No bowl = no Kirk?

Jordell

For the majority of the Kirk Ferentz era the Hawkeye's offense has been in the bottom half of cfb. The last few years it has become painful to watch. And when any guy who played Pop Warner football can correctly guess the play call 75%, and 95% of the time on critical down and distances, it's a little predictable.

I don't think its by chance that KOK took a job in Miami. I'm guessing Kirk got one of those semi-friendly "you make changes, or we will make changes" nudges.

So what do we get? The same offense with Greg Davis' horizontal passing game. Which so far looks even more inept than the normal Kirk O's. The philosophies do not appear to have changed. Running the zone stretch into 8 - 9 man fronts, on the short side of the field is still present. And the playing calling is equally predictable.

In the case that the O continues to be un-watchable the rest of the season, and the team only wins 3, 4, 5 games, do the football powers finally pull Kirk's lifetime pass?

They can't. The buyout has got to be over $20 million. He is ours for the long haul, like it or not.

Kirk would have to have at least 3 seasons of non bowling for there to be a change. I believe that will not happen. We will go to bowl games in 2 of the 3 next years, but they will be lower tier (Insight, etc)

What I see as the main problem is recruiting. We simply do not have the athletes that top tier teams have. We do not even have the athletes that Northern I'll, Iowa St, or even Northern Iowa have. Bottom line: we are slow and uncoordinated. I hate the defeatist attitude Kirk takes on this.

The only way I could see a change at this point is if Ferentz just decided he was sick of it and retired. Considering he just had his son move from New England to Iowa City, I doubt that happens.

Our program is no where near trouble right now. Heard the same things in 2008, and we saw them imporve game to game. The improvement this year has been unlike anything we've ever seen in the KF era.

There were some new things thrown in to the offense on Saturday, if anyone was actually watching.

In the second half, JVB checked several times, and the receivers were where they were supposed to be.

Our program is no where near trouble right now. Heard the same things in 2008, and we saw them imporve game to game. The improvement this year has been unlike anything we've ever seen in the KF era.

There were some new things thrown in to the offense on Saturday, if anyone was actually watching.

In the second half, JVB checked several times, and the receivers were where they were supposed to be.

Yeah, I actually agree. If we keep the turnover margin in our favor, the offense will start to gel and we'll get to 6 or maybe 7 wins. Toss in a bowl victory and we might still win 8.

Our defense is looking like it will keep us in games. I'm not concerned to a huge point yet, but I don't think our offense is getting any bette.

Even if we don't win 8 games, this is the right direction. Long term program growth, is usually preceded by emotional pain in the fan base.

Further, ISU isn't a horrible team. There are about 4 teams this year, and everyone else. I'm including the MAC for those who think they are "inferior" to the B1G. One point is La Monroe. How many on here actually thought they were a good team? Well, they are. They were last year, and they are this year.

Please ask Illinois, Nebraska, Arkansas, Wiscy and PSU this morning. although I'd speculate their message board reaction is similiar to our.

Even if we don't win 8 games, this is the right direction. Long term program growth, is usually preceded by emotional pain in the fan base.

Further, ISU isn't a horrible team. There are about 4 teams this year, and everyone else. I'm including the MAC for those who think they are "inferior" to the B1G. One point is La Monroe. How many on here actually thought they were a good team? Well, they are. They were last year, and they are this year.

Please ask Illinois, Nebraska, Arkansas, Wiscy and PSU this morning. although I'd speculate their message board reaction is similiar to our.

Especially, Arkansas. You don't think they are mad? At least we weren't ranked 8th in the country and lost at home like they did.:)

We do not have the talent! Recruiting has been the issue. Let's see how we do with these additions and how they impact recruiting! 2-3 years and if not then blow it all up

Again I agree with all of this.

But, I am not optimistic about the long term prospects if our current number 2 QB isn't better right now than our number 1.

But, I am not optimistic about the long term prospects if our current number 2 QB isn't better right now than our number 1.
a.

Perhaps. However, 3 years in college football is an eternity. Normal teams turn over about 1/3 of players and staff on an annual basis. We might find a QB within 3 years, and we will need to recruit differently for this system.

One is a redshirt freshman, the other is a 5th year senior. And when was the last time Kirk made that kind of a switch, especially when the senior has a track record worth putting a little faith in him?

One is a redshirt freshman, the other is a 5th year senior. And when was the last time Kirk made that kind of a switch, especially when the senior has a track record worth putting a little faith in him?

What is this track record you speak of?

HE TOOK US TO OT AGAINST OSU THREE YEARS AGO AND SHOT A BEAR - SMOKE JVB'S HOG!!!!

You know you're my boy, Golfer, but the language I have bolded above is worth considering. I do not believe that Iowa is a program that is in a spot where it is embarking on long term program growth. At best, we will get a run in a year or two where we get back to that 9 or 10 win plateau where we always peak and then we will regress back to our normal 6 or 7 win valley. If we were building toward a consistent 9 or 10 game winner with a Rose Bowl or two every decade, I would be fine with our current direction, but I've been a Hawk fan way too long to ever let them build my hope up that we are an elite program or that we will be an elite program. 1997, 2005 and 2010 are way too fresh in my memory. I just want them to be at a point where the actual on the field product is worth my 7-8 hour drive to IC or other lengthy drives to Champaign, East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Madison, etc. and I want them to win one Rose Bowl in my lifetime. As much as I wanted to go crush brews with my boys yesterday, there was no way I was going to make the drive to watch that turd offense lose to ISU.

Latest posts