Hawkeye Hoops Needs More Help

"Consistently good is nice, but it's not enough."
Evidently it is.
Signed,
Kirk Ferentz

"Labeling Carver-Hawkeye Arena as dated is being kind. Little has changed for the average fan experience since Davis walked the sideline."
Our fans seem satisfied.
Signed,
Lisa Bluder

"This ain't Michigan or Ohio State."
Thank goodness. Both fired their coach. One mid-season and one year-end after 8-24 campaign.
Signed,
Beth Goetz

Rob's stats seem to support Fran and KF.

No one has been more critical of Fran than me. He can recruit and not afraid to use portal. (Guess Rob isn't paying attention --- Rebraca & Krikke.) Perhaps not the best coach. (500 wins says something to me.) I thought at times this year he did a masterful coaching job. Fans are fickle. He has a better than nice roster. I think some good young talent. I hope Anthony Perkins stays. I really like him and he can be a great influence.

Agree, students should be down low like every other college. (I know some colleges have students on sidelines.) Behind baseline at visitors end for 2nd half is where students belong. Not sideline as he suggests, taking away from his point about money. Season ticket holders paying top dollar. He doesn't give us student ticket sales numbers. I'm guessing they are the most apathetic.

I sat down low a couple times this year. My choice. My 64+ year old knees can hardly take the trek to top and bathroom. So I used facilities before game and don't fill up on liquid. (Everything I need to know I learned as a child.) His indictment of the arena is the fan base is old, fat, crippled and incontinent? Let's put in stair chairs on every aisle. Vendors? Is he serious? That's what every fans wants............vendors going up and down stairs blocking their view. Plus the opportunity to pass down dripping & sticky beer, soda, ice cream all the while missing 6 shots. Clearly he's a guy who sits in press row which is half way down and plenty of counter space for your fattening artery-clotting salt-laced joint tightening refreshments.

I'm probably way off base. How does Kinnick survive without vendors going up and down aisles? Evidently the Kinnick fan base is different.

If you've read this far you're bored. You can thank me for the nap later. It isn't lost on me Carver was opened in 1983. I was there as a student my 2nd senior year. Having been there several times this year I don't recognize the need for a new arena. Much less how the heck they would do it. They are building the wrestling facility attachment on south side. There isn't any property closer to the hospital.

On Iowa!

Ross Rayner
Safety Harbor, FL
tampabayhawk@aol.com

Evidently it is.
Signed,
Kirk Ferentz

"Labeling Carver-Hawkeye Arena as dated is being kind. Little has changed for the average fan experience since Davis walked the sideline."
Our fans seem satisfied.
Signed,
Lisa Bluder

Thank goodness. Both fired their coach. One mid-season and one year-end after 8-24 campaign.
Signed,
Beth Goetz

No one has been more critical of Fran than me. He can recruit and not afraid to use portal. (Guess Rob isn't paying attention --- Rebraca & Krikke.) Perhaps not the best coach. (500 wins says something to me.) I thought at times this year he did a masterful coaching job. Fans are fickle. He has a better than nice roster. I think some good young talent. I hope Anthony Perkins stays. I really like him and he can be a great influence.

Agree, students should be down low like every other college. (I know some colleges have students on sidelines.) Behind baseline at visitors end for 2nd half is where students belong. Not sideline as he suggests, taking away from his point about money. Season ticket holders paying top dollar. He doesn't give us student ticket sales numbers. I'm guessing they are the most apathetic.

I sat down low a couple times this year. My choice. My 64+ year old knees can hardly take the trek to top and bathroom. So I used facilities before game and don't fill up on liquid. (Everything I need to know I learned as a child.) His indictment of the arena is the fan base is old, fat, crippled and incontinent? Let's put in stair chairs on every aisle. Vendors? Is he serious? That's what every fans wants............vendors going up and down stairs blocking their view. Plus the opportunity to pass down dripping & sticky beer, soda, ice cream all the while missing 6 shots. Clearly he's a guy who sits in press row which is half way down and plenty of counter space for your fattening artery-clotting salt-laced joint tightening refreshments.

I'm probably way off base. How does Kinnick survive without vendors going up and down aisles? Evidently the Kinnick fan base is different.

If you've read this far you're bored. You can thank me for the nap later. It isn't lost on me Carver was opened in 1983. I was there as a student my 2nd senior year. Having been there several times this year I don't recognize the need for a new arena. Much less how the heck they would do it. They are building the wrestling facility attachment on south side. There isn't any property closer to the hospital.

On Iowa!

Ross Rayner
Safety Harbor, FL
tampabayhawk@aol.com
I agree.....I agree with you the student seating needs to be fixed. I would like to see it look like Michigan St...what they do with their student section.

Really good point about women's basketball. Does not seem to be a problem there. Yes, someone would say this is all about Caitlin Clark. Well, Lisa recruited her.....and if you recruit well at key positions, you can have what the women's basketball program has.

