Spring Two Deep Roster & Thoughts

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Here is a look at the first two deep of spring ball, with some of my thoughts on each position.

WR - Marvin McNutt, Keenan Davis, Paul Chaney Jr.
WR - Derrell Johnson-Koulinos, Colin Sandeman
TE - Allen Reisner, Brad Herman

JON'S TAKE: McNutt, DJK and Davis have a 'chance' to be the most dynamic receiving trio we have seen in a long time. Kirk Ferentz said this of Davis at Wednesday's press conference: "He’s really done well. I would compare it a little bit like A.J. Edds, he played a lot his freshman year, true freshman year, but he played a lot and I think that year really benefitted and gave him confidence that following spring, and we are hoping to see that with Keenan. I think we should. I think he’s a more mature guy than he was, obviously, and he’s certainly more comfortable with what he’s doing. We hope to see him at a whole different speed this spring and we are optimistic we will."

Then Ferentz had this to say about McNutt: "Marvin played well last year, especially well at times, but he’s still learning and his best football should be in front of him. With a little bit of luck, he’ll have this coming year like Clayborn did last year where he really starts to play consistently at a level we think he’s capable of. "

Good comments and thoughts all around...Ferentz's mentioning McNutt in the same breath as Clayborn with regards to development should not go unnoticed. Kirk doesn't say things like that just to be talking. He errors on the conservative. He also talked about tight end depth, and said they know they have one Big Ten starter in Reisner, but behind him, they have guys that have flashed but no one has been consistent. I think this is a spot where a freshman can come in and play some; enter All American C.J. Fiedorowicz, who I think will see the field.

LT - Riley Reiff, Kyle Haganman
LG - Julian Vandervelde, Drew Clark
C - Josh Koeppel/James Ferentz
RG - Adam Gettis, Cody Hundertmark
RT - Marcus Zusevics, Nolan MacMillan

JON'S TAKE: The offensive line is the key to the 2010 season. I can't be more blunt than that. Ferentz said this year's team will be smaller, "But that's OK. We probably have eight or nine guys competing for the top spots. It’s going to be interesting. We have a lot of guys on pretty equal footing as far as the competition goes."

QB - Rick Stanzi, James Vandenberg, John Wienke
RB - Adam Robinson, Brandon Wegher, Jewel Hampton
FB - Brett Morse, Wade Leppert

JON'S TAKE: Ferentz said all 22 positions on the team are open, and that Vandenberg will push Stanzi and make him a better quarterback. But it's Rick's job; in the last 14 games that Stanzi has started and finished, Iowa is 14-0. Stanzi is 18-4 as a starter, with one of those losses being the Northwestern game in 2009 where he was knocked out due to injury. At running back, Ferentz said that Hampton has been cleared to practice, which is pretty amazing. Ferentz said he's not going to get tackled, nor will most of the running backs. But you have to think that Jewel will be full speed come August given this much time to go at it. Robinson will not practice during the spring as he recovers from off season shoulder surgery.

DE - Adrian Clayborn, Lebron Daniel
DT - Karl Klug, Steve Bigach
DT - Christian Ballard, Mike Daniels
DE - Broderick Binns, Dominic Alvis

JON'S TAKE: Alvis will not start out 100% as he is nicked up with a groin, but Ferentz did say this: " We're not sure how much we’ll get out of him this spring. He’s a young defensive lineman and we were hoping to get a good look at him. I’m not sure we are going to get that." That Ferentz mentioned him is noteworthy, in my opinion. He also had high praise for Adrian Clayborn, which should come as no surprise. But this was another moment where Ferentz heaped the praise, something he doesn't normally do. He was asked if he felt Clayborn could earn the kind of national praise heaped on Nebraska's Suh this past year: "Assuming he keeps progressing and playing like he has, he’ll be one of the best in the country and feedback I got, he would have been a first round pick this year, so maybe, you know, a year from now, he’ll be even higher, which I think he will be. "

OLB - Tyler Nielsen, Jeff Tarpinian
MLB - Troy Johnson, Bruce Davis
WLB - Jeremiha Hunter, Jeff Tarpinian

JON'S TAKE: Ferentz basically said that he feels Iowa will have strong linebacker play this year, and this group gives Iowa a lot of flexibility to move people around at different positions. He said he is more worried about this position for 2011, as there are a lot of seniors in this group...which he said will likely mean one or two freshmen LB's will likely play this year if they show they can.

CB - Micah Hyde, Willie Lowe/Jordan Bernstine
CB - Shaun Prater, Greg Castillo
FS - Brett Greenwood, Nick Nielsen/Jack Swanson
SS - Tyler Sash, Tom Donatell

JON'S TAKE: Micah Hyde was someone Iowa raved about last August, and we saw him on the field last fall. Iowa has solid depth at cornerback, perhaps the best they have had under Ferentz even after they have lost a corner in each of the last two seasons that will be getting paid to play on Sunday's. Sash and Greenwood will miss spring ball this year as they recover from shoulder surgery, but it didn't hurt them last fall. The secondary should be one of the Big Ten's best again in 2010, as will the entire defense. There is a chance this year's defense could be just as good as last year's, if not better, because the defensive line is going to kick it into another gear. This line should rival the 2004, 2003 and 2002 groups.

P - Ryan Donahue, Eric Guthrie
K - Daniel Murray, Trent Mossbrucker

JON'S TAKE: Ferentz said the placekicking job was wide open...they are looking at this as a dead heat again this year like they did last year, with Ferentz saying they can get better production from this area than they did a year ago. Mossbrucker redshirted last year, so if Murray struggles in 2010, there may be a shorter hook.

