Hawkeyes Knock Off Michigan State

We have been for 2 games. Still a tough road to finish out.....and then there is post-season play with Fran leading the way.

Love beating Izzo at his place, but already preparing for the NIT.

Win @Illinois and it gets really interesting.

Anytime we beat Izzo it’s a good day.

I like how this team is playing. Beat PSU and likely a lock for the NIT.

Knock of NW and split Illinois? Things could get very interesting.

Iowa has no bad losses. Could end up .500 in conference. Make a little noise to finish the season and make a little noise in conference tourney and they could still sneak into the Dance.

How are we not even in a next 4 out discussion? I get we’re not making it but we should be on the edge of things by now. We’re 51 in the kenpom.

The clowns are 8 and with no dominant team this year I am concerned about them.

Funny game. It seems like we lost that 2nd half by 20. Every time looked at the score we were still up by 11 or 8. I think Mich St. only gained about 4-5 Pt's on Iowa from half-time.

How are we not even in a next 4 out discussion? I get we’re not making it but we should be on the edge of things by now. We’re 51 in the kenpom.

The clowns are 8 and with no dominant team this year I am concerned about them.
We are 3rd in the next 4 after that. If we win Saturday we might even make it up to last 4 in. Big if tho.

What I loved most about last night was the manner in which Iowa won. East Lansing. Tom Izzo. Crowd into it. Not many threes going down. And yet Iowa was the grittier team, showing the superior mental and physical toughness. Krikke dug out the rebound when Iowa absolutely needed it. Perkins found a way to the basket when Iowa had to have points, either getting the layup or hitting free throws.

If this team can keep showing grit, it has a chance.

I was amazed by two things related to Owen Freeman. I was first surprised that we won that game with him being on the floor so little due to fouls. His absence for that long should have sunk our ship. It didn't.

Second, even with such limited minutes, he was incredibly effective when on the floor. He scored, screened, rebounded and was a rim protector. He needs to learn to be more foul savvy, but damn he is good.

This Iowa team is constructed so differently than past iterations. Our three starting perimeter players can all drive to the hoop and have very effective midrange game. Add in McCaffrey and Harding, who also drive effectively, and you have a mostly drive and dish team. The three point line is less prominent with this group.

Ok, I am getting annoyed that Iowa is not in any bubble discussion that I can find. ESPN has St. Johns as next 4 out and they are 14-12 overall, 6-9 in conference. Really?

Ok, I am getting annoyed that Iowa is not in any bubble discussion that I can find. ESPN has St. Johns as next 4 out and they are 14-12 overall, 6-9 in conference. Really?
That's because of their coach. They aren't making it. I see where he has 4 last byes, last 4 in and last 4 out. Iowa is currently on THE NEXT four out. But, they haven't been on any listing since November so I'm excited it's even an option. Still a pretty uphill battle IMO.

Were we ever gone?

#natty2024
We left when Lick was here. Fran got here and we were back, then not, then we were, lather, rinse and repeat. Earlier this year, we were gone again, and now were back...until we lose 3 of the next 4. Love these boards.

For the young'ns on here or the ones that weren't here when Fran got here, search titles "we're back". Some classic stuff.

I was amazed by two things related to Owen Freeman. I was first surprised that we won that game with him being on the floor so little due to fouls. His absence for that long should have sunk our ship. It didn't.

Second, even with such limited minutes, he was incredibly effective when on the floor. He scored, screened, rebounded and was a rim protector. He needs to learn to be more foul savvy, but damn he is good.

He is becoming the focal point of this team, IMO, just for the reasons you mention above. Teams are now going to have to scout and scheme more to deal with him, I think.

He really needs to understand more when to foul and when to just let the play go. He can stand tall but don't lean or jump into players. Make the offensive player alter their shot and maybe they will miss.

Dembele seemed to be a bit lost defending on the inside of the 3-2 and got crossed up on a couple plays. We really missed Freeman in the game when playing the 3-2.