4-Star JP Estrella High on Hawkeye Basketball

Didn’t Duke’s historic head coach just retire? That’s gotta help Iowa’s chances. Would be a great get. The kid has seen back to back success stories with Iowa bigs, so there’s that also.

Good read Rob, thanks for posting.

Didn’t Duke’s historic head coach just retire? That’s gotta help Iowa’s chances. Would be a great get. The kid has seen back to back success stories with Iowa bigs, so there’s that also.

Good read Rob, thanks for posting.
Yet they've got commitments from 3 top 20 players in the 2023 class...Duke is still gonna Duke I guess.

*fingers crossed* Estrella would be a big time pick up for Fran and the Hawkeyes. Alongside Freeman, Harding and possibly Pryce Sandfort, that'd be a huge recruiting class for Fran.

Sweet Jesus, Let It Happen

JP has all the tools and would fit in the Hawkeye system extremely well

Damn, the Hawks are rolling

:cool:
Man oh man would it be fun watching Magic Bowen and Butta Brock Harding dishing to JP and Owen in the post.

Yet they've got commitments from 3 top 20 players in the 2023 class...Duke is still gonna Duke I guess.
Yes there will be spill over from what K built, but we all saw how things can go south if things start to crumble like they did for us under Lickliter. What a disaster that period was for Iowa basketball.

Over the years, I've realized how much fit matters in college coaching. KF and FM fit Iowa football and basketball, respectively. Are they the only fits? No. But they fit. Lickliter fit at Butler (with a lot of help) but not at Iowa. Alford didn't fit at Iowa.

How would KF do at Alabama or Ohio State?
How would FM do at Kansas or UNC?
How would Saban do at Iowa or Iowa State?
How would Bruce Pearl do at Iowa?

Sorry to get off topic. My mind wonders during the summer.

When there was scuttle about KF to Michigan 10+ years ago, I thought that would be a good fit for him. Michigan is a bit more patient than a lot of blue bloods. They give a coach support and time. Frankly, I think KF could be successful at a lot of better schools (except for Nebraska, they are beyond help). He develops talent better than anyone. One would assume that more raw talent to start with would lead to a better ending product. Who knows. Tressel did very well at OSU, and he and KF were kindred spirits from a philosophy perspective.

I don't think Fran would do well at a Blue Blood. He is a great identifier of talent, but an average bench coach. At Kansas and Duke, talent falls into your lap. You have to coach it. Iowa is a perfect place for Fran.

I don't think Fran would do well at a Blue Blood. He is a great identifier of talent, but an average bench coach. At Kansas and Duke, talent falls into your lap. You have to coach it. Iowa is a perfect place for Fran.
If Fran had an 8 man rotation of McDonald's AAs, his teams could average over a 100 a game. They be ranked top 10 all season and win a lot of games with NBA scores.

If Fran had an 8 man rotation of McDonald's AAs, his teams could average over a 100 a game. They be ranked top 10 all season and win a lot of games with NBA scores.
Totally agree... Imagine Fran coaching that Kentucky group from a few yrs ago with Tyler Ulis. Fran with top talent and a deep roster would be curtains for the rest of college hoops. The problem is Fran is way too much of a straight shooter. It takes the right type of kid to play for him too and Fran is self-aware of that and recruits accordingly. Not many of the 1 and done types would gel with him I bet. But it'd be interesting to see

He looks like a new school stretch 5 type and not so much of an inside banger. Has a very smooth shot looks like a great FT shooter. Even more than that it sounds like we have a snowballs chance at getting him. Hope his visit goes well he'd be difference making to say the least

I get your point, but don't you think you could coach 8 McDonald's All-Americans to a 20 win season? Fran would do well with a super squad, but so would just about all coaches. What separates coaches life Self and Calipari and Izzo and Coach K is that they are really good bench coaches (in addition to being dirty recruiters and cheaters).

He looks like a new school stretch 5 type and not so much of an inside banger. Has a very smooth shot looks like a great FT shooter. Even more than that it sounds like we have a snowballs chance at getting him. Hope his visit goes well he'd be difference making to say the least
I would give us more than a snowball based upon that article. He has some great offers, but he knows floor time will be much harder to achieve at Duke given the guys they already have committed. At Iowa, he can see a clearer path to early PT/starting, and he sees very recent and great success getting guys drafted. There is a strong argument for Iowa for this kid.

I would give us more than a snowball based upon that article. He has some great offers, but he knows floor time will be much harder to achieve at Duke given the guys they already have committed. At Iowa, he can see a clearer path to early PT/starting, and he sees very recent and great success getting guys drafted. There is a strong argument for Iowa for this kid.
You would think going forward that IA should have their pick of that next tier C/PF group of HS Recruits given the success of Garza and Keegan.

JP canceled his Duke visit and it is said they are out of the running.

The Eye on College Basketball podcast were talking about recruits and he was one they discussed. Said Fran was at all his games in Chicago. Seems to be blowing up. They also said Iowa is in on another rising recruit from the northeast TJ Power.