The data is in - Petras is an all-time Hawkeye great

okeefe4prez

This kid has been shit on relentlessly this season and I just want to set the record straight. This kid is legit. Is he going to win a Heisman? No. Is he ever gonna win you the natty? No. But he's fucking awesome.

Let's look at his performance.

2020 - really weird year, strife within the program, season started late, straight into the conference slate. Dude wins 6 games and would have won 8 if Michigan and Missouri weren't too chicken shit to play us. Petras didn't have games to work out the kinks and we dropped 2 early, but it was otherwise a perfect year out of him.

2021 - He had us ranked #2 in the country. We all knew we weren't really number 2, but we got there. Not many Iowa QBs in the history books can say that. The deep pass against Penn State was a work of art.

2022 - His best year, IMHO. I really cannot overstate how bad the line was to start the season. You guys know it was horrific. And with injuries the WR corps has been awful at times (there are guys who may be really good, but they are too young to be impact players). Petras caught shit from everyone. We've all seen Iowa implode when they get challenged like they did earlier this year and Petras has kept his head high and he goes out and wins games.

Here we are, the final week of the season, and Iowa still has a shot at the conference title. I think we would have to dig deep into the history books to find another Iowa QB who had us in position for consecutive conference titles going into the last week of the season. The kid plays within himself and does what the coaches ask of him. The coaches know we have really special units on defense and special teams and all they need the QB to do is take care of the pill. Every QB in the Ferentz era has been unable to duplicate a great season. Banks only had one. Chandler had one. Tate was unreal in 2004 but the d-line turnover in 2005 ruined that team. Stanzi had an insane run in 2009, no need to rehash 2010. And our last run at the conference title without Petras was of course 2015 with CJB, which was followed by a dud in 2016.

No matter what happens from here on out, this kid is a legend. Most of you guys would be a puddle of piss if half of Kinnick was booing every time you walked off the field. If this kid is walking on senior day (I don't know if he has a covid year or whatever) you dudes at the game better cheer so loud for him that it shakes windows in Coralville. He may be a lumbering statue with tunnel vision and moderate accuracy issues, but he's OUR lumbering statue with tunnel vision and moderate accuracy issues.

We love you Spencer!

While I can't go quite this far....
I am right with you.

I think it is fair to say we don't really know if he is great.

But if he's gonna take point in shit being given (when it's not entirely his due)...
He should be heralded for stuff that's also maybe not entirely his due.

I will admit, I wanted him replaced for the benefit of the future. 1989 was my first year as a Hawk fan. As an out of stater, I felt a kinship with the starting QB who was an alum of my high school. When he was replaced in that first horrid game against Oregon, I was mad. Yah. No. It was the right choice and the development of Matt Rogers proved brilliant.

But, i did come to realize, this offense is so bad. What kind of development would come from sending someone else out there? Not much. My interpretation of Kirk's statement "He gives us the best chance to win" became "he gives us thee best chance to not be completely embarrassed and being turned into an outright laughing stock".

Take his performance yesterday, the results you've noted...and most importantly, the grace in which he handled being the single point where all that heat was directed....

We love you, Spencer!

In reality, Petras probably (not probably he didn't) did not deserve all the shit that came his way this year. Poor line and Poor OC.

But, the guy as a quarterback, looks like he was pieced together from the junkyard. He is a bit more efficient than Jay 5.

But, like a junkyard dog, he keeps coming back for more after every big sack or bad pass he throws.

1668965609600.png

Would you stop trolling us with this shit?

I'm not trolling. The guy has lost 10 games in 3 years as a starter and has us in a spot for potentially consecutive conference title games. I don't think you understand the enormity of that. When in the entire history of Iowa football have we been in contention for the conference crown this late in the season two years in a row?

I was trying to think of games that he lost for us and it's pretty hard to do. Conversely, it is hard to think of a lot of games he won for us, but when you have what Iowa has you just need a guy to do exactly what he has done, which is not lose the game for us.

I don't care about the guy's stat line in losses. In pretty much every one of those games in the past two years he was under extreme duress and we had no answer for guys like that kid from Purdue or that Hutchinson kid from Michigan. The run game has done nothing to help him out. We have no credible way to stretch the field because the line is so bad we have no time and even if we did we only have one guy, a TE, who can consistently get open and catch it.

You watch some of these so called "elite QBs" when the game is close and a bunch of them are choke artists who try to throw into triple coverage or think they can run faster than Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl. Spencer knows who he is and he knows who his team is.

It's Thanksgiving week and we still have a shot at the Rose Bowl. The character of the players on this team is very high and Spencer is one of the leaders instilling it.

This is one of my favorite Iowa teams ever. I'd much rather see this type of season as a four or five loss season than the shit storm we had in 2010. Jack Campbell is an all time great. So is DeJean. This team has really turned it around.

This kid has been shit on relentlessly this season and I just want to set the record straight. This kid is legit. Is he going to win a Heisman? No. Is he ever gonna win you the natty? No. But he's fucking awesome.

2020 - really weird year, strife within the program, season started late, straight into the conference slate. Dude wins 6 games and would have won 8 if Michigan and Missouri weren't too chicken shit to play us. Petras didn't have games to work out the kinks and we dropped 2 early, but it was otherwise a perfect year out of him.

2021 - He had us ranked #2 in the country. We all knew we weren't really number 2, but we got there. Not many Iowa QBs in the history books can say that. The deep pass against Penn State was a work of art.

