Kirk on Petras

Iowa will be paying for Petras's rehab and Petras will be kind of a player-coach that never plays.

Petras: NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's 3rd and 4, you were supposed to throw it to the double covered wr on the sideline 2 yds short!!!!!!!

CM: Uuuuummmmm, Nico was wide open deep and he scored a TD

Petras: But that's not how we do things around here!!!! DAAAAA....I mean BRIAN!!!!!!! Tell him Brian!!!!!!

Brian: DADDY!!!!!! Control your transfer QB!!!!!!

Kirk: snort

Kirk: "We have the greatest fans and we know their excitement for Cade. But, the fact of the matter is we see how our players perform in practice and in our evaluations, we believe Spencer gives us the best chance to win. His knowledge, experience, and depth of the playbook along with his leadership is a determining factor in what we need out of this position. However, we do have full confidence in Cade and know he will be able to step in when we need him to perform."

and Iowa fans response to that question:
pitchforks.gif

Where's Kirk's house?!!

Last edited:
Kirk going all in on McNamara...if he is a trainwreck or gets hurt, we are repeating the 2022 season all over again.

Kirk going all in on McNamara...if he is a trainwreck or gets hurt, we are repeating the 2022 season all over again.
And why wouldn't he? KF has seen this kid first hand take a team to a conference title. Granted, that team had more weapons than Iowa, but Iowa doesn't need to be explosive on offense given the D and specials. We need a competent offense and Mc has demonstrated he can do that at the highest level. Excited for the Fall!!!

Cade is a proven winner and leader. He has to recover from his injury and we have to give him adequate protection.

Kirk was asked about Spencer, he didn't bring him up. Kirk mentioned he had a long term injury but liked his experience to share with the other QBs. Kirk made no mention of him playing.

By all accounts, Spencer is a good kid, very smart, a leader, and well regarded in the locker room. If he was a dick or arrogant, that would have leaked out of the locker room given his serious struggles on the field. By all accounts I heard, that locker room remained united despite the tremendous disparity in performance between the offense and defense. It would have been easy for the D to grumble, they never did.

So, I think having a veteran guy like that around the QB room is a positive thing. Like another coach. Just because he can't throw consistently or scramble doesn't mean he doesn't know football and the system, and can help mentor the younger QBs.

And, while I think we all hope he never sees the field for Iowa again, you have a starter coming off injury, a back-up with one start, a walkon and a true frosh in that room. It would take exactly two injuries for Petras to become highly relevant again to Iowa's 23 season. It never hurts to have an insurance policy, even if its a shaky one. I hope he is on the sidelines next year for that reason alone, but I kinda doubt it. We shall see.

By all accounts, Spencer is a good kid, very smart, a leader, and well regarded in the locker room. If he was a dick or arrogant, that would have leaked out of the locker room given his serious struggles on the field. By all accounts I heard, that locker room remained united despite the tremendous disparity in performance between the offense and defense. It would have been easy for the D to grumble, they never did.

So, I think having a veteran guy like that around the QB room is a positive thing. Like another coach. Just because he can't throw consistently or scramble doesn't mean he doesn't know football and the system, and can help mentor the younger QBs.

And, while I think we all hope he never sees the field for Iowa again, you have a starter coming off injury, a back-up with one start, a walkon and a true frosh in that room. It would take exactly two injuries for Petras to become highly relevant again to Iowa's 23 season. It never hurts to have an insurance policy, even if its a shaky one. I hope he is on the sidelines next year for that reason alone, but I kinda doubt it. We shall see.
From what I read previously, I'm not sure he will be healthy enough to even throw a football by the fall. His injury was described as pretty serious with a long recovery period. I really don't see him being on the field again, in any circumstance. As you mentioned, I think he could be a valuable contributor in the QB room though.

Spencer may have been 'well regarded' in Iowa's locker room, but the team never once voted him a Captain, even tho he was a 3-year starting QB. I don't think I've ever seen or heard anything like that. Personally, I think it was probably less a personality issue than the players saw the performance of the QBs in practice and were not confident that he'd hold the starting position through the entirety of any season. We'll probably never know. But ya gotta admit, if you're a 3-year starting QB in the BTen, your teammates typically vote you as a Captain at SOME point.

Spencer may have been 'well regarded' in Iowa's locker room, but the team never once voted him a Captain, even tho he was a 3-year starting QB. I don't think I've ever seen or heard anything like that. Personally, I think it was probably less a personality issue than the players saw the performance of the QBs in practice and were not confident that he'd hold the starting position through the entirety of any season. We'll probably never know. But ya gotta admit, if you're a 3-year starting QB in the BTen, your teammates typically vote you as a Captain at SOME point.
Um, Drew Tate? As best I remember he was a damn fine QB and was a vocal leader. Never a captain.

Indeed, from 2003 to 2009 not a single QB was named captain until AmeriStanzi came along. If you look at the KF era, exactly half the years no QB is named a captain. Tate and Petras are, however, the only 3 year starters not to be named.

Don't you hate it when the facts get in the way of a fine argument? :)

You nailed it his play never warranted it. It's not rocket science. It wasn't his fault that the coaches kept him as the starter. They couldn't develop Padilla or anyone else to replace him unfortunately. Petras was consistently bad all 3 yrs he started. They should've pushed hard after each of the previous 2 yrs for a new qb in the portal. Yet they double and triple downed on a miss in recruiting. You can't swing and miss at the qb position like that....

Petras was a miss in recruiting. Wasn't he a 4 or 5 star recruit out of California? I will admit that one fault of KF he tends to be loyal to the bone with starters. Take away some of the offensive woes of the line and play calling, and Petras just didn't seem to develop or get to that next level.

From what I have read, a great person and teammate, but that don't equate into wins on the football field.

Petras was 4 star out of high school. He had options. I think he broke some NFL guys passing records, but can't remember who. I remember watching tape. He ran basically a 4 wide spread, stood in the pocket and just slung it. He had a huge arm for a high school kid, but didn't have to move much. Petras always had the arm strength, but just terrible pocket instincts. You gotta have some wiggle at this level of football unless you are Manning or Brady, which he was not.

Stanley was much better, and yet I was frustrated watching stanley throw wild balls. The Iowa WRs had to lunge back and forth to catch many a ball.

The rest of the QBs have been misses...they tranfered out. Poor evaluation coupled with reputatatin that is not attractive to QBs and you have what we've had since 2017