Starting Lineup

Teddy

Cade is lineup as a starter. DeJong at LG, ahead of Feth. Jones and Elsbury kind of expected. Colby over Stephens at RG and Grizz over Parker at RT. Pretty much as expected everywhere else, although Graves not starting is a little surprising.

It looks like starting both Eric and Luke.​

It’s kind of surprising the lack of post on the forum just five days out from kickoff. I am wondering if everyone is just preoccupied with ending family activities and returning from vacations as this seems a little odd with how close we are to kickoff.

Other than the question mark around the offensive line there are several reasons for the fans to be highly excited with the talent going into the season. A proven QB, two highly talented tight ends, and a quality running back.

Yes the line was very questionable last year but they have a lot of experience under their belt going forward so we should see improvement there.

The defense lost a lot at linebacker but the rest of defense should be solid. So what’s not to be excited about this team and a favorable schedule?

Go Hawks!!!

It’s kind of surprising the lack of post on the forum just five days out from kickoff. I am wondering if everyone is just preoccupied with ending family activities and returning from vacations as this seems a little odd with how close we are to kickoff.

Other than the question mark around the offensive line there are several reasons for the fans to be highly excited with the talent going into the season. A proven QB, two highly talented tight ends, and a quality running back.

Yes the line was very questionable last year but they have a lot of experience under their belt going forward so we should see improvement there.

The defense lost a lot at linebacker but the rest of defense should be solid. So what’s not to be excited about this team and a favorable schedule?

Go Hawks!!!
I have to think it is probably a combination of the things you said and fans having the emotional scarring from being burnt from Brian's offense time after time.

I personally see this season going 3 ways:

Being totally awesome and playing for the Big Ten Title. (everything clicks)
Your typical 8-4, 9-3 season (they fail to win the Big Ones)
6-6 or 7-5 (plagued by injuries, but soft schedule allows for a bowl game)

That is a big and experienced OL. Everyone has some level of starting experience and even the back-ups are pretty veteran. They are also man sized now. I bet Jones is closer to 300 by now and the rest of the starters are north of that mark. Colby is poised to have a break out year now that they have settled him at guard. The fact that he can play left or right will help get him drafted soon. Glad to see Parker listed as the back up. That means he is practicing and healthy enough to play. I hope we get a look. RT has sucked since Wirfs left so they need to keep running guys out there until someone can do the job. Its good to have depth and options across the board. I think 3 positions are etched in pen, with LG and RT still up for further review and rotation of players. Competition breeds succcess.

At DT it doesn't matter who is listed as a starter. There will be 4-5 guys rotating those positions and Graves will, I predict, have the most snaps. That guy is a beast that cannot be kept off the field.

At DT it doesn't matter who is listed as a starter. There will be 4-5 guys rotating those positions and Graves will, I predict, have the most snaps. That guy is a beast that cannot be kept off the field.
Correct. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have Noah Shannon playing, but Aaron Graves is and would still have been the marquee DT on this team if Shannon were playing.

People have been burned by the Iowa offense to the point that no one gets excited anymore. Our defense is absolutely top of the line, but points are what get people talking.

It’s like how there was a buzz when Bo Pelini, Mike Riley, and Scott Frost came to town, but now everyone (their crap fans included) is waiting to see results before getting all worked up. nebraska is the boy who cried wolf.

So is Brian Ferentz to a degree.

I have to think it is probably a combination of the things you said and fans having the emotional scarring from being burnt from Brian's offense time after time.

I personally see this season going 3 ways:

Being totally awesome and playing for the Big Ten Title. (everything clicks)
Your typical 8-4, 9-3 season (they fail to win the Big Ones)
6-6 or 7-5 (plagued by injuries, but soft schedule allows for a bowl game)

Thank you weatherman!

Correct. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have Noah Shannon playing, but Aaron Graves is and would still have been the marquee DT on this team if Shannon were playing.

Yea, hate to see players out or injured, but Iowa is able to plug-n-play much more at that position. Hell I guess in general on defense more than on offense.

Go Hawks!!!

We are walking on eggshells, man. We want to get excited, but we are so anxious about things like injuries, gambling suspensions, and continued offensive suckitude. We just don't want to anger the Gods with too much exuberance.

Yea, hate to see players out or injured, but Iowa is able to plug-n-play much more at that position. Hell I guess in general on defense more than on offense.
Depth everywhere except maybe corner, on defense. Depth nowhere on offense, except maybe RB and TE.

Last edited:
Cade is lineup as a starter. DeJong at LG, ahead of Feth. Jones and Elsbury kind of expected. Colby over Stephens at RG and Grizz over Parker at RT. Pretty much as expected everywhere else, although Graves not starting is a little surprising.

It looks like starting both Eric and Luke.​
Graves is going to be Van Ness 2.0... He'll play a ton of snaps and be no less impactful I bet.

Don't sleep on Black though, he could have a break out season as well.
The fact he's healthy and good to go is huge for him. He looks like he should take over for the first man off the bus role now the Van Ness has left. Dude is huge. He and Kaleb Johnson he's turned into an absolute rock nobody is going to want to tackle in the open field.

I think Kaleb J will deliver some blows. Maybe someone from Louisville will correct me and say the word is "blow".

Depth charts are generally pretty meaningless as others have pointed out, especially this early.

Also, keep in mind that unless there is an obvious and glaring talent disparity, Kirk will ALWAYS place upperclassmen higher up on the depth chart. That trait in him is commendable but hasn't always been the smart strategy in terms of putting the best team on the field. Nevertheless, he will give any healthy senior or redshirt senior every chance to succeed.

Latest posts