Nice mention for Adrian Clayborn

I wish he would have been playing at 270 his senior year at Iowa like he is now. He was so much more explosive when I saw him last year. He was too heavy his senior year and he lost that little extra explosion to get past people.

I wish he would have been playing at 270 his senior year at Iowa like he is now. He was so much more explosive when I saw him last year. He was too heavy his senior year and he lost that little extra explosion to get past people.

This is an accurate observation.

And it kind of punches another hole in the "Doyle" mystique. I'm not sure "Doyle" is all that he's cracked up to be.

This is an accurate observation.

And it kind of punches another hole in the "Doyle" mystique. I'm not sure "Doyle" is all that he's cracked up to be.

I don't think it is Doyle. I think it is more a factor of how we run the scheme. I am certain he would have had a more productive stat filled senior season if Norm would have let him attack. As it is, his job was to hold the edge and be a big body.

I don't think it is Doyle. I think it is more a factor of how we run the scheme. I am certain he would have had a more productive stat filled senior season if Norm would have let him attack. As it is, his job was to hold the edge and be a big body.

Not sure I can go there with you b10f...if that were true AC wouldn't have kicked a$$ in the same scheme the year before...as for blaming Doyle, I can't go there either...it's on Adrian for getting a little bit full of himself...and dinner...and I think he's learned his lesson and it'll actually pay off for him in the future. I just wish it wasn't at the expense of his senior season...or Iowa's...

Have to disagree, b10f.
AC was frequently trailing plays, ineffective with a straight rush, and always winded his SR year. That's not a scheme thing; that's a fitness (strength & conditioning) thing.
Maybe he ignored Doyle, or faked it, I dunno. Either way, AC was not in competitive shape his SR year.

BROTHER!?!? :eek:

BROTHER?!?1?

step-brothers-2008.jpg

Have to disagree, b10f.
AC was frequently trailing plays, ineffective with a straight rush, and always winded his SR year. That's not a scheme thing; that's a fitness (strength & conditioning) thing.
Maybe he ignored Doyle, or faked it, I dunno. Either way, AC was not in competitive shape his SR year.

There are plenty of reasons for a guy to be out of shape. But it most commonly comes down to slacking off on the part of the player. I've sort of been there. I'm in awful shape these days, and it's because I haven't dedicated myself to being fit in quite some time.

There are plenty of reasons for a guy to be out of shape. But it most commonly comes down to slacking off on the part of the player. I've sort of been there. I'm in awful shape these days, and it's because I haven't dedicated myself to being fit in quite some time.

How are you going to score a soccer hottie if you're pudgy??? And if you do pull it off you better let me know so I may live vicariously through you! GOT IT!?!?

It's OK if you don't blame Doyle for your flabby azz, Tork, bince you ain't part of the program. :p
Doyle's job, his only job, is to make sure the players on the Iowa football team are in the best shape they can be, so that Ferentz and the staff have the best chance of winning games.
Clayborn was not in good shape his SR season. Doyle has to be accountable for that; maybe not totally, but he doesn't get a pass.
Ditto the rhabdo incident. There is culpability.

To me, I'm not sure I would lay all the blame on Doyle. It's pretty evident to me that the ****** who is now coaching at Nebraska had lost his players. Both Ballard and Clayborn were 15 pounds at least overweight and it showed.

At some point your position coach has to say, you aren't being effective at that weight and you have to get down to this weight. That obviously wasn't happening. It's ironic that the first thing TB DL coach said is that you have to get down to 270 to play the position and you need to improve your speed and explosiveness.

To me, I'm not sure I would lay all the blame on Doyle. It's pretty evident to me that the ****** who is now coaching at Nebraska had lost his players. Both Ballard and Clayborn were 15 pounds at least overweight and it showed.

At some point your position coach has to say, you aren't being effective at that weight and you have to get down to this weight. That obviously wasn't happening. It's ironic that the first thing TB DL coach said is that you have to get down to 270 to play the position and you need to improve your speed and explosiveness.

Excellent post, WOTC.

you have to put this on clayborne for slacking if he did...s&c crews tend to focus on the younger guys who need to be taught things...the older players are expected to lead and know what to do as they have been through the ringer. adrian might have read a few too many press clippings and thought he could phone it in a little. good thing he has refocused as he is a special talent.

Lol at the Tork Clayborn analogy. Didn't everyone decide Adrian was hurt his SR year? Has he ever commented on his decrease in production since leaving?

you have to put this on clayborne for slacking if he did...s&c crews tend to focus on the younger guys who need to be taught things...the older players are expected to lead and know what to do as they have been through the ringer. adrian might have read a few too many press clippings and thought he could phone it in a little. good thing he has refocused as he is a special talent.

Yeah...no. This is pure speculation.

Yeah...no. This is pure speculation.
=

his being out of shape is speculation...i feel he was either out of shape or hurt or both as a senior. but the s&c stuff isnt...i have a brother that does it and 1 cousin that does it and 1 cousin that used to. plus i played a college sport and dealt with s&c people. they focus on the younger guys and expect the older guys to lead and do what they have been taught and setup to do.