"There are certain things that just aren't negotiable."

Grady

That's what Kirk Ferentz replied today when asked how much freedom Tim Lester would have as Iowa's new OCoordinator.
So what things exactly do you think KF believes "aren't negotiable"? I think 'having the offense score quickly' is strongly discouraged. What do you think?

That's what Kirk Ferentz replied today when asked how much freedom Tim Lester would have as Iowa's new OCoordinator.
So what things exactly do you think KF believes "aren't negotiable"? I think 'having the offense score quickly' is strongly discouraged. What do you think?
He believes in protecting the ball and not risking field position which makes it even more mind boggling that he stuck with a QB who couldnt protect the ball.

I posted this in the Tim Lester is the guy thread but here it is again, so you don't have to go there to read it. I'm so looking forward to fall now.

UEcuxoA.png

When asked about the offense, he talks a lot about the defense. That's all you need to know. It's gonna be more of the same, boys.

Real Shocker! So f**king Kirk! Oh well my dad's 90 and he still doesn't comprehend 2024 to 1964! In kirk we trust! Top of the morning to you good captain! Star log Dec 2nd, 1998 !

Last edited:
Nothing will change. Expect more running into stacked boxes, throwing short of the markers, punting, and playing defense......and God Bless the Defense (Parker) and Punting or Iowa would be bottom of the barrel.

Nothing will change. Expect more running into stacked boxes, throwing short of the markers, punting, and playing defense......and God Bless the Defense (Parker) and Punting or Iowa would be bottom of the barrel.
Imagine what will happen when we don't have the defensive horses some year! Then what Kirk? Well, we got five more years for Kirk to show us atleast.

Fumbling from a running back or wide receiver. But it’s perfectly fine if the qb leads the team in the category

It’ll always be a run first, playaction based offense.
True, and I'm fine with no air raid, run-and-shoot, chuck-and-duck, oopty f***in oop, etc. But you're right and I think we all knew it. Not sure if the ones that turned it down wanted more control, but you knew it was going to be the case.

Having said that. Everyone bitches about our audible to the short side of the field. That's all about numbers. If they have the field stacked and numbers favor us the the boundary, that's where we're going to, and should, go. Doesn't always produce, but it does more often than message board experts think.

Lester's offense in the past does the same thing. It's similar to the triple option. If the read man comes down on the dive man or QB, it's a pull/pitch. His is the multiple RPO. Read a certain defender and either give, pull and run or pull and throw.

The read could be:

the DE for the RB run or QB keep
the OLB to hit the slant
the MLB or SS to hit the TE.
the OLB and the WR/WR's and TE have one less defender on their side
the read could be a non-read to keep the defense honest..

There were a lot of other things that I saw on different videos I watched. Very interesting route combinations. The same ol' same ol' combos we've seen the last few years (short flood, etc) were almost nonexistent and there was more downfield passing and middle of the field passes to the WR's. Not the GDGD/BF horizontal pass plays.

I watched more than I thought I would because it is a very interesting and effective offense. Obviously I'm by no means an expert but I love watching and breaking down film (I've been a HS D coordinator for 26 years). I know there is a lot more to it and many other things that are too complex and intricate for me to understand.

I'm sure the offense will stay safe (from TO's) and I hope it does, but I also hope it's creative enough to be able to beat/compete with the top 5 teams in the conference.

Having the offense score quickly...NO. Having the offense go 3 and out...acceptable. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I've never understood the idea that it's bad to score quickly. FFS...the object of the game is to score more than your opponent. So if you can get points, take them! I know the rationale used to justify it. If you're playing a superior team, limiting the number of possessions will keep you closer. But it's still a "play not to lose" approach.
It's kept us in some games with superior opponents where we've won. No doubt. It's also kept inferior opponents in games where they shouldn't have been close and we've lost a number of those.

True, and I'm fine with no air raid, run-and-shoot, chuck-and-duck, oopty f***in oop, etc. But you're right and I think we all knew it. Not sure if the ones that turned it down wanted more control, but you knew it was going to be the case.

Having said that. Everyone bitches about our audible to the short side of the field. That's all about numbers. If they have the field stacked and numbers favor us the the boundary, that's where we're going to, and should, go. Doesn't always produce, but it does more often than message board experts think.

Lester's offense in the past does the same thing. It's similar to the triple option. If the read man comes down on the dive man or QB, it's a pull/pitch. His is the multiple RPO. Read a certain defender and either give, pull and run or pull and throw.

The read could be:

the OLB to hit the slant

There were a lot of other things that I saw on different videos I watched. Very interesting route combinations. The same ol' same ol' combos we've seen the last few years (short flood, etc) were almost nonexistent and there was more downfield passing and middle of the field passes to the WR's. Not the GDGD/BF horizontal pass plays.

I watched more than I thought I would because it is a very interesting and effective offense. Obviously I'm by no means an expert but I love watching and breaking down film (I've been a HS D coordinator for 26 years). I know there is a lot more to it and many other things that are too complex and intricate for me to understand.

I'm sure the offense will stay safe (from TO's) and I hope it does, but I also hope it's creative enough to be able to beat/compete with the top 5 teams in the conference.
Nice post with good insight.

As for the bolded part, I have yet to see anone compliment a run to the short side that produced a first down, or better. They work more than the average Joe realizes.

The read could be:

the OLB to hit the slant

I have not really studied RPO much. I was wrong in my thought that it involved the QB heavily involved personally in the run option. Didn’t like that idea. See Nebraska and the injuries the QB. Kind of ignored it. Your explanation helped me. It is consistent with what I have read about the real RPO, I think.

More recently, I actually look at RPO as a variation of the play action concept with much quicker, specific, limited reads. Play action does not allow the option, but relies on successful running plays to set up the pass. PA also relies more on the QB ultimately scanning the field and selecting options 1-3 on his reads. Tough on the QB and the O line.

So, I would bet my next social security check that KF knew damn well what he was getting from Tim. The marriage of RPO and PA is a natural. Simple addition, I think. I am convinced we will see RPO on the field in 2024. A lot. Mix it in with PA. I like that. Opponents won’t.

BTW, I have argued unsuccessfully that we count numbers to determine directions on running plays. Short side, wide side, doesn’t matter. Just count. Duh.

I am a Packer fan. I read and listen to what they do offensively under Matt with apologies to Shannahan. I understand that he wants his QB to throw the damn ball, not run unless it presents itself. He relies heavily on inside/outside zone, which HN posters often complain about. Packer’s run game uses counter, cut back action, man on man variations, including some vicious trap blocking. So does Iowa. I have argued long and hard that Iowa and the Pack have mirror offensive schemes. But, we were missing RPO. Now we are not. Go Hawks!

BTW, I coached for lots of years at CR Prairie and even longer at CR Kennedy. Mostly offensive backs. So I get O and blocking schem…

Finally: I am not really good on coaching points for receivers and route selections. Enjoyed your views. Would be good to hear from you on this post. Criticism/corrections welcome.

No. KF has stated clearly and correctly that the non negotiable rules are, don’t turn the damn ball over, focus on field position, time of possession, rely on excellence in the special teams, the defense, and expect the O to score points. Complementary football is the goal of any and all smart coaches. Watch the NFL. End of story.

Wanna bet? You really, really think KF is too dumb to recognize that the offense stinks?

Latest posts