Music Thread

Canadian Brad Roberts can still bring it.
This wasn't a big hit, but I think it captures the CTD perfectly. (Although Superman's Song ain't bad)

I saw them this year too! What a great show. Serious fan service. Every good song from Ghosts that Still Haunt Me and God Shuffled His Feet. Plus the few others that bubbled out of the obscurity of their latter work. It was literally the perfect set. If you're a fan of them, you will hear everything you want to hear from them.

Such a great show. If you dig them and get a chance, it's well worth it.

Anybody that can work the word "phalanges" into their lyrics is primo in my book.

I saw them this year too! What a great show. Serious fan service. Every good song from Ghosts that Still Haunt Me and God Shuffled His Feet. Plus the few others that bubbled out of the obscurity of their latter work. It was literally the perfect set. If you're a fan of them, you will hear everything you want to hear from them.

Such a great show. If you dig them and get a chance, it's well worth it.

Anybody that can work the word "phalanges" into their lyrics is primo in my book.
Where did you see them at?

Where did you see them at?
They came through STL.
Played at Delmar Hall.....right next to The Pageant. Used to be a bike shop.
Some band popular with all the kids was playing at The Pageant. Line went around the building with young people.
As about 300-400 slightly gray haired people trickled in to Delmar Hall. Only one person was using a cane. No walkers yet, like you'll see at a Rolling Stones concert.

The English lads Gillan, Glover, Lord, Paice and Blackmore were ground-breaking.
Considered to be one of three original Metal bands (to include Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin)
RRHOF inductees in 2016....finally.
72's Machine Head embodies them perfectly.

Ian Gillan sang the part of Jesus on Andrew Lloyd Webber's 1970 rock opera album Jesus Christ Superstar.
He was then offered the lead role as Jesus in the 1973 film. He declined, making Ted Neeley a star instead.

Last edited:

The English lads Gillan, Glover, Lord, Paice and Blackmore were ground-breaking.
Considered to be one of three original Metal bands (to include Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin)
RRHOF inductees in 2016....finally.
72's Machine Head embodies them perfectly.

Ian Gillan sang the part on Jesus on Andrew Lloyd Webber's 1970 rock opera album Jesus Christ Superstar.
He was then offered the lead role as Jesus in the 1973 film. He declined, making Ted Neeley a star instead.
They were one of the biggest Hall Of Fame injustices there for a long time (of course it's hard to take that place seriously anymore)

Who's your biggest Hall of Fame injustice? I think '80's British bands are seriously under represented, especially if you consider influence on bands that followed. Roxy Music, The Buzzcocks, Joy Division and the Smith's should have been in long ago.

They were one of the biggest Hall Of Fame injustices there for a long time (of course it's hard to take that place seriously anymore)

Who's your biggest Hall of Fame injustice? I think '80's British bands are seriously under represented, especially if you consider influence on bands that followed. Roxy Music, The Buzzcocks, Joy Division and the Smith's should have been in long ago.
I'm sorta partial to Three Dog Night being in.

Although they wrote *zero* of their hits.

Last edited:
I'm sorta partial to Three Dog Night being on.

Although they wrote *zero* of their hits.
Let's see. A partial list of those who DID write their songs includes Randy Newman, Hoyt Axton, Russ Ballard, Paul Williams, Harry Nilsson and Laura Nyro

Last edited:
The RRHOF has been a head-scratcher for a long time.

The list of deserving snubs is a long one. I haven't paid much attention the last couple of inaugurations so this list may be inaccurate now:

Iron Maiden, Soundgarden, Thin Lizzy, Styx, Kansas, Bad Company, Tina Turner, Dionne Warwick, Phil Collins, The Spinners, etc., etc.

The Hall has kind of turned into it's own dysfunction version of Rolling Stone Magazine.

The RRHOF has been a head-scratcher for a long time.

The list of deserving snubs is a long one. I haven't paid much attention the last couple of inaugurations so this list may be inaccurate now:

Iron Maiden, Soundgarden, Thin Lizzy, Styx, Kansas, Bad Company, Tina Turner, Dionne Warwick, Phil Collins, The Spinners, etc., etc.

The Hall has kind of turned into it's own dysfunction version of Rolling Stone Magazine.

And Good Gawd....really?....it took until 2020 for the Doobies to make it?!

Something Else: The Pentangle

:cool:

The Smoker you Drink, the Player you Get.

Ahhhhhhh.....

Ahhh 1982. I was just graduating from Iowa's School of Pharmacy. The whole world was waiting.
It's been quite the 40-year ride. Rock on!

Something Else: The Pentangle

:cool:

Nice! I'll see your Late 60s/early 70s UK semi-psychedelic folk rock and call with:

Steeleye Span Live 1975 TV Concert - YouTube

Then I'll raise you the later 70s evolution to full on folk inspired prog.

Renaissance - Running Hard (BBC Sight & Sound 1977) - YouTube

This song has more of a Sandy Denny/Joni Mitchell feel.

100% this! I totally get the Sandy Denny adjacency. That's why I consider them like an early prog rock evolution of a Fairport Convention. The British/Celtic folk isn't at the core of Renaissance, but it's mixed in with everything else they put into their music. Maybe I think that just cause Annie Haslam and Sandy Denny could be cousins or something.

Also, speaking of Fairport, the Eagles blatantly stole Iain Matthews' arrangement of 7 Bridges Road. Too bad the guy who wrote it never thought to put a bunch of harmonies to it. I might be able to remember his name when it comes up. Steve something, I think.

Seven Bridges Road - Ian (Iaian) Matthews - YouTube

100% this! I totally get the Sandy Denny adjacency. That's why I consider them like an early prog rock evolution of a Fairport Convention. The British/Celtic folk isn't at the core of Renaissance, but it's mixed in with everything else they put into their music. Maybe I think that just cause Annie Haslam and Sandy Denny could be cousins or something.

Also, speaking of Fairport, the Eagles blatantly stole Iain Matthews' arrangement of 7 Bridges Road. Too bad the guy who wrote it never thought to put a bunch of harmonies to it. I might be able to remember his name when it comes up. Steve something, I think.

Seven Bridges Road - Ian (Iaian) Matthews - YouTube