New 2-Deep Released, Ragaini Not Listed

DeJean is a matter of not knowing where to put him. That'll take time to figure out. If you've listened to any podcasts or interviews with staff they all say he's talented in all 3 phases so they don't know where he's going to go. He'll get plenty of PT, I wouldn't read into it too much.
In Phil I Trust. He will figure it out.

If Jestin Jacobs can handle pass coverage he is going to be hard to keep him off the field. Schulte looks like the weak link, but we know how this story plays out. We have seen the walk-on safety that just knows how to play too many times. I trust Phil as well, but getting Dejean and Nwankpa snaps, barring injury, is going to be tricky.

I trust Phil as well, but getting Dejean and Nwankpa snaps, barring injury, is going to be tricky.
Phil hasn’t talked about two athletes like he has Nwankpa and DeJean. Neither has Ferentz. They’re gonna get a bunch of playing time IMO

Strikes me a a Championship level defense and a middle of the pack offense
Nothing new just hope to be wrong

Middle of the pack is likely being very optimistic. What is there 131 teams and muddle of the pack would be 65th. That’s a big jump from 121. I hope we end up in the top 40 (ridiculous really to wish for that).

Middle of the pack is likely being very optimistic. What is there 131 teams and muddle of the pack would be 65th. That’s a big jump from 121. I hope we end up in the top 40 (ridiculous really to wish for that).
I'm not a Skittle shitter and rainbow farter like a lot of people here and elsewhere when it comes to the Hawkeyes, but you take it to a whole new level of miserableness. Wouldn't your life be more enjoyable if you found a team you liked and could happily root for? I mean, no one here would hold it against you. Why be so miserable in life?

I'm not surprised Colby is listed at Guard -- I think that's his strongest position and I wasn't that impressed with him at RT on Kid's Day, as I mentioned earlier. Now, if Richman can't go for some reason at LT, look for Plumb to move over there and then you might see Colby back outside at RT. Man, that OLine makes me very nervous: 2 guys who've never started a game, and at least one other who hasn't been very good. It's mind-boggling in recent years how many times we've said that Iowa's o-line was a weakness and/or unproven.

Does anyone know precisely what Ragaini's injury is?
Its pretty darn rare for Iowa to start a true freshman on the OL. When it happens, they usually end up as dominant tackles. Colby is clearly one of the 5 best OL and he has the size and skill to play tackle. He is a natural tackle, IMHO. We sucked at RT last year and sending the same guy(s) out there seems unwise. Colby may have some growing pains, but he is a the long term best solution at RT. We have a lot of candidates to slot in at the two guard positions.

Ragaini hurt his foot. Sounds like a hairline fracture or the like. Needs a few weeks to heal up before he can get back out there.

I'm not a Skittle shitter and rainbow farter like a lot of people here and elsewhere when it comes to the Hawkeyes, but you take it to a whole new level of miserableness. Wouldn't your life be more enjoyable if you found a team you liked and could happily root for? I mean, no one here would hold it against you. Why be so miserable in life?

This seems like a response driven by more posts than just this post, but IMO, the analysis is spot on. Being just an average offense would actually be a remarkable feat and I would take it. If the offense were just 100% average, middle of the pack, say putting up 21-24 points a game, winning time of possession and not turning the ball over, this team will win the West.

The defense is better than last year on paper. Its unlikely to replicate the turnover festival from last year, but the talent is as good or better and its certainly deeper than last year. Special teams look above average again.

A competent and efficient offense is all Iowa needs to win double digits again this year. We shall see.

This seems like a response driven by more posts than just this post, but IMO, the analysis is spot on. Being just an average offense would actually be a remarkable feat and I would take it. If the offense were just 100% average, middle of the pack, say putting up 21-24 points a game, winning time of possession and not turning the ball over, this team will win the West.

The defense is better than last year on paper. Its unlikely to replicate the turnover festival from last year, but the talent is as good or better and its certainly deeper than last year. Special teams look above average again.

A competent and efficient offense is all Iowa needs to win double digits again this year. We shall see.
All you have to do is look at his post history. It’s nothing but being miserable and pissed off and complaining about Iowa football that he claims to be a fan of. I just think it’d be easier for him to follow a team that wins more and be less of a whiny pissed off person. Nowhere is there a contract that says he has to root for the Hawks

Look, if all your team did was win everytime this shit would be pretty boring. Even Bama fans criticize Saban and the team. Its the nature of sports. Its unpredictable. If it were predictable, we wouldn't love it so much. But, if being a sports fan is more a negative than a positive in your life, take up tap dancing instead. We should all be here because we love the Hawks and it is fun to discuss and debate things.