KR - Keenan Davis, Derrell Johnson-Koulianos
PR - Colin Sandeman, Tyler Sash

JON'S TAKE: Tell me that kickoff return combination isn't a tantalizing tandem? And how about BOTH Sandeman and Sash back on punts, with Sash being a blocker at times?

Last edited:
I know this is early and things will change but...

I was suprised to see that Tarpinian wasn't in line to be a starting LB. I also thought Bernstine would be a starting CB.

I like it. The one big thing that could change going into the fall is how well CJ handles himself. He may break the two deep in front of Hermon at TE.

I know this is early and things will change but...

I think you had it right there :)

Of all of the depth charts that are released during the year, the first depth chart of the spring carries the least weight come September. HOWEVER, this year, it lets us see who is in the mix at LB and OL

I don't even care that these two deeps don't mean much. This just adds to the happiness I feel that Iowa football is back for a few weeks!

I don't even care that these two deeps don't mean much. This just adds to the happiness I feel that Iowa football is back for a few weeks!

LOL I hear that...it feels good to write about something other than a coaching search

And how about BOTH Sandeman and Sash back on punts, with Sash being a blocker at times?

I always liked it when Hayden used two punt returners. The short man would fair catch short punts and also advise the long man whether or not to fair catch. Plus he could block. I hate it when a short punt bounces past the returner - the two man system reduces the chances of this.

I'd like to see Wegher and Davis get a shot at punt returns. I think Sandeman is a very solid WR but he has left a ton to be desired on punt returns in my un-important opinion. The lack of fielding the ball in the Orange Bowl cost the squad probably 50+ yards in field position. When it comes down to it, In KF I trust.

And how about BOTH Sandeman and Sash back on punts, with Sash being a blocker at times?

I always liked it when Hayden used two punt returners. The short man would fair catch short punts and also advise the long man whether or not to fair catch. Plus he could block. I hate it when a short punt bounces past the returner - the two man system reduces the chances of this.

Great point creek, could help eliminate what I referenced in the post above.

There's one player not currently in school that has a chance to make the two deep this fall. That player is James Morris.

From all accounts this kid is special. Those in the know say he's probably one of the best prep football players to ever come out of the state of Iowa.

Some are saying Morris is a better athlete and football player than Derby.

Jon

Who do you think our third best WR is? Obviously McNutt and DJK have their spots, but (and yes, I'm extremely bias) I have a hard time believing KD is far behind, and I can't see Sandeman ahead of him.

The kids just so talented, I actually think at times last year, he could of played better than Stross. Obviously Stross knew the playbook better.

Thank you so much for breaking my 8 day streak of reading nothing but bball coach posts haha

good write up Jon

Actually, I think Sandeman is an excellent punt returner...and could be close to Eddie Hinkel next year. He has a real knack of making the first man miss and getting max yards out of each return.

Not sure I want a valuable guy like Sash back there...preserve that man!
Really looking forward to Keenan Davis's second year...saw glimpses of his potential,and he is gonna be a stud. DJK and McNutt are awesome...and Sandeman is a very reliable possesion receiver.

I thought is was kind of funny that someone asked KF if James was ahead of Bryan at this point...KF was properly non-commital...Mary might not want any in-family debates!

I also think Tarp has to be on the field a lot...human missile on KO coverage...love those big hits.

I like that KF kept saying 22 positions are open,but really,have we had many teams where there are less quesiton marks? Maybe corner,but Berstine was slated to start last year,so not like we do not have starter quality there.

Injuries will be the key as always....our depth is better,but at certain positions,just cannot have injuries.
And thinking about Ricky being back give me a warm fuzzy feeling...love those 3 year QBs! Stay healthy,Ricky!

It will be hard to fight the hype,for fans and more importantly,the players. Looking forward to the BTN's visit to spring camp and their coverage of the spring game.
Go Hawks!!

Kirk was highly favorable of Huntermark. I'm not so sure we won't be seeing him in a starting role. Orne seems to be missing. I would have liked to see a little more love for him if he's in the mix.

I am pretty excited to see that Dominic Alvis is listed on the two deep as a red shirt freshman. He graduate high school with my nephew and I have watched him play a number of times. Plus, he is a great kid. Extremely athletic having won State Track titles in the 110 high hurdles and the discus. Looking forward to great things from this kid!

Wegher was fantastic on KR's last year.

Sandeman had a great 2009 as a punt returner. Sure hands & great decisions.

Understand it is early and things change. Also understand the measureables don't look like they've been updated but the offense looks very small to me.

My thoughts for what it is worth

The size of that oline will get absolutely manhandled. There is just not enough beef especially in the middle. I would think somebody would have to move around. I also think that the center position is going to kill us just like in 2007.

I wonder if we have problems with health of Sash and Greenwood if they will move Berstein to safety. Of the CBs he seems most likely to be able to switch and when you have that much depth at CB and so little at safety it seems to make sense.

Last edited:

Wegher was fantastic on KR's last year.

Sandeman had a great 2009 as a punt returner. Sure hands & great decisions.

Wegher was solid but I wouldn't say he was fantastic. I think DJK and Davis give us the best chance of breaking a big return. I do like Sandeman as punt returner though, he seemed to be the only guy who wasn't afraid to catch the ball sometimes. Some of the other punt returners had a tendency to let the ball bounce, and lose valuable yards in the process.

Latest posts