Iowa signs what is considered one of the best players in the portal available

Off topic, but what happened to those international trips teams were allowed to take every 3 or 4 years? Doesn't seem like Iowa has had one for a long time, it would be timely this year with a lot of new faces expected to contribute.

Off topic, but what happened to those international trips teams were allowed to take every 3 or 4 years? Doesn't seem like Iowa has had one for a long time, it would be timely this year with a lot of new faces expected to contribute.
They stopped for Covid but have definitely picked back up again. I think WI did one last season and Iowa has one scheduled coming up

Add him to Mulvey and the other 2 bigs Iowa has coming and they shouldn't be in too bad of shape front court wise.
I think Mulvey is going to have a few solid years on contribution at Iowa. I know I am likely the minority, but he looked way more comfortable out there in his minutes this season, he's just a rail. I look for the big jump people where selling for him this season.

I think Iowa has a shot with Minor too, also on that list. He is 6'8"....at this point, can't be that picky about height, just need the best big bodies we can get to supplement and help transition our new freshman bigs.

He looks like a below the rim guy but he can shoot. Smooth shot all the way out to the 3pt line. Soft touch inside the lane around the rim. Doesn't look to be all that fast or quick so he'll probably be a defensive liability. Not really a rim protector at 235 lbs. Similar size to Rebracca just an inch or so taller. Not the perfect player by any means but a solid get. Not sure about his passing. His scoring kinda reminds me of watching a little bit of Sabonis in Sacramento. Offensively he'll fit right in day 1.

Does he have 1 year or 2 years of eligibility? I haven’t dug in and done any homework on him yet. The reason why I ask is that it took Rebraca his first year to figure things out.

Yeah I know, before everyone comes at me, I get every players learning curve is different.

Some don't rate him very highly. Not so impressed myself. Looking at Valpo's games play by play and don't see him making big shots. Stepping up to the B1G might swallow him up. Chance to sink Murray State - two missed lay ups and two missed jumpers. Down 54-50 against Drake and 1 for 2 the final 7 minutes unless you count a worthless 3 he missed at the end. Second Drake game drake comes back he doesn't do much and fouls out. Missed a lay up, hit 1 of 2 FT's, missed a 3 as Drake came from down 5 to force OT. Missed a big shot down 4 to UNI where they lost by 2 but didn't shoot or score after that(last 1:44). Up 61-56 in the last Murray state OT game he misses a shot that would have put them up 7 and MS took them to OT where he hit one shot and missed a big FT for 3 OT points as MS wins 77-76.

Don't expect the point average to translate and don't expect big shots. Don't overate this. Still need better. Thread title is a bit misleading. Not one of the best in the portal. One place rated him 10. One also placed him 114 and another 87 and another 35. Probably around 50 in reality. 40's to 50 is about right and too far to call him one of the best available. Top 20 to 25 is perhaps the top but he was not a top 25 portal guy.

Some don't rate him very highly. Not so impressed myself. Looking at Valpo's games play by play and don't see him making big shots. Stepping up to the B1G might swallow him up. Chance to sink Murray State - two missed lay ups and two missed jumpers. Down 54-50 against Drake and 1 for 2 the final 7 minutes unless you count a worthless 3 he missed at the end. Second Drake game drake comes back he doesn't do much and fouls out. Missed a lay up, hit 1 of 2 FT's, missed a 3 as Drake came from down 5 to force OT. Missed a big shot down 4 to UNI where they lost by 2 but didn't shoot or score after that(last 1:44). Up 61-56 in the last Murray state OT game he misses a shot that would have put them up 7 and MS took them to OT where he hit one shot and missed a big FT for 3 OT points as MS wins 77-76.

