Rob Sand Wants Barta Out

Hayden had a tree growing. Kirk's tree has no limbs.
Hard not to remember how Hayden hired assistants with aspirations to be HCs. Kirk clearly doesn't do that. Norm and P. Parker both. KOK, Davis, didn't either. BF does but he stinks as an OC and he primarily he wanted the Iowa job handed to him (which isn't going to happen)

What sucks is guys like Woods and Wallace I think would make great HCs but they have no room for growth at Iowa now. If Parker retired which one of them would win the coin flip for his spot you think? (I don't see it happening anytime soon I think Parker stays on till KF retires)

I wonder if when the AG negotiated the settlement, the Athletic Department balked at the amount and so the AG agreed to get funding from the general fund to put this to bed? I think the problem here is that you have several layers of decision-makers that have to all agree to make this thing work, and no one was seeing the big picture. Anyone with any sense should have seen this was going to cause a shit storm. The Athletic Department gets millions a year from TV money and expects that tax payers to pay off a lawsuit like this? Come on. Yet another PR blunder by our favorite institution of higher learning....

I wonder if when the AG negotiated the settlement, the Athletic Department balked at the amount and so the AG agreed to get funding from the general fund to put this to bed? I think the problem here is that you have several layers of decision-makers that have to all agree to make this thing work, and no one was seeing the big picture. Anyone with any sense should have seen this was going to cause a shit storm. The Athletic Department gets millions a year from TV money and expects that tax payers to pay off a lawsuit like this? Come on. Yet another PR blunder by our favorite institution of higher learning....
I'd bet dollars for donuts that a few donors came forward when the heat got hot and pledged some money to cover it. Don't get me wrong, there's no shortage of money in the athletic department, but that doesn't really matter. When it comes to donations unless it's specifically earmarked for something like the new wrestling facility, it all gets stirred in the same pot.

Hey, we attorneys get paid a lot of money to tell people not to do dumb things they should not do. What good could come of any interview right now if you are the Pres? Think Chad is going to lob softballs and applaud the school's handling of all this? She could only make things worse. Despite the grumbles and saberratttling amongst some corners of the Iowa family, the best way to make this thing go away is to do and say nothing. It will blow over as we all start to think about St. Patrick's Day, March Madness, Spring Planting, etc. Before we know it, a toe will meet leather and Gary Barta will be in a booth watching his boss call "Stretch Right Get Tackled In The Backfield From The Back Side End. On Two."
Now. That their stuff is funny. And true.

And my comment wasn't directed at you. I've moderated these boards for years. It ain't easy. You're doing it well.

I usually come in when I'm posting our content here. I try to engage when I can. But I shouldn't do it from anger or frustration.
yes, you should use an alt for your frustration & anger-based responses. :)

So once again instead of being proactive the university was reactive... She had such an easy opportunity to just have done this from the git go, give a short interview explaining why it's the right thing to do and make herself look good. Instead they let a few days go by stuck their finger in the air to see which way the public and media was taking all this to decide. She really shouldn't get any brownie points for this but I'm sure she's patting herself on the back.

Was my post with a link to the report deleted? Why?
Yes, along with some others.

This isn't the thread to argue for or against KF/staff being racist or not. This thread is for the topic of the lawsuit being settled and its effects. When we start going down the road of saying "XYZ person is racist...no he's not...yes he is" etc, people get butthurt and start turning things into a poop show.

OT Open is made for that, anyone is free to start a thread there for that discussion. I will not delete threads or posts there unless there's something illegal, threatening, etc. That was the deal when we started OT and I've stuck to it.

This one has remained fairly civil and I don't want to move it because 90% of the people here are playing nice.

Yes, along with some others.

This isn't the thread to argue for or against KF/staff being racist or not. This thread is for the topic of the lawsuit being settled and its effects. When we start going down the road of saying "XYZ person is racist...no he's not...yes he is" etc, people get butthurt and start turning things into a poop show.

OT Open is made for that, anyone is free to start a thread there for that discussion. I will not delete threads or posts there unless there's something illegal, threatening, etc. That was the deal when we started OT and I've stuck to it.

This one has remained fairly civil and I don't want to move it because 90% of the people here are playing nice.
No worries. I didn't think I was going down that path, and certainly can respect and appreciate you trying to keep it civil.

For those interested, here is the university's report from 2018. Per your comment, it definitely relates to the settlement of the lawsuit. It is worth reading.

Taxpayers will be on the hook for 2 million i believe. That’s less then $1 per person.How about this dude worries about a ton of other BS taxes that will save taxpayers a lot more then $1.

