B1G going to talk revenue sharing with players?

spliff45

Dan Murphy

@DanMurphyESPN

·
56m

Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren met with leaders of an independent players association this week. The group has asked to begin a conversation with the conference about demands including revenue sharing, and says Warren agreed to start that conversation.

Dan Murphy
@DanMurphyESPN

·
56m

Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren met with leaders of an independent players association this week. The group has asked to begin a conversation with the conference about demands including revenue sharing, and says Warren agreed to start that conversation.
Hmm... That's damn near close to making them all employees and being able to unionize and all that fun stuff. Making it another professional league pretty much.

Everyone mad at this should be mad at the ncaa and Mark Emmert. Not the schools, and not the players.

Players asked for a pittance decades ago and were told to go get fucked. Now the ncaa can go get fucked. I love it.

Mark Emmert’s multi million dollar house, his vehicles, retirement accounts, and offspring’s tuition was all paid for 100% by kids who were told if they so much as signed an autograph for $20, or did a local radio ad for $100, or made $0.10 for a YouTube video of nothing to do with sports, that they’d lose their eligibility permanently and never again be able to play a sport that they had worked their whole life to excel at and make a living from.

F Mark Emmert, the presidents and staff who came before him, and most importantly, F the ncaa. This is just deserts, folks. Should’ve happened years ago and I’m glad to see the institution go down in flames with no dignity.

It was destined to happen that players would organize. This is a dynamic that has been overlooked. I have no idea what to expect. Among the members of the B1G are states that are "Right to Work" and other where union membership is required. If this is successful the train to minor league football has left the station.

Everyone mad at this should be mad at the ncaa and Mark Emmert. Not the schools, and not the players.

Players asked for a pittance decades ago and were told to go get fucked. Now the ncaa can go get fucked. I love it.

Mark Emmert’s multi million dollar house, his vehicles, retirement accounts, and offspring’s tuition was all paid for 100% by kids who were told if they so much as signed an autograph for $20, or did a local radio ad for $100, or made $0.10 for a YouTube video of nothing to do with sports, that they’d lose their eligibility permanently and never again be able to play a sport that they had worked their whole life to excel at and make a living from.

F Mark Emmert, the presidents and staff who came before him, and most importantly, F the ncaa. This is just deserts, folks. Should’ve happened years ago and I’m glad to see the institution go down in flames with no dignity.
Well, this and Penn State, but yeah.

My devil's advocate to all of this is that yes....I do agree with Fry that the Universities and Coaches have profited plenty off of college sports and their teams. However, these people are professionals (they graduated, or they are working an actual W2 Job).....the players are student athletes....or at least they use to be. Again, I think NIL is further creating divisions of have and have nots. It is also creating more me-me-me talk....and less team talk and goals.

For example, the last time I saw Kris talking on KCRG (and his picture being up on the draft board in error when his brother was at Draft night) he was talking all about his goals of making the NBA. Not once did I hear anything about team goals in that spot. Just about me and my game.

I think you should be either a student or a professional. I kind of like Mike Leech's ideas I read that tried find a compromise for all of this. If I remember right, he said there could be a normal student track with a scholarship (college paid for, your meals, lodging, etc) but you can't take NIL money, the other option is declare yourself a professional and you take NIL money, but you can be cut from the program for any reason.....no scholarship for these track folks...pay your own way.

But, I much rather get rid of NIL all together and you get paid once you are a professional and not a student athlete.

If student athletes do in fact become employees, I do think they should have the right to join a union with collective bargaining.

But, I think the whole thing is ridiculous....when you are playing for a college you are suppose to be a student....and when you are start letting money slip into things some colleges are going to have far more than others (and deeper pocket donors).....that is not good for programs like Iowa that want to break the glass ceiling....and have a hard enough time as it is prior to NIL.

It is the death kneel of amateurism at the college level. The only pure levels left are high school and junior high.

Last edited:
My devil's advocate to all of this is that yes....I do agree with Fry that the Universities and Coaches have profited plenty off of college sports and their teams. However, these people are professionals (they graduated, or they are working an actual W2 Job).....the players are student athletes....or at least they use to be. Again, I think NIL is further creating divisions of have and have nots. It is also creating more me-me-me talk....and less team talk and goals.

For example, the last time I saw Kris talking on KCRG (and his picture being up on the draft board in error when his brother was at Draft night) he was talking all about his goals of making the NBA. Not once did I hear anything about team goals in that spot. Just about me and my game.

I think you should be either a student or a professional. I kind of like Mike Leech's ideas I read that tried find a compromise for all of this. If I remember right, he said there could be a normal student track with a scholarship (college paid for, your meals, lodging, etc) but you can't take NIL money, the other option is declare yourself a professional and you take NIL money, but you can be cut from the program for any reason.....no scholarship for these track folks...pay your own way.