Don't expect the point average to translate and don't expect big shots. Don't overate this. Still need better. Thread title is a bit misleading. Not one of the best in the portal. One place rated him 10. One also placed him 114 and another 87 and another 35. Probably around 50 in reality. 40's to 50 is about right and too far to call him one of the best available. Top 20 to 25 is perhaps the top but he was not a top 25 portal guy.
I see the glass half empty on him. I take it as consistency. He's got a soft touch and skill with the ball. Has a nice feel for pick and pop game. But yes he was at Valpo for a reason. If he was a perfect player he wouldn't have been there to begin with. His ceiling I don't think is crazy high. I don't think we'll expect him to avg 18 pts plus a game no. 14-15 would sure be nice if he's playing close to 30 mins though. Shot selection shouldn't be too tough for him as much as just the physicality of the league. If the 235 lbs is correct I would hope they are feeding him like crazy he could use 10-15 lbs.

Rebraca from yr to yr that we had him I think really changed his body. He got in some amazing shape. He didn't put on a ton of weight but he was muscled up this yr compared to last. It was noticeable. This guy has a totally different game then Rebraca I don't think he's a banger really

I see the glass half empty on him. I take it as consistency. He's got a soft touch and skill with the ball. Has a nice feel for pick and pop game. But yes he was at Valpo for a reason. If he was a perfect player he wouldn't have been there to begin with. His ceiling I don't think is crazy high. I don't think we'll expect him to avg 18 pts plus a game no. 14-15 would sure be nice if he's playing close to 30 mins though. Shot selection shouldn't be too tough for him as much as just the physicality of the league. If the 235 lbs is correct I would hope they are feeding him like crazy he could use 10-15 lbs.

Rebraca from yr to yr that we had him I think really changed his body. He got in some amazing shape. He didn't put on a ton of weight but he was muscled up this yr compared to last. It was noticeable. This guy has a totally different game then Rebraca I don't think he's a banger really
More of the same offense first kind of guy at forward who is neither very athletic or a big lane filler banger both of which we need. A fine get but not jumping for joy if he is the best guy we get out of the portal this year. Rebraca replaced essentially but he needed help. Now Krikke will still needs help in the same way. Hopefully Minor can end up here as well.

More of the same offense first kind of guy at forward who is neither very athletic or a big lane filler banger both of which we need. A fine get but not jumping for joy if he is the best guy we get out of the portal this year. Rebraca replaced essentially but he needed help. Now Krikke will still needs help in the same way. Hopefully Minor can end up here as well.
Yeah Iowa was in no position to turn him down to wait out on others. They could really use another big and a ball handling guard.

As excited as I was to get Bowen into the fold when we did I'm just as nervous to hand him the keys next yr. PG is going to be quite the question mark if we don't bring in anyone else. Sure TP can play some point but I don't think we want him to be the fulltime pg. Dix I'm not sold on being that either. But that's pretty much where we are now. Harding would have to be jaw dropping amazing to force himself into serious playing time right away. And the unknown of Nimmers who redshirted last yr. Is he more of a smaller 2 or a pg ball handler? So it feels like it's sink or swim for Bowen. Going to be an interesting off season the rest of the way

He looks like a below the rim guy but he can shoot. Smooth shot all the way out to the 3pt line. Soft touch inside the lane around the rim. Doesn't look to be all that fast or quick so he'll probably be a defensive liability. Not really a rim protector at 235 lbs. Similar size to Rebracca just an inch or so taller. Not the perfect player by any means but a solid get. Not sure about his passing. His scoring kinda reminds me of watching a little bit of Sabonis in Sacramento. Offensively he'll fit right in day 1.

To me he seems to have somewhat of a quirky game with some interesting moves but is productive and shoots free throws well, so I could give a chit how quirky it looks at times. He's making moves and getting shots.

Welcome Krikke.

Does he have 1 year or 2 years of eligibility? I haven’t dug in and done any homework on him yet. The reason why I ask is that it took Rebraca his first year to figure things out.

Yeah I know, before everyone comes at me, I get every players learning curve is different.

I think I heard just one, unless thinking of a different player.

I see we got us another international players, he's from Edmonton, Alberta......

I hope we get another big and I'd like to see us get a good guard.