Are there any advantages to a pay site for Hawkeye sports?

homes

I like this webpage; the information seems to come fairly quickly (at least to me), videos of recruits, knowledgeable people, and the like. Why would people pay money - there must be some hook. Obviously, those other sites are competitors, and this base seems pretty loyal, but is there an objective reason to pay - is there another level I'm missing out on - a club within the club, beyond the velvet rope? It doesn't seem like it, but how would I know, I'm not in the club.

I used to belong to a pay site, and the forums were a lot lighter on the mindless banter that you see in free sites. Access to info seems to be just as solid here, and its worth ignoring a lot of what goes on in the forums to save that money :)

You get to feed Rob Howe's children. What true hawkeye fan wouldn't want to be a part of that?

I used to belong to a pay site, and the forums were a lot lighter on the mindless banter that you see in free sites. Access to info seems to be just as solid here, and its worth ignoring a lot of what goes on in the forums to save that money :)

I thinking posting in a forum without a bunch of mouth breathers is by far the biggest benefit. Outside of that I don't think the "insider" info gets to you that much faster and in some cases has been just as wrong or off base as the rumors on free sites/forums.

HN is the first site to get leftovers so if your willing to wait a day or two it will probably find its way on to this site. 247sports VoH is the best hands down with recruiting info and has probably the coolest posters you'll find. HR.com has great gameday info and they do an alright job at recruiting info, really good with bball info.

HI.scout.com I wouldn't recommend to an ISU fan. Ever since Jon left there that place has gone to hell. You got posters that arnt even hawk fans. You got Rob Howe(DOiSTILLhaveApressPASS) that runs the site like a nazi not to mention his horrible info IE: DJK was blacked listed by KF from the NFL even though he was cut by an Arena team, his infamous tweets about Kozan, Derby, Norm or even retweets with Coe, and articles titled "Iowa is a sinking ship". Scout has a great wrestling info but you can get that for free.

BHGP.com has funny info too

I belong to several pay sights. They are marginally better in the trolling department and there are fewer completely ridiculous posts. I spend as much time here as the others probably. I probably get some information a little faster sometimes but Twitter is pretty fast too. Every site has its advantages I guess and the cost of $10 a month is pretty reasonable.

I think there are good things about both models. Attempting to monetize breaking info is next to impossible in today's social media environment. People who pay for those sites invariably like to tell a buddy or post it on twitter or somewhere, for various reasons. I never understood devaluing what you paid for, but it was happening more often than not which was one of the reasons why I decided to leave that model.

Personally, I think the marketplace is screaming for a Rivals/Scout style recruiting content platform and recruiting database model that is free. I believe something like that could gain a lot of traction very quickly if they had the proper marketing alliances (distribution network) in place, ie ways for Independent site publishers to participate in a revenue share in return for content placement and promotion and database installation as well as a solid group of writers/analysts who also believed in the future of the free model

Maybe I am thinking of another forum but wasn't this site a free site that then went to a pay site and then back again to free site?

When HN launched in 2001 it was free, then Rivals version 2,0 hired me, then went to Scout then back to free in 2009.

I'd rather get it free tomorrow than pay for it today.

This. Well...I just want it free today...I really don't care about paying to get the inside scoop on recruiting first because, frankly...I don't care. It's not going to change my life or anything and who would I brag about it to?

I might consider a donation to this site if you could say Ostrich on a sports forum once in a while. :p

I'd rather get it free tomorrow than pay for it today.
This. Well...I just want it free today...I really don't care about paying to get the inside scoop on recruiting first because, frankly...I don't care. It's not going to change my life or anything and who would I brag about it to? I might consider a donation to this site if you could say Ostrich on a sports forum once in a while. :p

Or Chad