But, I much rather get rid of NIL all together and you get paid once you are a professional and not a student athlete.

If student athletes do in fact become employees, I do think they should have the right to join a union with collective bargaining.

But, I think the whole thing is ridiculous....when you are playing for a college you are suppose to be a student....and when you are start letting money slip into things some colleges are going to have far more than others (and deeper pocket donors).....that is not good for programs like Iowa that want to break the glass ceiling....and have a hard enough time as it is prior to NIL.

It is the death kneel of amateurism at the college level. The only pure levels left are high school and junior high.

Where’s the team talk for coaches and ADs when they leave for more money with zero repercussions? Why are they not greedy? For that matter why are the athletes supposed to be amateurs but the coaches, trainers, ADs, referees, broadcasters etc. etc. etc. are all professionals who get to make money off it.

College football is built on the backs of players who are then told they are greedy and ruining the spirit of amateurism when they want some crumbs off the pie.

If it’s truly supposed to be an amateur sport then quit paying coaches and have the history professor volunteer and do the games untelevised at the local park. If not, it’s not amateur so pay the people who create the value.

I’ve said this before in other posts, but the only motivation for wanting players to remain unpaid for what they do is by you. And by “you,” I mean fans who want kids to perform a service for them (performing at sporting events) for a microscopic fraction (scholarship) of the revenue they generate.

In other words, the only reason you want them to stay amateur is because it makes the sport what you want it to be, and we as fans have absolutely nothing to do with the sport and are not affected by it. See how backwards that is? I’ve asked the question here multiple times for someone to give me a reason that college athletes shouldn’t be allowed to make however much money they want other than for their (fans) individual desire for the good ole days. No one has been able to answer that. You want them to be limited in how much money they can make strictly for your own pleasure. It doesn’t work that way.

And remember this…it isn’t greed by the players. Players have asked for several decades for even a small allowance to make money by signing autographs or any number of different things. They were told to kick rocks. Now the ncaa is being told to kick rocks. Eye for an eye.

Lastly let’s not even pretend that the ncaa is a non-profit looking to defend the sanctity of “amateurism” (which hasn’t existed since the Eisenhower administration). The ncaa doesn’t make billions from TV, video game, and merchandise licensing, and charge hundreds or thousands of dollars per seat for championship and tournament tickets by being “not for profit.”

The ncaa is a bunch of old rich fat cats looking to get fatter on the backs of athletes. Well, they were until now. Which is good.

If it’s truly supposed to be an amateur sport then quit paying coaches and have the history professor volunteer and do the games untelevised at the local park. If not, it’s not amateur so pay the people who create the value.
Spot on. Absolute truth right there.

But, I think the whole thing is ridiculous....when you are playing for a college you are suppose to be a student.....
Goes both ways. If you want it that way then why are schools and the ncaa allowed to profit billions off athletes? You want amateurism only for one side and unabashed profit taking on the other. That’s indentured servitude.

College football is basically a full time job for these guys. They should be getting a piece of the revenue. College football is finally realizing it’s actualized value.

Goes both ways. If you want it that way then why are schools and the ncaa allowed to profit billions off athletes? You want amateurism only for one side and unabashed profit taking on the other. That’s indentured servitude.
Yep, but splitting the pie will probably be a big headache. What should field hockey women receive for example?

Yep, but splitting the pie will probably be a big headache. What should field hockey women receive for example?
In a rational world they wouldn’t receive anything. It’s a non-revenue sport and should be played at the club level. Those are the kind of sports—true amateur club sports—that the ncaa should govern.

Where’s the team talk for coaches and ADs when they leave for more money with zero repercussions? Why are they not greedy? For that matter why are the athletes supposed to be amateurs but the coaches, trainers, ADs, referees, broadcasters etc. etc. etc. are all professionals who get to make money off it.

College football is built on the backs of players who are then told they are greedy and ruining the spirit of amateurism when they want some crumbs off the pie.

The difference is they are professionals. A player would still be free to leave a college just like they always have, but obviously would forfeit their scholarship to the college they are leaving.

I’ve said this before in other posts, but the only motivation for wanting players to remain unpaid for what they do is by you. And by “you,” I mean fans who want kids to perform a service for them (performing at sporting events) for a microscopic fraction (scholarship) of the revenue they generate.

In other words, the only reason you want them to stay amateur is because it makes the sport what you want it to be, and we as fans have absolutely nothing to do with the sport and are not affected by it. See how backwards that is? I’ve asked the question here multiple times for someone to give me a reason that college athletes shouldn’t be allowed to make however much money they want other than for their (fans) individual desire for the good ole days. No one has been able to answer that. You want them to be limited in how much money they can make strictly for your own pleasure. It doesn’t work that way.