Bruce Rastetter is a kingpin donor (his Ag Summit company has contributed a ton to Iowa’s NIL). He likes Barta. He doesn’t like Rob Sand. Barta is safe.

Taxpayers will be on the hook for 2 million i believe. That’s less then $1 per person.How about this dude worries about a ton of other BS taxes that will save taxpayers a lot more then $1.
No one’s on the hook. It was announced this morning that the athletic department is going to pay the whole thing.

Regardless, this isn’t something that should be paid for with public money.

No one’s on the hook. It was announced this morning that the athletic department is going to pay the whole thing.

Regardless, this isn’t something that should be paid for with public money.
But you forget. The athletic department is part of a public university and as a result, has 503c status.

Not that simple. The head of the athletic department does in fact answer to the university. They cannot just do what they want to do. Otherwise they are private businesses and then should be paying taxes.

Technically not on the hook. But, it is either university or it's not. It is a public institution. Many hospitals are fighting with IRS and State Dept of Rev as hospitals traditionally getting exempted are losing that status. This will happen as well to athletic depts.

But you forget. The athletic department is part of a public university and as a result, has 503c status.

Not that simple. The head of the athletic department does in fact answer to the university. They cannot just do what they want to do. Otherwise they are private businesses and then should be paying taxes.

Technically not on the hook. But, it is either university or it's not. It is a public institution. Many hospitals are fighting with IRS and State Dept of Rev as hospitals traditionally getting exempted are losing that status. This will happen as well to athletic depts.
It is that simple. No taxpayer money is going towards that lawsuit settlement. That’s the entirety of the point. You’re trying to make it complicated for the sake of argument.

Come see me when there’s a bill that passes the house and moves to the senate to make athletic departments of public universities non-exempt. I don’t care what your opinions are whether it will happen or not, come see me when it does. College sports are a huge lobby in half the country whether organized or not, and it’s just flat out not going to happen.

There have been multiple bills presented trying to make even just the NCAA non-exempt and they’ve all failed miserably, and people hate the NCAA. Good luck doing that individually to several hundred public schools. Even if they tried (which won’t happen) it would be stuck in lawsuit hell for decades.

John Colombo did a very-well done and exhaustive study on the topic. It’s been well established by him and others that the IRS has screwed itself with a whole lot of legal precedent to begin with, and that’s not to count the uphill battle of legislation. Congresspeople and constituents don’t have an emotional (or financial—big donors, et al) connection to “hospitals.”

So back to the lawsuit—it is that simple. No public monies will be used to pay for this. Trying to complicate the issue with something that has a 1% chance of happening within 50 years doesn’t add anything substantive to this particular situation.

It is that simple. No taxpayer money is going towards that lawsuit settlement. That’s the entirety of the point. You’re trying to make it complicated for the sake of argument.

Come see me when there’s a bill that passes the house and moves to the senate to make athletic departments of public universities non-exempt. I don’t care what your opinions are whether it will happen or not, come see me when it does. College sports are a huge lobby in half the country whether organized or not, and it’s just flat out not going to happen.

There have been multiple bills presented trying to make even just the NCAA non-exempt and they’ve all failed miserably, and people hate the NCAA. Good luck doing that individually to several hundred public schools. Even if they tried (which won’t happen) it would be stuck in lawsuit hell for decades.

John Colombo did a very-well done and exhaustive study on the topic. It’s been well established by him and others that the IRS has screwed itself with a whole lot of legal precedent to begin with, and that’s not to count the uphill battle of legislation. Congresspeople and constituents don’t have an emotional (or financial—big donors, et al) connection to “hospitals.”

So back to the lawsuit—it is that simple. No public monies will be used to pay for this. Trying to complicate the issue with something that has a 1% chance of happening within 50 years doesn’t add anything substantive to this particular situation.
My point isn't that no public money will be used. I stated technically you were correct. It is still publicly run. Public bodies are still accountable. If I bring in private money into a university it becomes the university money. You need to use the money according to university, state, and federal guidelines.

Will anything be done? Probably not. The university and therefore the state is still accountable for the use of public money from either govt or private sources. They are still accountable for the use of the money and for discrimination. What happed should bother all of us in an ideal world. Even private companies have some degree of accountability.

Maybe you missed this: The Iowa Board of Regents unanimously approved a $23.7 million project to construct a 15,000-seat arena on the northwest edge of campus. Money flowed in, including a $1 million donation from Roy J. Carver. Fans called the arena “The House That Lute Built.”

