Barta and his big mouth..

Hawkfnntn

He is wanting to try curbing what players get in NIL by going back on the 1 time transfer rule without having to sit out to be able to play right away....

If you want to do away with the transfer rule again then ok fine whatever. But don't say it's due to NIL... Just don't. I really don't want Iowa to be one of those schools that doesn't embrace NIL. But here we are. That will slow Iowa down way more then anything else could. If you think KF & BFs offensive philosophy will deter good recruits from coming just wait till recruits hear that the AD wants to limit how much they can make in NIL $. Good grief

You’re not wrong. Horrible look. I’ve been on Gary’s side throughout a lot of his career when most weren’t. That said, time to go dude, this is horrible for Iowa. Stick a fork in us on the trail.

I mean, even if that’s what ya think and imo it’s not a horrible thing and probably would help…. Ya just can’t say that. You’re trying to attract athletes to your school, continue to advocate for their rights not try to limit their opportunities. His line of thinking is in the past and that’s not what Iowa needs moving forward. This quote which has turned into a headline is just an awful look for Iowa athletics

I mean, even if that’s what ya think and imo it’s not a horrible thing and probably would help…. Ya just can’t say that. You’re trying to attract athletes to your school, continue to advocate for their rights not try to limit their opportunities. His line of thinking is in the past and that’s not what Iowa needs moving forward. This quote which has turned into a headline is just an awful look for Iowa athletics
The worst part is it’s not just a quote. He’s “pursuing” it.

Whether he’d get anywhere or not is pretty irrelevant, he’s gone beyond stating his opinion in the eyes of anyone who’d matter.

This is Hunter Rawlings on steroids. If you don't think our recruiting competition is going to have a field day with this you're crazy.
This is going to be BAD.

Where are you Farta fans at now? Don’t force me to start going back and quoting your unabashed support for this guy—denounce this snaggle-toothed douche rocket once and for all.

I’ve shown a lot of support for Gary, cause besides the PR blunders, Iowa has been successful in athletics. There’s a reason he doesn’t lose his job, because he’s been above average at it when you see how successful Iowa is. That said, call a spade a spade, with his previous blunders and this clear cluelessness is a fireable offense and it’s clear that Iowa needs a more froward thinking person in that role.

Last edited:
Not to mention that like 80-90% of college athletes won’t get any NIL moneys, but sure Gary, let’s restrict all of them.

I remember watching an interview with Barta on ESPN a few years back, when he gave some comments on the playoff selection committee and how they were approaching the process. I was with a group of friends that included a Gopher, a Badger, and a Northwestern alum. I swear Barta said "Irregardless..." about 4 times during a 3 minute TV interview. My buddies were all like "who the F is this guy?!". For me, that moment sums up my view on Gary B

Bingo... After all that's been said and written and done so far in regards to NIL how he can't read the room on it is beyond me... And it's not like he's going to be around 20 more years I would think he'd be planning on retiring sooner or later. I just can't even remotely comprehend why he'd go down this rabbit hole. He just made KF & Frans along with all the other programs jobs a hell of a lot tougher.

I think these ADs talk amongst themselves and they decide what they want. And then they say, "OK who's going to float this to the public?" and then they all looked at Gary
This makes more sense than what he did at face value anyway. It's embarrassing and I wish he would get heat from not just the media and social media mob over it but how about all the coaches under him. And hell other ADs around the country.

It'd be interesting to know if more ADs are on Bartas side of the fence on it but just smart enough to not push their 2 cents on it?

Bingo... After all that's been said and written and done so far in regards to NIL how he can't read the room on it is beyond me... And it's not like he's going to be around 20 more years I would think he'd be planning on retiring sooner or later. I just can't even remotely comprehend why he'd go down this rabbit hole. He just made KF & Frans along with all the other programs jobs a hell of a lot tougher.
read the room? There is supposedly an official group looking into amending and roping in Nil and maybe some portal changes. barta knows there is this group so he should just stay out of it until that group issues a statement of findings or possible changes. Duh

read the room? There is supposedly an official group looking into amending and roping in Nil and maybe some portal changes. barta knows there is this group so he should just stay out of it until that group issues a statement of findings or possible changes. Duh
Yes read the room. The overwhelming opinion on it from the players and that pesky supreme court is that the way that the NCAA and college athletics had been restricting student athletes all these years from having control of their NIL was unconstitutional. That's the end all be all point to it. The NCAA isn't to have any control over regulating or limiting what individuals can make from 3rd parties. Period end of debate. For an AD not just him but any of them to publicly put out there they want to regulate/limit NIL for players to any extent is a terrible side of the table to be on now.

Sure the NCAA can change the transfer eligibility rules again if they want. It would have a domino effect to an extent on NIL. Because with it like it is now after one year you can see what happened with the QB Ewers that went to OSU for one yr redshirted and now went to Texas. He pretty much is cashing it big time and hasn't played a snap yet. Schools aren't a fan of it but to me it's a tough shit so what situation. Get used to it and recruit accordingly. It's not the schools $ being wasted if the kid ends up being a bust. I get it coaches will hate everything about this because it adds a layer of uncertainty to their rosters year to year and it's more work for them to recruit non stop not just new recruits but everyone on their rosters. To that I say tough shit they are paid millions of bucks figure it out.

The issue here is Bartas reason to want to do it. He saying he wants to so they can limit/regulate NIL for the players and that is what'll get him in trouble. Those schools that are embracing NIL will all point at us and say don't go there they are anti capitalist and don't want you making what you can get. KF has dodged the whole Chris Doyle racial thing. That hasn't affected recruiting or winning as of yet but this sort of thing sure as hell could...

I'm sure Barta is simply regurgitating the talking points that were discussed among the NCAA powerbrokers at that recent meeting - which gives us a nice little view into the overall mindset.

I sense these guys are having a bit of an issue giving up their power. It's been a good run for many years among those in power in athletic departments and the NCAA.

Men who are clearly innovative, progressive, pro-active, nimble, clever.

And being the individual willing to publicly state these talking points, clearly Barta is the best and brightest among this elite group.