Brian’s F’s pre-game press conference

Tough spot to be in as it likely will be his last press conference as a OC except maybe some non-power five college or junior college.

I am ok with him staying on as a tight end coach at Iowa. Beth said he wouldn’t be coming back. Was that exclusively as the OC or in general?

I would assume the new OC gets to pick all of their assistants on the offensive side of the ball.

Nice script written by somebody from the athletic office

Yes, But, I also have some confidence in this being genuine at some level.
I think a large swathe of the players appreciated him as a coach and a human.
Surely, some didn't.
And some from several years ago really didn't.

But the fact that he was in the black on the portal ledger is an indicator of that.

I think he was a terrible coach, results wise. But otherwise, I think he was appreciated by players....in general.

Geez. The guy has stayed classy, kids have been complimentary, he stayed on board for a good part of the season + the bowl game. Yeah. I think it’s time for a “Thank you for your long time commitment to Iowa football as a player and a coach.“ Enough of the bashing parade. It’s done.

I was actually more humored by reading how you named the thread! I interpreted it differently based more on Brian's past performance.

Tough spot to be in as it likely will be his last press conference as a OC except maybe some non-power five college or junior college.

I am ok with him staying on as a tight end coach at Iowa. Beth said he wouldn’t be coming back. Was that exclusively as the OC or in general?

I would assume the new OC gets to pick all of their assistants on the offensive side of the ball.
Truly I think o-line is where he should be. I'd take him over the North Dakota state failure any day of week.

Geez. The guy has stayed classy, kids have been complimentary, he stayed on board for a good part of the season + the bowl game. Yeah. I think it’s time for a “Thank you for your long time commitment to Iowa football as a player and a coach.“ Enough of the bashing parade. It’s done.
Agree, enough of the bashing parade, it's done, Beth and others made the correct decision for the University and the program going forward, I just hope for his and our sake as fans, dad let's it go too. KF has a choice, which he deserves, ride into the sunset with appreciation from Iowa fans, or go out as a flaming asshole, you're choice KF.

Agree, enough of the bashing parade, it's done, Beth and others made the correct decision for the University and the program going forward, I just hope for his and our sake as fans, dad let's it go too. KF has a choice, which he deserves, ride into the sunset with appreciation from Iowa fans, or go out as a flaming asshole, you're choice KF.
My comments werent meant in a negative tone as noted I am fine with him staying on as an assistant. Unfortunately he got a lot of negative noteriety due to the 25 points a game requirement and that coupled with offensive stats the last three years, means he is not at the top of any open OC positions among power five teams. He could also take on an assistant position in the NFL.

I also believe that some of the angst isn’t just directed at Brian but also at his dad. If left up to his dad he would still be returning next year.

I also believe Barta thought with the West struggles and a B1G championship Qb coming in and having two of the best tight ends and a solid backfield that Brian would easily score the 25 point average. I mean……. heck I thought so too.

Last edited:

Agreed. Everything he said was as classy as you can be in his situation.

The only thing he said towards the end of the press conference that is odd is shown below in bold.

Deacon is the starting quarterback. Deacon has played really good football for us. Deacon has led this football team to a lot of wins, and we expect Deacon to go the distance on Monday.

Of course, what was he supposed to say?

But BF was well spoken.

What was he supposed to say you ask? Well, how about being honest about Hill? Iowa has won in spite of his atrocious, turnover laced play, not because of it. Of course, BF won't admit that, so like your mom taught you--when you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything about the QB situation.

The rest of his final press conference was well scripted.

To the credit of the entire coaching staff and the team leaders, they have kept the team together for the bowl game, while many others have played, and more will play, with lots of backups.

Go Phil! Go LeVar! Win the game in spite of KF's/BF's/Hill's offense NOT playing complementary ball.

Just thought I would share it for those interested in watching it.

Who cares what b f says he's dead man walking I don't know why the press even gives him the time of day or cares what he thinks.He's been a confused puke all year...

Agree he played and bled for Iowa, did the best job he could do I'm sure. The old saying "Rising to the level of your incompetence" is the fault here. Kirk rushed him to the top while he has coaches within the staff waiting for their big break. Kirk should have let him drive the station wagon instead of the Camaro until he was good at it. If Brian really wanted to help out his dad he moves on last year and this whole thing doesn't happen. I think I could stay classy if someone paid me nearly a mil a year. Wish Brian the best, I think he will make a better head coach than OC, just not for us right now. Sometimes knowing everything about a job doesn't make someone the best at it. Players played for him and we'll never know if it was for him or Kirk until he leaves and runs his own program.

Just thought I would share it for those interested in watching it.

Having a unannounced press conference with your senior player is not the best way to focus on the player, just saying. Logan got like one question.

Having a unannounced press conference with your senior player is not the best way to focus on the player, just saying. Logan got like one question.
Yep, spot on the observation here, could go into my opinion on the personality of BF, however waste of time, in less than 60 hours will not have to worry about the arrogant BF anymore, kind of like taking the greatest shit of your life, ahhhhhhh.......

If I remember the language in Beth's press release, it stated clearly that after the season ends Brian would "no longer be with the Iowa program" or something like that. That was important and nicely done, to avoid any further speculation about Brian's future at Iowa.

Having an unannounced press conference with your senior player is not the best way to focus on the player, just saying. Logan got like one question.

This was a scheduled presser and an asisstant was scheduled to speak on his behalf. The night before Brian decided he'd go ahead and speak, as it was cusstom for the OC to speak.

This was a scheduled presser and an asisstant was scheduled to speak on his behalf. The night before Brian decided he'd go ahead and speak, as it was cusstom for the OC to speak.
...which could be seen as a gutsy move by Brian. However, he had to know if he appeared, all the questions would be addressed to him -- which undercuts his repeated assertion during the presser that he was so disappointed and upset that all the attention had recently been on him instead of the players and their accomplishment. When I heard that, all I could think was "I don't know what the heck he's talking about -- until this moment nobody has been talking about him at all the past few weeks -- he's been old news for awhile." So it all seems disingenuous to me -- if he really wanted all the attention on the players, then don't show up for the presser and be a distraction.

Deacon is the starting quarterback. Deacon has played really good football for us. Deacon has led this football team to a lot of wins, and we expect Deacon to go the distance on Monday.

I'm wondering if this is a bit of deception. I remember before the Holiday Bowl with USC, he was interviewed and he said something like, ' we like to run the ball, sometimes I think I'd like it if we ran the ball all the time'. And this is exactly what USC aimed to stop. And as it turned out they threw just as much as they ran...and threw the ball very effectively.

After thinking about it, inserting the freshmen, without any film or info, might be just the wrinkle they need. Wild cat, QB Draw, or just a boot or naked boot. Of course it won't happen a lot but I won't be surprised.

Latest posts