The Iowa Board of Regents on Thursday approved a $89.9 million renovation to the stadium's north end zone, a three-year project designed to provide more comfort for fans in the form of wider aisles and benches, and more restrooms and concession stands.

Monies are approved by the board of regents.

The Board of Regents, State of Iowa (commonly referred to as the Iowa Board of Regents) is the 9-member governing body overseeing the three public universities in the state of Iowa: the University of Iowa, Iowa State University, and the University of Northern Iowa. The board also serves the Iowa School for the Deaf and the Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School, the state's two public special schools.

The governor of Iowa appoints regents to six-year terms, which are subject to Iowa Senate confirmation by a two-thirds vote. Terms begin May 1 and end April 30.

The board has nine members. Under state law, one of the regents must be a student of one of the three public universities, and no more than five members can be of the same political affiliation or gender.[1]

My point isn't that no public money will be used. I stated technically you were correct. It is still publicly run. Public bodies are still accountable. If I bring in private money into a university it becomes the university money. You need to use the money according to university, state, and federal guidelines.

Will anything be done? Probably not. The university and therefore the state is still accountable for the use of public money from either govt or private sources. They are still accountable for the use of the money and for discrimination. What happed should bother all of us in an ideal world. Even private companies have some degree of accountability.

Maybe you missed this: The Iowa Board of Regents unanimously approved a $23.7 million project to construct a 15,000-seat arena on the northwest edge of campus. Money flowed in, including a $1 million donation from Roy J. Carver. Fans called the arena “The House That Lute Built.”

The Iowa Board of Regents on Thursday approved a $89.9 million renovation to the stadium's north end zone, a three-year project designed to provide more comfort for fans in the form of wider aisles and benches, and more restrooms and concession stands.

Monies are approved by the board of regents.

The Board of Regents, State of Iowa (commonly referred to as the Iowa Board of Regents) is the 9-member governing body overseeing the three public universities in the state of Iowa: the University of Iowa, Iowa State University, and the University of Northern Iowa. The board also serves the Iowa School for the Deaf and the Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School, the state's two public special schools.

The governor of Iowa appoints regents to six-year terms, which are subject to Iowa Senate confirmation by a two-thirds vote. Terms begin May 1 and end April 30.

The board has nine members. Under state law, one of the regents must be a student of one of the three public universities, and no more than five members can be of the same political affiliation or gender.[1]
Again, scrambled up, irrelevant alphabet soup to try and salvage a point that was DOA to begin with. I can copy and paste from Wikipedia too.

1) All athletic departments are a mix of public and private monies.

2) You accuse people of gaslighting when you throw in a statement like, "What happened should bother us all in an ideal world." LOL As if anyone here has insinuated that it's not bothersome what went on. But nice distraction attempt (not really).

3) None of what you posted is directly relevant to the lawsuit we're discussing. I can't tell if you really just don't understand that, or if you hate being wrong so much that you just start shooting the Google cannon at discussions hoping to muddy the waters so much that people either give up, or get confused. I don't really do either too quickly.

Again, scrambled up, irrelevant copypastes to try and salvage a point that was DOA to begin with. I can copy and paste from Wikipedia too.

1) All athletic departments are a mix of public and private monies.

2) You accuse people of gaslighting when you throw in a statement like, "What happened should bother us all in an ideal world." LOL As if anyone here has insinuated that it's not bothersome what went on.

3) None of what you posted is directly relevant to the lawsuit we're discussing. I can't tell if you really just don't understand that, or if you hate being wrong so much that you just start shooting the Google cannon at discussions hoping to muddy the waters so much that people either give up, or get confused. I don't really to either too quickly.
Dude, just chill. Wiki was just one place. You can get it other. My point simply is that once it is university money, it is public money and accountable as such.

My point simply is that once it is university money, it is public money and accountable as such.
False. The athletic department's funds are not the University's funds. If you can't understand that they're separate entities, I don't know what to tell you. Separate funds, separate revenue sources, separate budgets, separate earmarking. They are not the same thing, and they are not "accountable as such." It's not public money. Regarding you copypaste, public money is in fact used sometimes for athletic projects, but that is held and accounted for separately from Athletic Department funds. Never the twain shall meet.

You should brush up on your public accounting, but I suspect you'll tell me you have extensive experience in accounting up to the level of a CPA but just never bothered with the licensure.

I don't think it should matter whether there are separate entities or not. It is really all public money in my opinion and that is the way it should be.