A thoughtful evaluation of the Iowa Offense on twitter

NCHawker

honestly I don't understand some of it, but its refreshing to have an informed opinion.

--- final though bottom line---
Either a consistent QB or an improved OL would see a pretty drastic improvement. But the way the system is structured, there really just is no way to make it work consistently well. And that's the downfall. Whether recruiting, development, whatever, it just can't work as it is

It's a strange approach to know your offense is going to suck, especially early in the season, and not try to make some changes. When Iowa lost all its RB's in 2004, did they continue to try run the ball? No they opened up the passing game and switched to a pass-first offense. When it was obvious Jake C. Or Jake R. was not the answer at QB, they switched QB's. This change nothing approach is just bizarre.

It's a strange approach to know your offense is going to suck, especially early in the season, and not try to make some changes. When Iowa lost all its RB's in 2004, did they continue to try run the ball? No they opened up the passing game and switched to a pass-first offense. When it was obvious Jake C. Or Jake R. was not the answer at QB, they switched QB's. This change nothing approach is just bizarre.

I wonder if Padilla has punched out and not exhibiting the rah rah that they want. That is a sure ticket to the bench at Iowa. So, nomatter how bad it gets, he ain't gonna play

It is not uncommon for a coach to sit a player for a series or two just to give him some perspective, or to see if the backup can provide a spark when things are not going well. I don't understand why Kirk doesn't give Padilla and/or Labas a few plays to see how they might do in a game environment. What is the downside at this point?

If Padilla and Labas really are so vastly inferior to Petras that they are unplayable, we have serious concerns for the future. They're not going to magically become B10 caliber players in one more year of 'development'.

It is not uncommon for a coach to sit a player for a series or two just to give him some perspective, or to see if the backup can provide a spark when things are not going well. I don't understand why Kirk doesn't give Padilla and/or Labas a few plays to see how they might do in a game environment. What is the downside at this point?

If Padilla and Labas really are so vastly inferior to Petras that they are unplayable, we have serious concerns for the future. They're not going to magically become B10 caliber players in one more year of 'development'.
How would they really know if they are since Petras gets a majority of the snaps in practice as a 1?

Logan Jones said today the offense is starting click and he's excited about the remaining schedule.

And to throw a wrinkle for the opposing defense.
At least make them second guess a couple things.

I wonder if Padilla has punched out and not exhibiting the rah rah that they want. That is a sure ticket to the bench at Iowa. So, nomatter how bad it gets, he ain't gonna play
My thinking leans that way as well. Kirk likes good Boy Scout traits especially from his QB's. The old college sport's model is slipping through Kirk and Gary's hands. More and more programs are playing hardball as WI reminds us recently. We lack offensive weapons (talent?) for sure. Might pick up a few lessons from Brands........not all his recruits are alter boys but they do provide pretty damn good results.

stubborn-donkey.gif

Fans boo all you want, complain on social media all you want, this stubborn ass is not going to move. Frustrating isn't it.

Thing that gets me about Coach Ferentz on his Quarterback situations through the years when they don't do well......what is he out if he plays Padilla or Labas for a few series? At worse, they still lose to the clowns and wolves right? But, you now have more game experiences between three QBs.

I felt this way, too but, at this point, realize ... there's not a damn thing they can fix with a change.

The OL is the bedrock of Iowa's offensive success. The OL is (and has been) subpar. You can change QB's but the running game is still gonna be what it is - below average. You can emphasize passing but, no matter who the QB is, he's still gonna get rushed, harassed and abused.

Petras and Padilla are marginally different in their consistency and accuracy. In this situation where there is no obvious and significant improvement to be gained - regardless of the "potential possibility" - KF will ALWAYS go with the known, experienced status quo where seniority trumps possibility.

We can argue and bitch all day about the various changes we'd like to TRY but, right now, this season, they simply don't have the skills nor the talent to work with to get better. The only strategy is to ride it out and hope for some good luck / blind squirrel moments along the way.

