary. It all just depends how the players handle it and so far they've all been 1000% more mature about everything then I ever would have.

Latest posts