Disappointed in the Defense

schematically - Hawks did what they do. Difference today was how hard #2 ran for Michigan.
Would be interested in how many plays he was hit and would be 1-3yd gains, but Corum was able to drive those for 5-7yd gains. Not many 2nd & 8+yds in 1st half.

Mich played almost error free on offense: no major drive stopping penalties, dropped/tipped passes, turnovers, etc. It's what 'Bend don't Break' depends on.

Basically D held to 20pts, always the goal for Defense. Offense has to find way to 21.

Agreed. Additionally, when M. got their final TD, it was with garbage yards since Iowa went fourth and long in desperation efforts. Makes me sick that Iowa had every chance to make the game 20-14 late. Then what? Damn.
So frustrating....and the 4th down and 2....and a 1 yard incomplete pass.

Weird game, Iowa's D played well but the D-line got overpowered and their running back was a stud, but come on, the D was great at stopping the points. I bet only Ohio State comes close to Iowa's stats on D against Mich. this year. Late in the game Iowa's D played well and the offense had a chance to make it a one score game. Inexplicable play calling and head scratching officiating cost Iowa this game. Brian's game plan involved running up the gut of the D the entire first half with almost no positive results. Petras is a better downfield passer than anything else and Brian took the ball out of his hands numerous times on second and third down to try to outmuscle Michigan with the inside run game. Petras made some very nice throws in this game but it seemed like when he got into a comfort zone Brian would take the ball out of his hands. Tough loss but not a blow out. Iowa can bounce back and beat some bad West teams this season. Really got to put this one on the O-line again. Guys were at their worst when Iowa needed them the most. Seems to be the trend lately with o line.

oh to be reminded the 2002 team averaged 37 pts a game....hard to believe when you watch offensive garbage game after game.

That was one of the best O Lines we will face all year, if not the best. And Corum was a handful. He is one of those shorter, stout backs that runs low and is very difficult to bring down. I said during the game, Michigan could have run the ball every play and still beat us. I never felt like we had much of a chance to stop their running game. That makes it tough because our #1 priority on defense is to stop the run.
Their defense is damn good too. We could play Michigan 10 times and they'd beat us at least 9.

That was one of the best O Lines we will face all year, if not the best. And Corum was a handful. He is one of those shorter, stout backs that runs low and is very difficult to bring down. I said during the game, Michigan could have run the ball every play and still beat us. I never felt like we had much of a chance to stop their running game. That makes it tough because our #1 priority on defense is to stop the run.
Their defense is damn good too. We could play Michigan 10 times and they'd beat us at least 9.
I think this is true. And, almost everyone had this game as a loss, anyway, so I'm moving on. :-(

How goofy is the West Division? MN loses to struggling Purdue AT HOME; Wisconsin loses by 24 to Illinois AT HOME. Illinois already lost to Indiana, which got beat by Nebraska...which lost to NWestern. Talk about a wide-open division!

How goofy is the West Division? MN loses to struggling Purdue AT HOME; Wisconsin loses by 24 to Illinois AT HOME. Illinois already lost to Indiana, which got beat by Nebraska...which lost to NWestern. Talk about a wide-open division!
It is going to be interesting to see who comes out on top of this mountain of trash in the West.

I was disappointed that the D Line got pushed, especially in the first quarter and most of the first half. Now add to that Corum's power and ability to get another 3-5 yards with 2 guys on his back. It gives us what we had. Michigan did not try to win this through the air. Although they could have thrown more. Jimmy was taking care to protect his QB. It was enough

Illinois will run like Michigan but they'll also air it out too. Its possible that Illinois scores more points than Michigan does.

I was disappointed that the D Line got pushed, especially in the first quarter and most of the first half. Now add to that Corum's power and ability to get another 3-5 yards with 2 guys on his back. It gives us what we had. Michigan did not try to win this through the air. Although they could have thrown more. Jimmy was taking care to protect his QB. It was enough

Illinois will run like Michigan but they'll also air it out too. Its possible that Illinois scores more points than Michigan does.
Iowa could be staring down the barrel of 2 huge blow out losses 2 games in a row.

Snort...snort......that's football!
Exactly what he would say. Did you catch what Kirk said......."Call me crazy, but our offense is improving." Yes Kirk, you are crazy. Fire your son and go get a proven Offensive Coordinator.....and a real D1 QB, receivers, and O-Line.......a Nick Bell, Shonne Greene, or Ron Dayne type running back would also help.

Weird game, Iowa's D played well but the D-line got overpowered and their running back was a stud, but come on, the D was great at stopping the points. I bet only Ohio State comes close to Iowa's stats on D against Mich. this year. Late in the game Iowa's D played well and the offense had a chance to make it a one score game. Inexplicable play calling and head scratching officiating cost Iowa this game. Brian's game plan involved running up the gut of the D the entire first half with almost no positive results. Petras is a better downfield passer than anything else and Brian took the ball out of his hands numerous times on second and third down to try to outmuscle Michigan with the inside run game. Petras made some very nice throws in this game but it seemed like when he got into a comfort zone Brian would take the ball out of his hands. Tough loss but not a blow out. Iowa can bounce back and beat some bad West teams this season. Really got to put this one on the O-line again. Guys were at their worst when Iowa needed them the most. Seems to be the trend lately with o line.
Good stuff, Dahl.

Iowa D is definitely strongest in the back.

The D line was going against the number top O line.

When you have to play to every time shit down the other team it changes the matrix of what you can do. To much of a task.