And remember this…it isn’t greed by the players. Players have asked for several decades for even a small allowance to make money by signing autographs or any number of different things. They were told to kick rocks. Now the ncaa is being told to kick rocks. Eye for an eye.

Lastly let’s not even pretend that the ncaa is a non-profit looking to defend the sanctity of “amateurism” (which hasn’t existed since the Eisenhower administration). The ncaa doesn’t make billions from TV, video game, and merchandise licensing, and charge hundreds or thousands of dollars per seat for championship and tournament tickets by being “not for profit.”

The ncaa is a bunch of old rich fat cats looking to get fatter on the backs of athletes. Well, they were until now. Which is good.
I think putting money into the college system for pay for players up front legally....ironically....I think is way worse than programs trying to do it (formally) illegally. Again, it creates a system of have and have nots and only makes the Blue Blood programs that much more of a championship monopoly. I argue, it is not good for colleges. Now, there is nothing holding back the degree of what XYZ college can give a player to come to that school....or leave another school for.

That is why Iowa is in a precarious position of more or less having to take up a collection plate to help pay players to come here. It is not just fans themselves (that invest time and money into the program in various ways) that are hurt by NIL.....the non-blue blood colleges themselves as a whole are being hurt by this.

It takes a playing field that was already not level and puts it on uber-steroids. I also think unethically, it blurs (eradicates) the lines between a student and a professional.

In terms of signing autographs and other minor things like that....if that were to be allowed (as it is now).....it needs regulation and reporting guidelines to make if fair for all....it needs limits. But, that would be quite the chore to babysit that and I'm quite sure it would be taken advantage of as well.

It just about money now and the player getting his....to hell with team goals and taking pride in the college you are playing in...by and large. Get as much as you can with your NIL and off to the pros for more money as quick as you can. Capitalism on steroids.

NIL I don't think is good at all (only for the concept of the individual), but it is not going away. So, I think if it is going to be here, it needs regulation....that means a union and collective bargaining. It needs salary caps to balance the playing field. It needs reporting reporting guidelines.

Last edited:
Yep, that is exactly what I want. No one is forcing the players to play either for a college...they are choosing to go there as either as a walk-on or a scholarship player. Now, I would be for more of a non-profit like situation for institutions where the money has to go right back into the programs themselves. But, as crazy as it is the amount of money coaches can make to coach their sport, they are professionals....they are not amateur players. Same with ADs, the President of the College, Professors, etc. They are working professionals. Athletes, prior to NIL, were the student athletes. Students....working towards potentially becoming a professional themselves.

A true indentured servant is working to pay back a certain loan or debt to someone. Not even the case with student athletes. They get a essentially a free education with a scholarship, free meal plans, lodging, tutors, and state and national exposure for their playing time on the field. One should only be so lucky to be in their position.....notwithstanding those who may get verbally and physically abused by coaches...whole different story there.

Last edited:
In terms of signing autographs and other minor things like that....if that were to be allowed (as it is now).....it needs regulation and reporting guidelines to make if fair for all....it needs limits.
Lol, why?

Because it’s up to you to decide a kid should or shouldn’t be able to sign autographs?

You’re projecting your vision of the good ol’ days on a bunch of kids that you don’t know, have nothing to do with, and sports that have no affect to your own life other than you thinking someone shouldn’t make money (arbitrarily).

Yep, that is exactly what I want. No one is forcing the players to play either for a college...
If those players want a chance to play professionally they are absolutely forcing them to play for a college. If you disagree, then take away from the program any player who has potential in basketball or football to play professionally. Is that a team you want to watch? Remember, this whole thing of saying they don’t deserve to be paid is about you…

It just about money now and the player getting his....to hell with team goals and taking pride in the college you are playing in...by and large. Get as much as you can with your NIL and off to the pros for more money as quick as you can. Capitalism on steroids.

So because you—someone who in no way is materially affected by sports or athletes whatsoever—don’t like it, you should have a right to decide an individual can earn money in a free society?

Because a bunch of 40-80 year old affluent white dudes (this is the demographic railing against athletes earning money—take a look around at a game) want the “rah rah, yay college, win one for the gipper days” to hang around for their own nostalgia, college kids you don’t even know should be forced to stay broke in college? Think about what you’re saying, man.

Lol, why?

Because it’s up to you to decide a kid should or shouldn’t be able to sign autographs?

You’re projecting your vision of the good ol’ days on a bunch of kids that you don’t know, have nothing to do with, and sports that have no affect to your own life other than you thinking someone shouldn’t make money (arbitrarily).
I have already explained why....it is bigger than fandom.....non-blue blood colleges are in even more of a have-not position because of this.