Call me an optimist, but I think we will see an average offensive performance against Illinois, which is explosive by Iowa 2022 standards. Petras has started for three years. He was good his first year and at least serviceable last season when healthy. His problems this year have been a GREEEEEN offensive line and throwing passes towards walk-ons. The OL has played a smidge better each game and Petras has gotten better as the OL has gotten better. Watching the offense against Michigan, it was not a complete and utter trainwreck. Michigan has a lot of talent on its D, and while Illinois is better, it will be a step down in competition. KF will continue to coach up the young OL and they will incrementally get better and Petras will follow.

Most of us have said since before the first game this year that the offense will go as far as the OL will take them. They are getting better. Its painful, but its better.

I expect Iowa to score some points and play right with Illinois. It will come down to who plays the cleanest game. If so, I like our chances.

I felt this way, too but, at this point, realize ... there's not a damn thing they can fix with a change.

The OL is the bedrock of Iowa's offensive success. The OL is (and has been) subpar. You can change QB's but the running game is still gonna be what it is - below average. You can emphasize passing but, no matter who the QB is, he's still gonna get rushed, harassed and abused.

Petras and Padilla are marginally different in their consistency and accuracy. In this situation where there is no obvious and significant improvement to be gained - regardless of the "potential possibility" - KF will ALWAYS go with the known, experienced status quo where seniority trumps possibility.

We can argue and bitch all day about the various changes we'd like to TRY but, right now, this season, they simply don't have the skills nor the talent to work with to get better. The only strategy is to ride it out and hope for some good luck / blind squirrel moments along the way.
This.

Last edited:
Call me an optimist, but I think we will see an average offensive performance against Illinois, which is explosive by Iowa 2022 standards. Petras has started for three years. He was good his first year and at least serviceable last season when healthy. His problems this year have been a GREEEEEN offensive line and throwing passes towards walk-ons. The OL has played a smidge better each game and Petras has gotten better as the OL has gotten better. Watching the offense against Michigan, it was not a complete and utter trainwreck. Michigan has a lot of talent on its D, and while Illinois is better, it will be a step down in competition. KF will continue to coach up the young OL and they will incrementally get better and Petras will follow.

Most of us have said since before the first game this year that the offense will go as far as the OL will take them. They are getting better. Its painful, but its better.

I expect Iowa to score some points and play right with Illinois. It will come down to who plays the cleanest game. If so, I like our chances.
Optimist

I will join your optimist club.

In the spring, I had pretty high (unrealistically high) hopes for this team. As the WR and OL attrition became evident, that quickly changed to anxiety. That anxiety was validated during Game 1.

Since then, I have mostly laughed at the absurdity of the offense, and enjoyed the excellence of the other 2 units. Now that I am more realistic about this team's ceiling, I am encouraged by watching the offensive improvements week to week as opposed to apoplectic about how bad they still are. We still have a very realistic chance at becoming the most flawed and hated B1G West champ ever, which would be kind of fun.

I am all in favor of a complete offensive overall, but since we are not going to get that during the season (or probably until KF retires), I am just going along for the ride and trying to find joy where I can.

I will join your optimist club.

In the spring, I had pretty high (unrealistically high) hopes for this team. As the WR and OL attrition became evident, that quickly changed to anxiety. That anxiety was validated during Game 1.

Since then, I have mostly laughed at the absurdity of the offense, and enjoyed the excellence of the other 2 units. Now that I am more realistic about this team's ceiling, I am encouraged by watching the offensive improvements week to week as opposed to apoplectic about how bad they still are. We still have a very realistic chance at becoming the most flawed and hated B1G West champ ever, which would be kind of fun.

I am all in favor of a complete offensive overall, but since we are not going to get that during the season (or probably until KF retires), I am just going along for the ride and trying to find joy where I can.

Yeah, I am in the same boat as well. We can debate why and how we got here all day long. At this point you just want to see the o-line to continue to improve. I want to see if Kaleb Johnson can be a bell cow runningback. Take the training wheels off and give him 20+ touches a game and lets see what it looks like.