I Can Already Hear It Now.

Disagree strongly. First off, while Beth did the right thing in letting BF know that his contract would not be renewed next season, it would have been a complete overreach for her to relieve him of his duties midseason absent misconduct. Right or wrong, KF is the HC and the AD should not be dictating a coaching staff midseason, even under these weird circumstances.

Second, I had no problem with BF staying on and KF wanting him too. Although lots of people would like to forget this, at the time you are talking about we were still fighting for a conference championship. I can see the wisdom in not firing an OC right before that and putting in one the assistants who has not called plays before. As for the bowl prep period, I know that lots on here do not think bowls are relevant. I do. KF does. The players do. So, I had no issue with BF staying on board and I can see the wisdom in KF not parading new OC candidates down the hall in front of the players and BF.

Look, you don't know what was happening behind the scenes, nor do I. We don't know if backchannels were in play in December or not. Even if not, check out ESPN, there are still teams searching for OCs today.

Finally, while a search could have started sooner, it would have been foolish to hire anyone until after the college and NFL seasons wrapped up to see what coaching staffs were put onto the market. January was the right timeframe to make this hire.

KF did not miss out on anyone. Once Chryst passed, Lester, or someone just like Lester, was exactly who KF was going to hire. He got his man, for better or worse.

I am not saying Goetz should have named an interim in October, I am saying that KF should have. I think that would have been best for the long-term prospects of the program.

I am not saying Goetz should have named an interim in October, I am saying that KF should have. I think that would have been best for the long-term prospects of the program.
KF was and should have been focused on trying to win a conference championship. Probably Iowa's last chance to win one for some time. Changing OC's in the middle of the season and putting in a rookie playcaller is quite a risky gamble. The smart move was to play out the string with the coaches all in their existing position and then move on when the season was over. BF should have never been brought back for '23, but once that call was made, coaching changes midseason are a desperate move at best, and generally an ill-advised move.

Even if KF had done what you said, he would not have hired the home-run OC splashy hire that fans wanted. A Lester was all that this hire was ever going to be.

Latest posts