4-Star JP Estrella High on Hawkeye Basketball

Well with that Omaha Biliew kid going to ISU I'd say the importance of us getting JP just went up a notch. Not gonna lie I'm surprised Omaha went to ISU. I figured he was going to do the G league route. How come Frans recruiting of him didn't latch on? Picking ISU when you have the options, he had is just head scratching

I just read on a 'Cuse site that he canceled his visit to Duke and it appears to be down to Syracuse and IA with the team's chemistry being the primary thing he's looking for. I think we have a great chance here!!

One thing we don't have going for us is that Syracuse is only about a 6 hour drive from his hometown.
Correct. I think the fact we were one of his first offers and have had 3 years of having an All-American post player really helps. But the fact there is no easy way to get to Maine is tough to overcome.

I will say, I think the luster of Syracuse is starting to come off. Boeheim should have retired about 5 years ago but I think he wanted to coach his kids so badly that it might hurt his legacy of being one of the best college basketball coaches of all time.

Boeheim is at 998 wins. Honestly I could see him being done after this year when he gets to 1,000.
That is a good point. Plus I don't believe he has any more of his kids in school. He still does get pretty good talent to commit to the Orange, so I would not be surprised if that is the route JP goes, just hope he decides to be a Hawk. Would be interesting seeing him and Koch playing together.

Iowa is objectively a better program the Syracuse right now. And while playing for a living legend is cool, playing for one that is hanging on and mediocre is kind of sad and not stable.

kids like this spend their Summer traveling and playing ball. Hopefully, he wants to see new places. A high level kid like this should not care where his zip code is for a few years, as long as he is set up for success and a shot at the next level. He should pick Iowa.

Let's hurry up and land him before Creighton and Kansas send their bagman out!

Over the years, I've realized how much fit matters in college coaching. KF and FM fit Iowa football and basketball, respectively. Are they the only fits? No. But they fit. Lickliter fit at Butler (with a lot of help) but not at Iowa. Alford didn't fit at Iowa.

How would KF do at Alabama or Ohio State?
How would FM do at Kansas or UNC?
How would Saban do at Iowa or Iowa State?
How would Bruce Pearl do at Iowa?

Sorry to get off topic. My mind wonders during the summer.
Sometimes it's just a matter of a few smaller breaks that are actually big. What if Brad Banks didn't come to Iowa and get one year to start and also save a few games the year before? What if Pierce didn't get into trouble? What if Lick got one great PG? What if Garza didn't come? Would they fit or not fit? If KF didn't buckle down and allow CJ to finally start? What if SG was injured? It's a game of inches.

One that drives others nuts, but what if HF didn't have 2 good recruiting classes that made up KF's historic run? If the rape case ended differently? IF Pearl didn't ever meet Deon Thomas? It can go on and on.

Well with that Omaha Biliew kid going to ISU I'd say the importance of us getting JP just went up a notch. Not gonna lie I'm surprised Omaha went to ISU. I figured he was going to do the G league route. How come Frans recruiting of him didn't latch on? Picking ISU when you have the options, he had is just head scratching
Probably in the minority here but I'd rather see Biliew go to ISU than KU or another blue blood. He's likely one-and-done anyway, it'll be fun to watch him for one game.

Probably in the minority here but I'd rather see Biliew go to ISU than KU or another blue blood. He's likely one-and-done anyway, it'll be fun to watch him for one game.
Yeah him not going to Kansas is good. It just felt like he wasn't looking to stick around locally yet at the end of the day that's exactly what he's doing. I'm curious why ISU and not Iowa though. Iowa was cut out quite awhile ago it seems like and I figure there'd must be a why to it. Not that we'll ever find that out unless he deides to just say so.

I just can't get the thought out of my head what a difference maker he'd be with us. Imagine if say Kris were to stay till his senior yr and play with him. Holy crap what a group we coulda had (but still will) Just me dreaming

Given everything I've read about how much he enjoyed his Iowa visit, Syracuse is going to have to really blow him away to lure him there. For once, I actually think we are going to win this battle and Mr. Estrella will look great in the Black and Gold!

Boeheim is at 998 wins. Honestly I could see him being done after this year when he gets to 1,000.
He would already be over that if he hadn't had his hand caught in the cookie jar and had a bunch of wins vacated. I remember at one point he was going to retire back in 2015 so maybe his enthusiasm has waned a bit.

Given everything I've read about how much he enjoyed his Iowa visit, Syracuse is going to have to really blow him away to lure him there. For once, I actually think we are going to win this battle and Mr. Estrella will look great in the Black and Gold!

Syracuse uniforms are Black and Gold.....?

It is going to be difficult to lure him away

Garza and Keegan's development and national acclaim plus his visit to IC which
went very well might lure him away

Boeheim retiring after this season is a plus factor for the Hawks

The sands of time will tell the tale

:cool:

Are you projecting Syracuse only wins 2 games this year? Not that I dislike Boeheim... well, actually, I don't like Jimmy B come to think of it!

I read the Syracuse report and it read almost like the Iowa report. Honestly, what do we expect these kids to say? They get the red carpet rolled out and their ass kissed for three days, who wouldn't enjoy that experience? I am sure the coaches have a pretty good idea of what a recruit is looking for before they step on campus, and they feed them what they want to hear. If a kid comes back from a visit and doesn't gush over what he saw, the coach isn't very good at his job.

If he truly is looking for the current program that is winning, stable and sending big men to the league, clearly Iowa is his choice. But, if having family closer is a big factor, Cuse are a lot closer. Probably boils down to weighing those two things. NIL is a wildcard as well. 50/50 feel to me. Hope we land him.