Josh Gattis got fired from Miami

Hawkfnntn

That just came across the twitter world. It seemed like he and Cristobol were an odd fit. All of us would assume that with Gattis having coached Cade M and All the rumor of him fitting with them should be legit. But first things first. I haven't seen BF get kicked out yet.

This would be an upgrade. But who knows if he would want to coach at Iowa given the constraints.

BF is not getting kicked out. Either he finds a job in the NFL and let's his Dad off the hook, or they find a way to reshuffle the staff in a way that that does not look like a demotion (Assistant Head Coach or Co-OC) or he stays as is.

I think those are in reverse order of likelihood.

This would be an upgrade. But who knows if he would want to coach at Iowa given the constraints.

BF is not getting kicked out. Either he finds a job in the NFL and let's his Dad off the hook, or they find a way to reshuffle the staff in a way that that does not look like a demotion (Assistant Head Coach or Co-OC) or he stays as is.

I think those are in reverse order of likelihood.
How could the rest of the staff not have a problem with that? I mean sure it'd just be a title in name only but come on... I hope that isn't on the table but you may be onto something. Hard telling what KF is trying to stir up.

I wish the fan base would just flood Barta with emails on how he needs to get rid of BF. I mean just inundate the guy so he feels like he has to actually do something. I know KF isn't an idiot. But how shielded is he from the fan base in the sense of knowing what we all think? If you were to guess would 9 out of 10 fans say we all want BF gone? Surely the hell he knows how bad the nepotism of all this looks. But I've never really seen him grilled on it. Iowa's media are a bunch of softies.

How could the rest of the staff not have a problem with that? I mean sure it'd just be a title in name only but come on... I hope that isn't on the table but you may be onto something. Hard telling what KF is trying to stir up.

I wish the fan base would just flood Barta with emails on how he needs to get rid of BF. I mean just inundate the guy so he feels like he has to actually do something. I know KF isn't an idiot. But how shielded is he from the fan base in the sense of knowing what we all think? If you were to guess would 9 out of 10 fans say we all want BF gone? Surely the hell he knows how bad the nepotism of all this looks. But I've never really seen him grilled on it. Iowa's media are a bunch of softies.
BF is already the OC and many fans and insiders perceive that KF thinks/hopes that BF is the HC in waiting. Why would this title change anything?

To be clear, I am not rooting for this or believe it is right. I am just trying to conceive of a realistic scenario to get a new person calling plays and directing the offense. As others have said, KF is not going to fire his son.

And, you can send a million emails to Barta. He aint doing shit. The boosters love KF. And frankly, they should. He has blind spots, but he is still winning. If Barta is doing his job he should be asking KF hard questions about BF, but at the end of the day, the AD can't choose the HC's staff for him. That never works out. This is KF's call......

I guess I've never followed the timeline of a coaching carousel this much since we've had the same coach at Iowa for 85% of my existence, but my question is- If it hasnt happened already is it now very unlikely and are we all now wishful thinking? How many college coaching changes happen in February? Seems like the farther away from the end of the season we get the cooler the hot seat gets. I really have no idea.

BF is already the OC and many fans and insiders perceive that KF thinks/hopes that BF is the HC in waiting. Why would this title change anything?

To be clear, I am not rooting for this or believe it is right. I am just trying to conceive of a realistic scenario to get a new person calling plays and directing the offense. As others have said, KF is not going to fire his son.

And, you can send a million emails to Barta. He aint doing shit. The boosters love KF. And frankly, they should. He has blind spots, but he is still winning. If Barta is doing his job he should be asking KF hard questions about BF, but at the end of the day, the AD can't choose the HC's staff for him. That never works out. This is KF's call......
The HC in waiting ship sailed with the job the guy has done. There's no chance BF, KF or anyone else can think he's getting the keys to the kingdom after the job he's done the last 5 yrs. The others on staff Woods Wallace and Bell have all been doing way better jobs. If I'm them and I hear BF is HC in waiting I'd be pissed. I know Parker is perfectly content with his position. But the others would and should be butt hurt if that sort of title was put on BF.

We all know KF is the boss and Barta is just a figure head. But since they and the school put themselves in this situation with Barta 'technically' being BFs boss and all. He needs to be the one hearing about it. Or why even do all that dog and pony show crap to skirt nepotism rules or laws or whatever they are within the public school sphere. That's them just trying to pacify folks yet still just doing whatever the hell it is they want.

If BF was doing a good job and not preventing Iowa from having better seasons then most would gladly be looking the other way I'd be at the front of that line. But he's not only not doing a good job he's been about as bad as an OC can be the last 2 yrs running. Enough is enough.

The HC in waiting ship sailed with the job the guy has done. There's no chance BF, KF or anyone else can think he's getting the keys to the kingdom after the job he's done the last 5 yrs. The others on staff Woods Wallace and Bell have all been doing way better jobs. If I'm them and I hear BF is HC in waiting I'd be pissed. I know Parker is perfectly content with his position. But the others would and should be butt hurt if that sort of title was put on BF.