Agree that Iowa hoops need help

We sure ain't Michigan or Ohio State but it is reasonable to make comparisons to our in state rival. 3 years ago like 2-21 Otzelberger comes in and coaches them to the sweet 16 first year and maybe farther this year.
doubt the NIL made the difference. Not sure how much Clones have but would be surprised if it was a lot? Iowa State doesn't have the resources we have. Hilton built in 1971 much better basketball venue than Carver built in 1983. Fan base at Iowa State is just way better. Not sure but demographics might have something to do with it. I would guess and it's just a guess that Iowa's fan base is older.
Everyone has an opinion on coaching. I would think that coaching and recruiting is why the respective programs are where they are today. I guess Id be ready to trade but that's just my opinion

I'm one who will come to defense of Fran even though I question some of the line ups that end up on the floor. I'll defend Fran for the results of this season. The roster is blessed with freshmen with talent to get much better. Mulvaney (sp), Bowen, , Payton Sandfort, Perkins and Dix represent next years upper class-men and other than Dix and Sandfort I don't see them contributing much in the future. I'm not sure what Perkins will do. I got a feeling a number of schools will recruit him. Krike was a mid-major transfer and when the competition became in-conference it became obvious.

Anyway, between players that red shirted and got a covid year has really impacted this season and it will again next season. You have a situation where Brock Harding is playing against 25 year old men. In the context of this setting Iowa did pretty good reaching 10 conference wins.

I'll agree the commitment to men's basketball is not the top priority, but at this time it is a bad idea to blame it all on the coach. Until Iowa gets older, stronger and more experienced than the opposition Iowa will struggle along.

Evidently it is.
Signed,
Kirk Ferentz

Our fans seem satisfied.
Signed,
Lisa Bluder

Signed,
Beth Goetz

On Iowa!

Ross Rayner
Safety Harbor, FL
tampabayhawk@aol.com
2nd, Senior Year? let me guess you're on the Faber College curriculum. You, related to Bultarsky by any chance. You are correct your dissertation here, had me going to get the no-doze. Posted on another thread previously, I don't care if the kids are playing in a local Y, the coach and the kids had their destiny in their hands, they are a 7 seed (joke) and Ohio state a 10, came out Flat as a Pancake, problem starts with the coach, he recruits right, then trickle down to the kids, once again I say, these kids should be playing at a mid-major, probably would enjoy it much more.

I didn't forget about the transfer portal additions. Bakari Evelyn was a nice addition as well, even though it was pre-NIL. These guys all helped the program to varying degrees and are good dudes.

With all due respect to them, the stakes continue being raised. I wouldn't say that any of those guys were investments like the ones made for McNamara and company in last year's football portal class or the compensation awarded to the super seniors coming back in this year's portal class on the gridiron.

NIL investments aren't everything in winning and losing as we saw with Iowa Football last season. But who knows what might have happened had McNamara and All stayed healthy?

You still need a good coach, and in Iowa's case, one that can develop competitors, no matter the sport. Facilities remain important, although, many at the Power-5 level are well beyond functional. The Hawkeyes are in excellent shape in football and wrestling.

Fans have always been able to donate their funds to help a specific sport. The difference now is there's another mouth to feed - the student-athlete.

The Swarm Collective doesn't control who gets what. Neither does the athletic department. It still doles out unmarked funds for operations, facility upgrades, etc, like it did before NIL.

I have no dog in the fight for where your money goes. But as things stand now, the fan base can play a healthy role in acquisition and retention of student-athletes. And it can direct that support to whichever programs it wants, giving however much it wants in helping with roster building.

I started thinking about how this might play out a few years ago. This piece included the reality that there's only so much money to go around.

Insightful

Enjoy the Mensa meetings

And on my end of this convo is done. My column contains my thoughts on the matter. I don't have time for your bullshit.
I think it was, Bluto, was on the double secret probation list, at least he has that going for him. Yeah, I agree this platform, drinks allot of the "Hawkeye", Kool aide which by the way, taste like shit, however, you just keep on doing the thinking Butch.

The best part about this "platform" is we get to block who we don't care to have around here. Poof. You're not longer on the "platform" because we approve new users. And there are other ways to make being here frustrating.

I agree.....I agree with you the student seating needs to be fixed. I would like to see it look like Michigan St...what they do with their student section.

Really good point about women's basketball. Does not seem to be a problem there. Yes, someone would say this is all about Caitlin Clark. Well, Lisa recruited her.....and if you recruit well at key positions, you can have what the women's basketball program has.
To be fair, there has to be a Caitlin Clark to recruit before you can recruit her. If the greatest men's player to ever play the game grows up in Iowa anytime soon and commits to the hawks, whoever happens to be coaching them at the time will become a God, even if it's Fran. Of course the problem with that is said men's player would only be there one year, where as the women stay for 4.

To be fair, there has to be a Caitlin Clark to recruit before you can recruit her. If the greatest men's player to ever play the game grows up in Iowa anytime soon and commits to the hawks, whoever happens to be coaching them at the time will become a God, even if it's Fran. Of course the problem with that is said men's player would only be there one year, where as the women stay for 4.
True.....but it doesn't even have to be Clark Level. It is just needs to be a couple of good/great guards....don't have to be all-time. We can't even get that.

Insightful

Enjoy the Mensa meetings

And on my end of this convo is done. My column contains my thoughts on the matter. I don't have time for your bullshit.
I have long ago put Larry,Legend in his own mind, on ignore. Yup. You clearly stated your views. Enuf said. Let me think. Pay attention to Mr. Howe, or Larry? That was easy.

Latest posts