All you have to do is look at his post history. It’s nothing but being miserable and pissed off and complaining about Iowa football that he claims to be a fan of. I just think it’d be easier for him to follow a team that wins more and be less of a whiny pissed off person. Nowhere is there a contract that says he has to root for the Hawks

Totally dishonest post. I have nothing but praises for the defense. Also last year I predicted Goodson would haves break out year and that Iowa would have a really good year. I did not expect the offensive line to struggle like it did.

I’ve also been on here at least five years longer than you have. What were you doing fifteen years ago? Still sucking on your mommies tit?

The thing that is just hard to accept is how the offense seems to be the dead weight on this team and God help us if we could see some honest efforts to invigorate the offense. The most successful years have had is when we had some sort of a dual threat QB, when a QB could extend the play with their legs, with reasonable accuracy when throwing the ball. So reason would say why not recruit solely for that type of QB and build an offense for and around that type of offense. It’s not like we are winning conference championships doing what we are doing. Speaking of which your the one that said it’s impossible to win a conference title. I’m the one who thinks otherwise. So who is the negative one on here???

I’ve said several times that I hope Brian figures it out like he did for one game against Ohio State. Also when everyone was boo hooing, Bobby stoops this and booby stoops that I was the one defending and supporting Kirk by saying once he gets the lines built up we would be just fine.

Oh that’s right your one of these Jonny come lately people on here that don’t k is what the hell you are talking about. The long timers on her know I am telling the truth.

When

Totally dishonest post. I have nothing but praises for the defense. Also last year I predicted Goodson would haves break out year and that Iowa would have a really good year. I did not expect the offensive line to struggle like it did.

I’ve also been on here at least five years longer than you have. What were you doing fifteen years ago? Still sucking on your mommies tit?

The thing that is just hard to accept is how the offense seems to be the dead weight on this team and God help us if we could see some honest efforts to invigorate the offense. The most successful years have had is when we had some sort of a dual threat QB, when a QB could extend the play with their legs, with reasonable accuracy when throwing the ball. So reason would say why not recruit solely for that type of QB and build an offense for and around that type of offense. It’s not like we are winning conference championships doing what we are doing. Speaking of which your the one that said it’s impossible to win a conference title. I’m the one who thinks otherwise. So who is the negative one on here???

I’ve said several times that I hope Brian figures it out like he did for one game against Ohio State. Also when everyone was boo hooing, Bobby stoops this and booby stoops that I was the one defending and supporting Kirk by saying once he gets the lines built up we would be just fine.

Oh that’s right your one of these Jonny come lately people on here that don’t k is what the hell you are talking about. The long timers on her know I am telling the truth.

When

Even though it sounds like the same skill set, having a dedicated dual threat QB is completely different than having a QB that can extend plays with their legs to find receivers. The latter is who Iowa prefers for their offense. That is their identify.

If you move to change to a dual threat QB (Michael Vick, etc.), than that is completely reinventing your offense, along with blocking responsibilities. That will take a couple years to recruit to that style and to implement that system. Iowa and fans are not going to just accept a couple years for this to happen. Ya gotta get the players in to fit the offense. Iowa has no intention of doing that. The closest player that Iowa has had to a dual threat QB is Brad Banks, but he was getting those running yards out of the existing pocket passer offense. They didn't redesign the offense to fit his running plays, besides maybe a few plays.

Tate was a QB who did well extending plays with his legs. He'd often find receivers after using his legs to avoid rushers. They didn't use him as a dual threat QB, though. It's completely different.

Now, to your point about trying to recruit players that have the ability to extend plays, I'm sure their intention is to do that and are trying to do that. Sometimes it just doesn't work out and they have to see what they have and how the player adjusts to college ball. They prob thought Petras and Padilla had that capability, but it's a crap shoot until the player gets to the program.

I don't think Iowa has any interest in recruiting a true dual threat QB as they would have to change their offense and KF doesn't like the reward to injury risk balance. It's just not him. So, I think we need to get over that. But, I do think they try to find QB's that are mobile to extend plays.

Last edited:

When

Also, to your point about the Iowa vs Ohio St game, you state you want Brian to figure it out like he did against Ohio St. Well, that was with Stanley using Iowa's current offensive system. Stanley was no dual threat QB or did not extend plays with his legs. So you like that game because we won and won big.

Now, I agree with you they should maybe call plays a bit different and let the QB's play loose. That was the difference that game. So, the current offensive system CAN WORK without a dual threat QB. They just need all the ingredients in place and the coaches need to trust the players to make plays.

When
Bullshit. All you do is come here and bash the Hawks for not winning conference titles and whine and piss and moan about how Iowa never meets the criteria you set.

I can start quoting if you want. There’s enough material in the last two weeks to keep me busy quoting you for the next two months.

