Good QBs galore in portal

We have the 10th rated QB in the B10, backup #3 already gone and #2 very possibly gone, and you are resistant to bringing in someone new because things could get worse?
Yes. Absolutely.

You've responded to none of my points in my post. If those things happened it would definitely be worse.

“We can’t change because, well, change! It could get worse!”
You say "could" get worse as if it was an uncertainty.

The chances it would actually work out, AND not hurt recruiting are almost nil.

You're completely overestimating Iowa's appeal to good quarterbacks. Give us some reasons why a really good, definite game changer QB would want to come here from the portal...

Because you're making some pretty broad assumptions that it would work better than what we have. And then what do you do if it doesn't work and we have a depleted QB room because of transfer?

At that point we'd be in a WAY worse position than we were in. The chances of that happening are pretty high, so yes, it would be pretty fucking stupid to gamble with that kind of thing. You guys hate where we're at as a team, but you'd really fucking hate it if we turned into NW or nebraska or Illinois. But you don't think about that.

Also, if you're so dead set on a transfer QB, show us the one who you're pretty sure will be a definite, major improvement over Petras/Padilla/Labas, and who you know would come to Iowa. The portal is public info...which on are you looking at? Because if you don't know, it's nothing more than a 50/50 gamble at best. That's what made nebraska nebraska.

Schools are bringing in transfer QBs all over the country. From the blue bloods to the average P5 schools. So they are all doing it wrong and Iowa has the golden tickets in their QB room…Petras has been the starter for 2 years (yes 1 was only 8 games) Both years his stats have been toward the bottom. He has been horrid. Padilla can’t beat him out so how good is he. Iowa's QB development is bad. Yet you think a QB whisperer will sprinkle manic dust on these 2 and take Iowa to the promise land? You need to share what you are smokin…
Give us a list of the average P5 schools who've brought in transfer QBs and what their success/improvement rate has been.

If you can't, it's just conjecture.

Seems like conjecture flows both ways. The odds of a transfer coming in and winning the job and being super awesome are low. But the odds that it completely blows up the room are equally low.

If this coaching staff can't look Petras/Padilla in the eye and say, "Look, we all agree that the offense did not perform even close to what we need it to perform. That is not all on the QB room, but we need our QB play to improve if we are going to take this to the next level. We have a kid from ____ that is transferring in. He will have to compete for the job just like you two, Joey, and anyone else on this team. You two will be going into Spring as the co number 1s, but the other two guys are going to get a fair chance to compete for this job. Competition will elevate everyone. The best QB will win and that is what is best for the team."

Is it likely Padilla transfers? Probably. But, I bet he transfers when Petras wins the job anyway.

Every team brings in a new QB in its recruiting class every year. I don't see why a transfer QB (unless its a stud you would just hand the job to) is any different. Spencer has to go out and keep/win his job. If he thinks anyone else beyond a Division II school is going to give him more of a guaranty than that, he hasn't watched his own tape.

QB play has got to improve. Competition breeds improvement.

I am not saying I would definitely go get another QB, but I would not shy away from it if the right opportunity/guy were available.

“We can’t change because, well, change! It could get worse!”
That wasn't my point at all. My concern was from all accounts there seems to be a good feeling about Labas and Carson May so is it worth the risk of going to the portal if it means potentially losing one or both?

And I'm not sure it's your "Midwest stubborness" opposing the use of the portal at QB. As I said if the right player was out there I could be in favor of it. The back side of the midwest stubborness side is the those with the Hawkeye blinders on saying we have an system in place offensively that would bring in a high profile QB off the portal that is desirable and thrilled at the opportunity to play under the tutelage of BF.

I'm 100% about change, but history has proven that we can talk about change all we want, but offensively there's been very little change. In my opinion changing QB's, or what it does/doesn't do internally will bring about change, but IMO in the grand scheme of things that change would have more to do with changes in the roster and the depth chart then it would on the field when he'd still have KF's philosophy's and BF calling the plays.

Well this goes back aways now BF has been there 5 yrs. And further than that when you factor in the KOK being involved with it. Padilla isn't the only qb that's admitted to the difficulty of it.

In todays college football there shouldn't be a year plus long learning curve to running the O. Have one where it can be learned in an off season such as if you come in early in Jan as a true freshman by the time spring ball and summer camp is over they should have it dowon. If that isn't the realistic expectation of then it's too much.
We apparently have a very complex/difficult offense to implement.
The resulting offense is consistently one of the worst offenses in the FBS.

Seems unnecessarily overcomplicated.
We could be 120th in TO running a Pee Wee league scheme..

Last edited:
Our QB talent is slightly below where it needs to be. *Slightly, not dramatically lower. At his best, Petras can be a good player. And we saw some really good flashes from Padilla, you can tell he's a gamer. And we've heard good things about deeper backups, excited for Labas and we all knew about Hogan's talent... But the collective talent level seems to be slightly below where it needs to be. In my gut, it feels like our quarterback talent can win us 8-10 games, paired with a really good D and ST.

But we were quite lucky to win the West this year and make it to Indy. And we saw what happened in the conference title game, when we didn't play well. If we really want to challenge for the Big10, I think we need better quarterback talent. For example, we need a player like Petras.. but with 10% more athleticism. Or if Padilla were bigger and had a stronger arm, I think he'd be amazing (who knows, he still might be).

The other side of this is our coaching: B Ferentz, Ken O'Keefe, Kirk. And this is a much tougher conversation, because we can theoretically fix our QB talent overnight, but the systemic issues are a tougher fix. Look at Wisconsin's struggles at QB. They are clearly an even more dramatic example of a program on the cusp of greatness... if only they had an elite quarterback. And the one year they had Russell Wilson, they were one of the best teams in the country. Today, they have been incredibly hyped for their young star... and he's been fairly mediocre.

I always think of this Wisconsin comparison because it proves to me that it's not just a talent issue. Both Iowa and Wisconsin have talent at QB, but we have major structural issues that limit our success at the position. Jack Coan was pretty good, but really frustrating at Wisconsin. He transfers to a high powered offense at Notre Dame and looked legitimately looked like a Heisman contender. Some schools produce a quarterback every single year with amazing stats, because they have the system that allows QBs to light it up. Iowa doesn't.

...and we all knew about Hogan's talent.
That's the thing...no we didn't. No one had a clue other than Iowa coaches who've seen him in practice the other day.

All we saw was a little bit of high school film p[laying against 99.9% players who wouldn't make college ball, let alone D-1.

Same as Petras. He knocked Goff's records off, but we have seen with our own eyes that it doesn't translate to the next level necessarily.

That's the thing...no we didn't. No one had a clue other than Iowa coaches who've seen him in practice the other day.

All we saw was a little bit of high school film p[laying against 99.9% players who wouldn't make college ball, let alone D-1.

Same as Petras. He knocked Goff's records off, but we have seen with our own eyes that it doesn't translate to the next level necessarily.

We disagree on the definition of talent. For me, talent = potential. That's the potential that Iowa, Georgia, Baylor, Okie St, etc. all saw in him when they offered him in HS.

I'm certainly not saying he had the goods ready to contribute at Iowa. According to Kirk, he wasn't

Latest posts