QB recruiting

Let’s review our recent HS QB recruits.

Hogan
Padilla
Mansell
Lainez
Labas

None of these recruits saw any appreciable game minutes, despite very poor play by the starting QBs over the last few years..

My question is:
Are Kirk/Staff very poor judges of HS QB talent?
or
Is this disappointing level of QB talent the only talent willing to come to Iowa?
Yes

Padilla probably would have stuck around if McNamara was not recruited, so he would have started the bowl game instead of Labas. So Padilla would have been the starter at QB in 2023. Iowa probably goes 11-3 with Padilla as starter.
Padilla was not the answer just another?

Even that tatted up kid that went to TT who was with us did too. I'm trying to remember his name damn it.... But he was 3rd behind JR and CJB while they were together for a yr or two. I don't think he ever saw the field for us though
You made me look it up. Forgot about that dude but he was more than serviceable for Tech....Nic Shimonek. There hasn't been a QB that has left Iowa under Ferentz that hasn't done well to really well that I can think of.

You made me look it up. Forgot about that dude but he was more than serviceable for Tech....Nic Shimonek. There hasn't been a QB that has left Iowa under Ferentz that hasn't done well to really well that I can think of.
Thank you yes that's who I was thinking of. Yeah he had a cup of coffee in NFL camps if I remember right that was the last I'd heard his name pretty much. He did have a solid yr under Kingsbury.

Theirs been QBs that left and didn't do much though. Padilla and May most recently. Petras probably won't do squat next yr at Utah St.

The QB I wish woulda gotten more of a shot with Iowa is Ryan Boyle. The timing of being there when Stanley was just didn't lead to him having much of a fair shot. Iowa wanted him to change positions and all that. But I was intrigued with his athleticism. He was a really smart guy and If Iowa woulda hitched their wagons to him it coulda been fun to see what his ceiling could've been.

Hopefully we will see significant improvement since Tim was a good QB and will not only be the OC but also the quarterback coach.

Our last selection as a QB coach was like hiring a a plumber to be a brain surgeon.

Hopefully we will see significant improvement since Tim was a good QB and will not only be the OC but also the quarterback coach.

Our last selection as a QB coach was like hiring a a plumber to be a brain surgeon.
Well, D, I would not have a problem with that…

Lester will have to be the evaluator at QB recruiting going forward, although I like the current players and think Marko and Cade can get it done. The incoming freshman is such a good athlete I hope we run plays for him until he is ready to actually compete for a starting position. Lester has a lot of raw clay to work with.

Lester will have to be the evaluator at QB recruiting going forward, although I like the current players and think Marko and Cade can get it done. The incoming freshman is such a good athlete I hope we run plays for him until he is ready to actually compete for a starting position. Lester has a lot of raw clay to work with.

The secrete to a great quarterback isn’t just his great athletic ability it his mental faculties. Those who have ascended to the greatest success over many years are those who can think quick and make quick decisions of what to do with the ball and where to put it. Lester is well aware of this and once he recruits these types of QB’s and brings them to Iowa it will be a game changer.

What if Lester slides Hill from QB to FB. Think about it… he's got the weight to be a lead blocker, “speed” to take a handoff for 4th&1, arm strength (needs to work on accuracy) for FB toss trick plays. I’m excited for the future of this offense’s potential, go hawks!

What if Lester slides Hill from QB to FB. Think about it… he's got the weight to be a lead blocker, “speed” to take a handoff for 4th&1, arm strength (needs to work on accuracy) for FB toss trick plays. I’m excited for the future of this offense’s potential, go hawks!

I wouldn't hate this if we have to keep Hill around. There is a trick play that could be run out of that formation, but it will only work once. Imagine if we beat Ohio at the Shoe on a fullback pass to the TE. They'd explode.

Straight up that's the only way I'd be cool with Hill staying on the roster... I'm almost positive he's not leaving cause where's he gonna go? Iowa can't yank his scholly I don't think. So put him at FB and see if he's got any shot at all at doing that and if they can sneak in a trick play or two with him then hell yes. But beyond that I don't want him in top 3 on the depth chart for QB. We can't have that again

It would be a steep learning curver for Hill -- and I'm not kidding! He is the worst QB at QB-sneaks I've ever seen, especially considering his size and bulk. He just sort of leans forward and stops moving his legs. Weird! Before he got to Iowa it looked like he'd never done it before in his life!