Now, I agree with you they should maybe call plays a bit different and let the QB's play loose. That was the difference that game. So, the current offensive system CAN WORK without a dual threat QB. They just need all the ingredients in place and the coaches need to trust the players to make plays.
Yep, this right here. This was the difference with Stanzi and Beathard. These guys played to win, rather than to not lose. Now were they better than Stanley and Petras? Yes, but it’s hard for me to imagine this team doesn’t benefit this year from getting more inspired play out of Petras. He has looked jumpy a good number of times, so is that even possible? I really don’t know, but I’d like to at least be convinced that they gave him the opportunity to play differently over the first four games this year.

Colby will get plenty of snaps at tackle this weekend. The coaches are going to want to see what he can do out there in game speed, and they are going to.want to see what The Incredible Dunk can do at guard. I bet Colby ends the game at tackle this week.

If our O line can gel (the line was dreadful last year), I think middle of the pack is not unreasonable. I may be generally more optimistic than you... and I'm not overly optimistic.

Yep, this right here. This was the difference with Stanzi and Beathard. These guys played to win, rather than to not lose. Now were they better than Stanley and Petras? Yes, but it’s hard for me to imagine this team doesn’t benefit this year from getting more inspired play out of Petras. He has looked jumpy a good number of times, so is that even possible? I really don’t know, but I’d like to at least be convinced that they gave him the opportunity to play differently over the first four games this year.

I've always had concern that they do handcuff their QB's to an extent while teaching them the system. Stanzi got a little wild and deviated a couple times early in his career which didn't sit well with Ferentz. I clearly remember coming down to the end of the first half, I believe Ferentz was doing his thang and calling a conservative game around the 50 yd line or even on the Iowa side. I think I remember Stanzi either audible out of a safe play or went to a different read or something and threw a TD or got a good gain downfield or something. I swear Stanzi got heat for not following the game plan. Anybody else remember this?

Stanzi just had it and played loose and was very successful. Yes, he threw some pick 6's, but he flushed the play and played on. He was terrific at playing thru mistakes as he didn't let it build up in him.

I think Iowa's QB's typically play scared or play to not make mistakes, which is not always good. They play tight.

I've always had concern that they do handcuff their QB's to an extent while teaching them the system. Stanzi got a little wild and deviated a couple times early in his career which didn't sit well with Ferentz. I clearly remember coming down to the end of the first half, I believe Ferentz was doing his thang and calling a conservative game around the 50 yd line or even on the Iowa side. I think I remember Stanzi either audible out of a safe play or went to a different read or something and threw a TD or got a good gain downfield or something. I swear Stanzi got heat for not following the game plan. Anybody else remember this?

Stanzi just had it and played loose and was very successful. Yes, he threw some pick 6's, but he flushed the play and played on. He was terrific at playing thru mistakes as he didn't let it build up in him.

I think Iowa's QB's typically play scared or play to not make mistakes, which is not always good. They play tight.
I see this as an area where Petras might be able to differentiate himself if he can calm the nerves, the way Stanzi did as you’ve pointed out. Stanley never really had a chance here, a wide open receiver down the seam or sideline was a 50-50 ball at best for Stanley, which I still find incomprehensible with a full career in the system. Petras has shown that he can hit those throws. Do we have the horses with the injuries at WR, and can Petras get out his head a read the field this year?

Stanley did it in a couple games, Iowa State and Ohio State in 2017 spring to mind.

Those are my burning questions. I am not optimistic, but I am fully open to being surprised.

Generally, if you look at most Iowa games over the past several years, it's uncanny... if Iowa scores more than 21-24 points, they win most every game. Maybe there are a few stray examples that refute that, but I think that's totally accurate. If Iowa scores 24 they win!

Generally, if you look at most Iowa games over the past several years, it's uncanny... if Iowa scores more than 21-24 points, they win most every game. Maybe there are a few stray examples that refute that, but I think that's totally accurate. If Iowa scores 24 they win!

The last 7 years (back through 2015), they have lost the following when scoring more than 24+ pts.

'18 PSU, 24 - 30
'18 Purdue, 36 - 38
'16 NW, 31 - 38

That spans 88 games (63 -25 record), and 25 total losses. The average points scored in the other 23 losses = 10.2 pts/game.

Remember 2014, the year of "failing to set the edge"? That was right after Morris/Kirksey/Hitchens graduated, and we had senior Quinton Alston, combined with sophomore Reggie Spearman and freshmen Bo Bowers and Josey Jewell playing LB. We also had a scrappy but undersized DE (Nate Meier) playing opposite of Drew Ott. That year we lost games by the following scores:

31 - 38 (Maryland)
34 - 37 (Nebraska)
28 - 45 (Tennessee)

Last edited:

Latest posts