Iowa ranks #1 in traditions

So how many years does something need to be viable in order to be considered a tradition??

A "tradition" is something that's passed down from generation to generation...so I'd say at least one generation... 25-30 years.
There's no such thing as a "new tradition". That's an oxymoron.

Last edited:
Anyone know if the Iowa band still goes bar hopping on the night before home games?

THAT was a tradition. They would visit maybe 8-10 bars, play the fight songs, lewd versions of other school's fight songs (Hail to your fournicators, etc. is a classic and a half). And, of course, get a free draw in a plastic cup when they were done.

It wasn't just downtown bars. They always hit a couple of the dives on the edge of the campus near the Hamburg Inn amd Pagliai's Pizza like Tuck's and Magoo's. When they walked that narrow passage between Van Allen and Seashore halls to get to Linn Street the acoustics were fucking amazing.
I can tell you the Wisconsin marching band plays in bars up and down Monroe street on game days. Cool deal. They even played the Iowa fight song for us upon request :)

Last edited:
Anyone know if the Iowa band still goes bar hopping on the night before home games?

THAT was a tradition. They would visit maybe 8-10 bars, play the fight songs, lewd versions of other school's fight songs (Hail to your fournicators, etc. is a classic and a half). And, of course, get a free draw in a plastic cup when they were done.

It wasn't just downtown bars. They always hit a couple of the dives on the edge of the campus near the Hamburg Inn amd Pagliai's Pizza like Tuck's and Magoo's. When they walked that narrow passage between Van Allen and Seashore halls to get to Linn Street the acoustics were fucking amazing.
From personal experience...I can tell you this was a sh** ton-o-fun.

I can tell you the Wisconsin marching band plays in bars up and down Monroe street. Cool deal. They even played the Iowa fight song for us upon request :)
We were in Lucky's last year for the Iowa Wisconsin "game" when the band came in. Then we went to Buckingham's where I got throttled worse than Iowa did.

In addition to the normal debauchery (which started in a rented van with a designated driver around six am) I promised to do a shot each time e Wisconsin scored a touchdown.

When IKM fumbled in his own end zone I knew I was royally screwed.

We were in Lucky's last year for the Iowa Wisconsin "game" when the band came in. Then we went to Buckingham's where I got throttled worse than Iowa did.

In addition to the normal debauchery (which started in a rented van with a designated driver around six am) I promised to do a shot each time e Wisconsin scored a touchdown.

When IKM fumbled in his own end zone I knew I was royally screwed.
Can't hold your liquor anymore eh? :)

I got blotto'd in Lucky's before that glorious 10/3/2015 game Iowa won 10-6 when Staube tripped and fumbled on the five yard line.

Lucky's was serving something like $2 16Oz. Grain Belt cans. Belch!

Illinois has/has had some terrific traditions. Not sure they can ever get the football fanbase back and not sure people care about BB as much as one might think. BU just doesn't connect. Weber and the other guy I've already forgotten connected more. Think what one might about LouDoo, but they loved him. Then again MSU loved Heathcote who reminded me of "I am in control" Alexander Haig.

About the WAVE, I've mentioned it before. Children's is largely empty on Saturday (though there are some). Really sick kids can't get to the box, though there are rooms.

I took my daughter down during the week in a wheelchair. She was excited to go and see the stadium from the main observation place. She couldn't get up to the window because a group of boosters was there and they were concerned about selfies and photos and she didn't get to see the stadium. That's why I took the pic that is my avatar/icon. We did get her down on our way out several days later. When she was Peoria Children's for a very serious situation for 2 weeks, she had a room overlooking downtown Peoria and the river which was much more spectacular. So I'm jaded.

There are some traditions that are incredibly good that are never mentioned.

The Minnesota band plays the Battle Hymn of the Republic while doing the "swinging gate" maneuver down the field. It is an old, wonderful tradition honoring Minnesota's civil war dead. It is solemn, majestic, and impressive. I tear up every time I see it.

I've had the opportunity to visit every B1G FB stadium for a game except Nebby. My top personal observations as follows:

Purdue's drum
The PSU White Out
Iowa's Back n Black/Enter Sandman entrance
Iowa's Kinnick speech
Iowa's pink locker room
Iowa's swarm
Illinois students do fun things with the block cards
scUM fans bang on cowbells with drum sticks
Sparty's "go white, go green" chants

Can't hold your liquor anymore eh? :)

I got blotto'd in Lucky's before that glorious 10/3/2015 game Iowa won 10-6 when Staube tripped and fumbled on the five yard line.

Lucky's was serving something like $2 16Oz. Grain Belt cans. Belch!
I also had connections to the Truck Country tailgate party out back of Lucky's thanks to our Shullsburg friend.