It would be a steep learning curver for Hill -- and I'm not kidding! He is the worst QB at QB-sneaks I've ever seen, especially considering his size and bulk. He just sort of leans forward and stops moving his legs. Weird! Before he got to Iowa it looked like he'd never done it before in his life!

Yea, I don't think he have the speed or leverage to play FB. I realize they were just joking around but ya can't just assume ya can plug people in because of their size.

Yea, I don't think he have the speed or leverage to play FB. I realize they were just joking around but ya can't just assume ya can plug people in because of their size.
He probably has quick enough feet for a tackle. Start feeding him 5 times a day and move him to the OL room!! :)

It's important to deep dive on what exactly "player development" means at the QB position. I typically think of it in a few key categories, such as:

1) Knowledge of Offense, Understanding, playbook
2) Throwing development, accuracy, technique
3) Quarterbacking mechanics, footwork, ball handling
4) General athletic (physical) development

The most frustrating thing for me is the lack of success in categories 3 and 4. When we look back on our frustrations with Iowa quarterbacks and lack of progression, most fans get caught up in points 1 and 2. They says things like, "he's inaccurate, he stares down receivers, and he doesn't have much feel for the game". All of which might be true.

But I'm even more disappointed with the lack of progression in categories 3 and 4. I guess this is specifically a criticism of S. Petras, who's footwork seemingly got worse over the course of his career. And who lost all mobility and athleticism over the course of his career. Not only do we not have/recruit dual-threat QBs, but our guys are going to get a lot slower and less athletic during their careers... Is it a crazy thought that a young QB recruit could develop over the course of 2-3-4 years and get bigger, stronger, faster and in better shape?? Watching Deacon this year REALLY bugged me too. How could you be that out of shape? What are you doing? What on earth were you possibly doing this summer before the season? Absolutely crazy to me.

He probably has quick enough feet for a tackle. Start feeding him 5 times a day and move him to the OL room!! :)
Tackles are usually a teams most athletic big men on the OL who move their feet well as need to cover the D end rush, as well as get downfield on screens. Not a good fit at all. Prob the only place may be guard spot but they pull as well.

It's important to deep dive on what exactly "player development" means at the QB position. I typically think of it in a few key categories, such as:

1) Knowledge of Offense, Understanding, playbook
2) Throwing development, accuracy, technique
3) Quarterbacking mechanics, footwork, ball handling
4) General athletic (physical) development

The most frustrating thing for me is the lack of success in categories 3 and 4. When we look back on our frustrations with Iowa quarterbacks and lack of progression, most fans get caught up in points 1 and 2. They says things like, "he's inaccurate, he stares down receivers, and he doesn't have much feel for the game". All of which might be true.

But I'm even more disappointed with the lack of progression in categories 3 and 4. I guess this is specifically a criticism of S. Petras, who's footwork seemingly got worse over the course of his career. And who lost all mobility and athleticism over the course of his career. Not only do we not have/recruit dual-threat QBs, but our guys are going to get a lot slower and less athletic during their careers... Is it a crazy thought that a young QB recruit could develop over the course of 2-3-4 years and get bigger, stronger, faster and in better shape?? Watching Deacon this year REALLY bugged me too. How could you be that out of shape? What are you doing? What on earth were you possibly doing this summer before the season? Absolutely crazy to me.

They do really at Iowa put the emphasis of mastering the playbook to perfection. In the past those QB's have gotten the call.

Speed isn't really needed for FB. They only gotta take but like 4 or 5 steps till they are hitting someone. They just gotta know where to go and be able to block. Teaching a guy that's maybe never done that is problematic. But not impossible. It's not like anyone has high expectations for the guy. I'd rather he be the backup FB then the 3rd string QB. That's all I know

Speed isn't really needed for FB. They only gotta take but like 4 or 5 steps till they are hitting someone. They just gotta know where to go and be able to block. Teaching a guy that's maybe never done that is problematic. But not impossible. It's not like anyone has high expectations for the guy. I'd rather he be the backup FB then the 3rd string QB. That's all I know

Ya gotta have more speed and acceleration than Deacon Hill, though!!

The player is coming out of a 3 way stance, accelerating than having to get his pads low before contact. C'mon guys. Fullbacks have a few passing routes to do as well. I know we are just playing but this is laughable. You really see Deacon Hill doing that?

Latest posts