2022 - His best year, IMHO. I really cannot overstate how bad the line was to start the season. You guys know it was horrific. And with injuries the WR corps has been awful at times (there are guys who may be really good, but they are too young to be impact players). Petras caught shit from everyone. We've all seen Iowa implode when they get challenged like they did earlier this year and Petras has kept his head high and he goes out and wins games.

Here we are, the final week of the season, and Iowa still has a shot at the conference title. I think we would have to dig deep into the history books to find another Iowa QB who had us in position for consecutive conference titles going into the last week of the season. The kid plays within himself and does what the coaches ask of him. The coaches know we have really special units on defense and special teams and all they need the QB to do is take care of the pill. Every QB in the Ferentz era has been unable to duplicate a great season. Banks only had one. Chandler had one. Tate was unreal in 2004 but the d-line turnover in 2005 ruined that team. Stanzi had an insane run in 2009, no need to rehash 2010. And our last run at the conference title without Petras was of course 2015 with CJB, which was followed by a dud in 2016.

No matter what happens from here on out, this kid is a legend. Most of you guys would be a puddle of piss if half of Kinnick was booing every time you walked off the field. If this kid is walking on senior day (I don't know if he has a covid year or whatever) you dudes at the game better cheer so loud for him that it shakes windows in Coralville. He may be a lumbering statue with tunnel vision and moderate accuracy issues, but he's OUR lumbering statue with tunnel vision and moderate accuracy issues.

We love you Spencer!
He's taken more blame than he's been due. OC, Oline performance has been as much if not more to blame.

He makes some throws that few college qbs can. It's just too inconsistent, again how much if that is due to oline, schemes, coaching? Hard to know.

But his pocket presence, vision, inconsistencies (coached or lack of coached), still keeps his ceiling at GameDay qb at avg to slightly above avg. As a leader, teammate, spokesman... he's been top notch. Kid has been tough as nails with a ton of hate, much of it not fair, sent his way.

As usual, you're trolling game is pretty next level. Well played sir

He's taken more blame than he's been due. OC, Oline performance has been as much if not more to blame.

He makes some throws that few college qbs can. It's just too inconsistent, again how much if that is due to oline, schemes, coaching? Hard to know.

But his pocket presence, vision, inconsistencies (coached or lack of coached), still keeps his ceiling at GameDay qb at avg to slightly above avg. As a leader, teammate, spokesman... he's been top notch. Kid has been tough as nails with a ton of hate, much of it not fair, sent his way.

As usual, you're trolling game is pretty next level. Well played sir

I agree with this assessment as well.
I still think history should be kinder to him than it probably will be.

In reality, Petras probably (not probably he didn't) did not deserve all the shit that came his way this year. Poor line and Poor OC.

But, the guy as a quarterback, looks like he was pieced together from the junkyard. He is a bit more efficient than Jay 5.

But, like a junkyard dog, he keeps coming back for more after every big sack or bad pass he throws.
You know this is a shit post, right?

I agree with this assessment as well.
I still think history should be kinder to him than it probably will be.
If we win on Friday then history will be very kind. All history will see is back to back West championships following a shit year where a first year starter won most of our games under the weirdest circumstances.

If we win on Friday then history will be very kind. All history will see is back to back West championships following a shit year where a first year starter won most of our games under the weirdest circumstances.

I dunno. It is still a historically dismal offense.
One that will be remembered.
Asterisk worthy.

I'm not trolling. The guy has lost 10 games in 3 years as a starter and has us in a spot for potentially consecutive conference title games. I don't think you understand the enormity of that. When in the entire history of Iowa football have we been in contention for the conference crown this late in the season two years in a row?

I was trying to think of games that he lost for us and it's pretty hard to do. Conversely, it is hard to think of a lot of games he won for us, but when you have what Iowa has you just need a guy to do exactly what he has done, which is not lose the game for us.

I don't care about the guy's stat line in losses. In pretty much every one of those games in the past two years he was under extreme duress and we had no answer for guys like that kid from Purdue or that Hutchinson kid from Michigan. The run game has done nothing to help him out. We have no credible way to stretch the field because the line is so bad we have no time and even if we did we only have one guy, a TE, who can consistently get open and catch it.

You watch some of these so called "elite QBs" when the game is close and a bunch of them are choke artists who try to throw into triple coverage or think they can run faster than Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl. Spencer knows who he is and he knows who his team is.

It's Thanksgiving week and we still have a shot at the Rose Bowl. The character of the players on this team is very high and Spencer is one of the leaders instilling it.

This is one of my favorite Iowa teams ever. I'd much rather see this type of season as a four or five loss season than the shit storm we had in 2010. Jack Campbell is an all time great. So is DeJean. This team has really turned it around.
Admit it. You were hacked...

Come down off the ledge man. I would argue if anyone has us in the title game this year it's the defense. Petras had some nice throws yesterday and 2 hellfire missiles that he probably wished he could redo. One to Ragaini for 6 if he hadn't thrown it 105 miles an hour. One to RB that almost got picked. He played well. Defense saved us.

We love you Spencer!
Where is the data that you spoke of in the title of this thread? 2 division titles in a row? Is that the data?

We love you Spencer!

TLDR

Come down off the ledge man. I would argue if anyone has us in the title game this year it's the defense. Petras had some nice throws yesterday and 2 hellfire missiles that he probably wished he could redo. One to Ragaini for 6 if he hadn't thrown it 105 miles an hour. One to RB that almost got picked. He played well. Defense saved us.
You got rickrolled