Free beer, burgers and brats out back. Total anarchy inside Lucky's. I had to physically help someone walk from Lucky's to Buckingham's at 10:30 in the morning.

We're doing it again this year for a home Badger game, then coming to Iowa City on November 12. Some of my Badger friends have never been to Kinnick.

I could go or stay downtown. Might be more fun to stay downtown. We're already coming down for Iowa State the weekend of my birthday.

As for $2 Grain Belts I would be in deep trouble. More like barf than belch!

Last edited:
Illinois has/has had some terrific traditions. Not sure they can ever get the football fanbase back and not sure people care about BB as much as one might think. BU just doesn't connect. Weber and the other guy I've already forgotten connected more. Think what one might about LouDoo, but they loved him. Then again MSU loved Heathcote who reminded me of "I am in control" Alexander Haig.

About the WAVE, I've mentioned it before. Children's is largely empty on Saturday (though there are some). Really sick kids can't get to the box, though there are rooms.

I took my daughter down during the week in a wheelchair. She was excited to go and see the stadium from the main observation place. She couldn't get up to the window because a group of boosters was there and they were concerned about selfies and photos and she didn't get to see the stadium. That's why I took the pic that is my avatar/icon. We did get her down on our way out several days later. When she was Peoria Children's for a very serious situation for 2 weeks, she had a room overlooking downtown Peoria and the river which was much more spectacular. So I'm jaded.
That drive down into downtown Peoria on Business I-74 is spectacular, especially at dusk and especially down the long hill from the north.

Their downtown reminds me a bit of Cedar Rapids only Peoria's ADM plant is on the west edge of downtown and not out in the boonies.

A truly spectacular view is coming into downtown Minneapolis on I-35 West at dusk on a summer evening with the twilight reflecting off the skyscrapers.

That drive down into downtown Peoria on Business I-74 is spectacular, especially at dusk and especially down the long hill from the north.

Their downtown reminds me a bit of Cedar Rapids only Peoria's ADM plant is on the west edge of downtown and not out in the boonies.

A truly spectacular view is coming into downtown Minneapolis on I-35 West at dusk on a summer evening with the twilight reflecting off the skyscrapers.
Agree on all accounts. Also some cool views from Council Bluffs looking at Omaha towards dusk. The view in Peoria if you don't know it's there is really surprising. Peoria is kind of like Des Moines in positively reinventing itself ... with Peoria after losing some of CAT.

My son is an Illinois fan because that is where he was born. I showed him Illiniwek and he decided he wanted to rock the chief on his batting helmet in baseball this year. His whole team had Giants decals and here he was taking hacks with Illiniwek on his lid. And he used The War Chant as his walk up song. People were asking if it was an old Braves song or if it was the FSU song and the southerners didn't even know that Illinois used to use it.

I would prefer if he cheered for Iowa, Northwestern or Bama like his old man, but he is die hard Illini. I actually respect him for it. There are no Illinois fans around here and he's loyal to where he was born. I tried to convince him to at least cheer for Northwestern because he was born at the hospital right by Dyche Stadium, but he is insistent he is an Illini guy. I'm not a Bill Cosby level expert on parenting or anything, but I suspect that if I tried to force him to be an Iowa fan it would cost me thousands of dollars in counseling in the future. He's going to school in Japan this summer to get his language skills up and my wife said they ditched the uniform concept due to supply chain problems so he wears his Illinois shirt to school every third day.

If he goes to Illinois and somehow manages to get Illiniwek and the war chant back I won't consider his fandom a lost cause. I believe the children are our future...

Another gem!

My son is an Illinois fan because that is where he was born. I showed him Illiniwek and he decided he wanted to rock the chief on his batting helmet in baseball this year. His whole team had Giants decals and here he was taking hacks with Illiniwek on his lid. And he used The War Chant as his walk up song. People were asking if it was an old Braves song or if it was the FSU song and the southerners didn't even know that Illinois used to use it.

I would prefer if he cheered for Iowa, Northwestern or Bama like his old man, but he is die hard Illini. I actually respect him for it. There are no Illinois fans around here and he's loyal to where he was born. I tried to convince him to at least cheer for Northwestern because he was born at the hospital right by Dyche Stadium, but he is insistent he is an Illini guy. I'm not a Bill Cosby level expert on parenting or anything, but I suspect that if I tried to force him to be an Iowa fan it would cost me thousands of dollars in counseling in the future. He's going to school in Japan this summer to get his language skills up and my wife said they ditched the uniform concept due to supply chain problems so he wears his Illinois shirt to school every third day.

If he goes to Illinois and somehow manages to get Illiniwek and the war chant back I won't consider his fandom a lost cause. I believe the children are our future...
My black and gold bloodline ends with 3 Illinois grads. One did go to law school at Iowa so there is some redemption.