We all know KF is the boss and Barta is just a figure head. But since they and the school put themselves in this situation with Barta 'technically' being BFs boss and all. He needs to be the one hearing about it. Or why even do all that dog and pony show crap to skirt nepotism rules or laws or whatever they are within the public school sphere. That's them just trying to pacify folks yet still just doing whatever the hell it is they want.

If BF was doing a good job and not preventing Iowa from having better seasons then most would gladly be looking the other way I'd be at the front of that line. But he's not only not doing a good job he's been about as bad as an OC can be the last 2 yrs running. Enough is enough.
I am not saying your are not right about how you feel about BF. But, there is a huge difference between what fans think is reality and what KF thinks is reality. I doubt he is nearly as down on his son's performance as you are. At best, KF probably just thinks that BF needs a year or two to rehab his image with a good QB. Not saying I agree with that, but my opinion aint worth shit here, nor any other fans.

As for the other coaches, come on. If any of them are coaching at Iowa because they think they will be named the next HC, they are chasing a straight with a 3 and a 6 in their hand. Rarely does a coach retire and things end so well that a member of the staff just gets to takes over, whether it is BF or anyone. And, often times when a coach in waiting is named to replace a legend, that guy often is plucked away before it actually happens. Naming a coach in waiting is aspirational, not a commitment.

Gattis has issues aside from coaching ability. The guy doesn't get along with anyone. His own players didn't like him, the staffs he's been on didn't like him, sometimes people can be good at a particular job or skill, but they don't have the personality to make it work as a whole.

The fact that Gattis has had so many lateral moves in a field where moving up is the whole idea and everyone knows it, is a humongous red flag.

Also, like Rhule, Gattis' resume isn't very big, and it's well within reason to say he caught lightning in a bottle for a couple years and is a flash in the pan.

I am not saying your are not right about how you feel about BF. But, there is a huge difference between what fans think is reality and what KF thinks is reality. I doubt he is nearly as down on his son's performance as you are. At best, KF probably just thinks that BF needs a year or two to rehab his image with a good QB. Not saying I agree with that, but my opinion aint worth shit here, nor any other fans.

As for the other coaches, come on. If any of them are coaching at Iowa because they think they will be named the next HC, they are chasing a straight with a 3 and a 6 in their hand. Rarely does a coach retire and things end so well that a member of the staff just gets to takes over, whether it is BF or anyone. And, often times when a coach in waiting is named to replace a legend, that guy often is plucked away before it actually happens. Naming a coach in waiting is aspirational, not a commitment.
To be a fly on the wall to hear the conversations amongst KF his coaches and Barta would sure be something.. But yeah we don't know what they really think. That is the bottom line I agree

It's not that Woods or Wallace may think they are better qualified to be a HC in waiting then BF at all (maybe they would heck if I know). To me it's just about that they would think BF sure as hell shouldn't be. It's like how Bronny James was picked to be on the McDonalds All American team.. When there's probably 20 plus kids way more deserving. Being born on 3rd base sure helps..

Gattis has issues aside from coaching ability. The guy doesn't get along with anyone. His own players didn't like him, the staffs he's been on didn't like him, sometimes people can be good at a particular job or skill, but they don't have the personality to make it work as a whole.

The fact that Gattis has had so many lateral moves in a field where moving up is the whole idea and everyone knows it, is a humongous red flag.

Also, like Rhule, Gattis' resume isn't very big, and it's well within reason to say he caught lightning in a bottle for a couple years and is a flash in the pan.
Curious where you heard some of that from. I'd heard that he and Cristobol weren't exactly a good fit together but beyond that I don't know about players and him not getting along

Nobody will see anything coming before it happens at fort Kinnick. So many ways this can play out. If we get a new OC I would hope someone with less baggage than Gattis is picked. Unless Kirk wants someone who will not have any control over the offense and like previous OC's is expected to comply with Kirk's offensive restrictor plate. If that's the case we might as well stay with Brian. Which is what I believe will happen as Kirk is gonna let it ride.

Curious where you heard some of that from. I'd heard that he and Cristobol weren't exactly a good fit together but beyond that I don't know about players and him not getting along
Well, if you combine what went down in Miami with Gattis mysteriously bailing from Michigan the year before after Michigan won the Big Ten, its got to make you wonder.

I heard or read that Gattis took credit where it was not due at Alabama. I think someone was quoting Locklsey on that point. I don't think KF would hire him as he's just not distinguished himself. As I said before.

Iowa's offense will improve with BF or without BF, how could it get worse?

.....but I said that last year too

Well, if you combine what went down in Miami with Gattis mysteriously bailing from Michigan the year before after Michigan won the Big Ten, its got to make you wonder.
Harbaugh can't exactly be the easiest guy to get along with. I think he goes through coaches quite a bit I would imagine. I'm just wondering if this is actually reported stuff that's being talked about with Gattis or just message board rumors. Cause I just haven't seen anything myself is all

But BF works for Barta, right?

But BF works for Barta, right?
Sure. That is how they had to set things up legally. I also have title to the London Bridge if you are looking for a new bridge to buy.

Barta works for the boosters and the boosters love KF and KF decides what his football staff will be. So......