Serious Question About Nebraska

Bro, the Stanzi ankle injury was irrelevant. Texas and Alabama were both undefeated and there was not a snowball's chance in hell of an Iowa team that needed two blocked FGs to beat UNI was gonna jump either one of them. Then that would have put us into a tougher bowl game matchup. We got lucky we drew GT that year.
One never knows about matchups. Win and advance. Win your bowl game and leave the rest.

Correct. To be honest, I'm surprised they didn't go get Bielema before he got hired at Illinois. Maybe they went after him, I don't know.

Bielema's a guy who knows it's gonna take time to figure it out, and he's not gonna get rattled along the way. nebraska fans think they're in the SEC and they can demand a guy win 10 games outta the gate or else...
Bielema would be a great hire. Only question would be could he bring them back to respectability before his massive heart attack ends his career. Dude is a walking time bomb medically speaking

Nebraska’s interim head coach made an interesting observation. He said that in the makeup of Iowa’s D, none of the 22 players on the 2 deep were transfers. He said it is critical to keep guys in the program for 4or5 years. Experience with the system is key to success. And, no, he did not say that you should not ever use transfers.

Now that Rhule has passed...Fickell seems to be the front runner.

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think Nebraska still gets better TV numbers than Iowa even during times of turmoil.
If that is the case, Nebraska brings more value to the conference Athletics than Iowa does.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think Nebraska still gets better TV numbers than Iowa even during times of turmoil.
If that is the case, Nebraska brings more value to the conference Athletics than Iowa does.
This thread isn’t about Iowa vs Nebraska. We all realize had Iowa not been one of the original members and had joined a different conference there is no way Iowa could get in today.

But Nebraska’s TV ratings have taken a serious dump. In week 12 the Nebraska/Wisconsin game had 1.63m viewers while Iowa/Minnesota had 2.5m. Ratings alone don’t magically make the Big Ten extra money it’s selling these games to the major networks.

I believe Iowa can recruit the players they need to win the national championship if they have the right coaching staff. Exhibit A is Phil Parker and the Iowa defense. We have a national championship worthy defense. We have a bottom feeder offense. Get coaching on the offensive side of the ball that’s as good as the coaching on the defensive side of the ball and you will have a team that’s capable of winning it all. Don’t buy into or sell the idea that we’re just poor old Iowa and therefore we can’t win it all. Simply not true.

Better recruits will come with better coaching. What 4 or 5 star offensive skill position recruits are going to come to Iowa with our current staff? When was the last time we had a quarterback improve the longer they were in the program? How about a receiver? We have shown the ability to send tight ends and offensive linemen to the NFL but not other offensive players and currently not even our offensive linemen are any good. Again it’s possible to win a championship at Iowa with the right coaches but we don’t have the right coaches on the offensive side of the ball and I am guessing that includes the head coach because that’s not how he wants to play.

Better recruits will come with better coaching. What 4 or 5 star offensive skill position recruits are going to come to Iowa with our current staff? When was the last time we had a quarterback improve the longer they were in the program? How about a receiver? We have shown the ability to send tight ends and offensive linemen to the NFL but not other offensive players and currently not even our offensive linemen are any good. Again it’s possible to win a championship at Iowa with the right coaches but we don’t have the right coaches on the offensive side of the ball and I am guessing that includes the head coach because that’s not how he wants to play.
You seriously believe that 1 Iowa can attract and pay the coaches to accomplish this and 2 can out recruit the likes of Michigan and tOSU to be a NC contender?

You seriously believe that 1 Iowa can attract and pay the coaches to accomplish this and 2 can out recruit the likes of Michigan and tOSU to be a NC contender?
We don’t have to out recruit. We have to out coach. I think you can argue that we have one of if not the best defensive coordinator in the country. Why can’t we find that or something similar on the offensive side of the ball? Is that an easy task? No. Is it a possibility? Yes. The biggest issue is that the head coach doesn’t seem to think that he needs to pursue it. He’s satisfied with what he has. He has the same mentality as the fans that say we’re just little old Iowa. We can’t compete with the big boys. Not true. We have 2/3 of the pieces we need. We only need to find the right offensive coordinator.

I absolutely think it’s possible. I also think it’s difficult and that the top guy doesn’t see the point of trying for excellence in that area. His ego isn’t pushing him to be the best. Too bad because the opportunity is there.

Well, yes. As the 14th highest revenue program, I would guess that a contender once in 10 years would be doable.

Did you marry a 7 or a 10?

I will break it down into a smaller need. We have the ability to coach and attract some of the best offensive linemen and tight ends in the country. We need an offensive coordinator who can bring in receivers and quarterbacks and be able to help them improve. Our running backs are probably sufficient.

Shoot we don’t even need that. Just imagine our best offensive line with the 2002 skill players mainly Brad Banks and this defense. We can do it but we won’t because our coaches don’t have the right mentality.

Latest posts