Padilla is not transfering

Hawkfnntn

Per Leistikow he's spoke to his dad and nothings changed about his status. He's a Hawkeye and going to compete for the starting gig next yr.

At this point it's a no brainer. The transfer portal is full of QBs specifically and the game of musical chairs is a muddy mess. No matter where he'd go he'd be in the same situation he is here pretty much. Timing will become as important for these guys to hit the portal as anything now. I have a feeling that is as much why Hogan had to walk on at UK as anything.

For those of us a certain age, a loaded QB room is not a new thing. Recall that Dan McGwire, brother of MLB superstar Mark McGwire, played at Iowa before transferring to San Diego State and being drafted into the National Football League. The issue is there is just one ball and our back to back legendary coaches have landed an embarrassment of QB riches. Hell, I'm old enough to remember when we shipped out a QB who would have been a backup on Iowa and he wound up as the starter for freaking Michigan and got drafted into the National Football League.

People act like our QBs just totally suck but I honestly don't think that is the case. The QB coach and OC have done fine, but unless we have a steady five across o-line the offense is gonna look like shit. Sorry.

I don't see how a QB from one of the worst offenses in the Big Ten could get much interest in the transfer portal. Maybe to a FCS school or D2. Heck Hogan didn't even get a scholarship.
That's a good point. Hogan didn't have the baggage that of Padilla's actual stats and couldn't get a bite.

I don't see how a QB from one of the worst offenses in the Big Ten could get much interest in the transfer portal. Maybe to a FCS school or D2. Heck Hogan didn't even get a scholarship.
How is the player to blame for the actions of the coaches? "Looking for a better fit" is practically the definition of why a guy transfers.

Hogan could be really good. He could stink. You never know. I wouldn't read too much into having to walk on. These coaches are swinging for the fences with the freshmen hoping they have the next superstar and they think there is a better chance in that pool than in the "I was third string at Iowa" pool. It's probably not an illogical conclusion by the "market."

How is the player to blame for the actions of the coaches? "Looking for a better fit" is practically the definition of why a guy transfers.

That's how the transfer portal works, it's not fair but there is no way in hell either Petras or Padilla would generate much interest if they entered the portal, at least not from a P5 school.

This all but confirms Daddy and Jr did not even consider the transfer portal for a better QB. So we are stuck with subpar QB play for another year at least. Tactically stupid.

This all but confirms Daddy and Jr did not even consider the transfer portal for a better QB. So we are stuck with subpar QB play for another year at least. Tactically stupid.
Why would Iowa go to the portal if you don't have a QB leaving? That wouldn't make sense. If everyone stays, no way is someone going to come in the spring and beat out guys who've been in the system multiple years, which will be the case for all 3 on Iowa's current roster. Further more, why would Iowa be an attractive destination to a transfer QB to come to Iowa?

1. the offense it runs
2. 3 scholarship QB's on the roster and only one is a SR. next season

Iowa isn't going to purposely show one of these guys the door with all the investment they've already put into them.

The portal makes 0 sense from almost every angle so I am not sure what you are expecting unless you just wanted to say things like "Daddy and Jr." to be funny. Cause I did laugh at that. I know when people type that shit 100% of the next words behind it is absolute trash.

Last edited:
Why would Iowa go to the portal if you don't have a QB leaving? That wouldn't make sense. If everyone stays, no way is someone going to come in the spring and beat out guys who've been in the system multiple years, which will be the case for all 3 on Iowa's current roster. Further more, why would Iowa be an attractive destination to a transfer QB to come to Iowa?

1. the offense it runs
2. 3 scholarship QB's on the roster and only one is a SR. next season

Iowa isn't going to purposely show one of these guys the door with all the investment they've already put into them.

The portal makes 0 sense from almost every angle so I am not sure what you are expecting unless you just wanted to say things like "Daddy and Jr." to be funny. Cause I did laugh at that. I know when people type that shit 100% of the next words behind it is absolute trash.
Why Iowa should go to the portal? To get more talented players at that position that we desperately need. If Iowa's goal is to win the Big Ten and make the playoffs, they should not worry about hurting feelings here. I think the QB play is that bad....not saying things to necessarily be funny (although Daddy and Jr has a funny ring to it, I agree).

But, unfortunately you are right in the sense that even if Kirk brought in the next coming of Chuck Long or Brad Banks....that player could not play because it takes "2 years to learn this offense." So, I guess with that and everything else about how things are run on the offensive side of the ball (which in the coach's minds is likely the right way to play and because they are having good success they don't see the offense is as big of problem as everyone else outside of Fort Kinnick does) a talented offensive recruit may see Iowa as toxic mold on offense.

The disappointing thing is our coaches will not even try (as far as we know) to upgrade the position. Because, again, in there minds things are fine and daddy and they don't need a different style of player coming in here (no matter how good they are) that is incompatible with their style of play......and it takes so long to learn this offense that they might as well stick with Petras and Padilla that they know are both fully capable of running the style of offense they are happy with.

We can't have great things because the powers that be see things through a different prism. A 10-4 season is a good season, especially for Iowa, but that can be a chain and shackle of the likes that Jacob Marley carries around that holds Iowa back. The fans must be fools, look at our 10 wins and West Title. How dare they question our QB play?

Last edited:
Look at the facts. Padilla and Petras were both at least 4* QB’s coming to Iowa, as was Hogan. I don’t know about Labas. So Iowa has successfully signed what appeared to be very good QB’s. How those guys have worked out is a mystery, unless you blame coaches for their weakness, or, like 4* & 5* QB’s around the country, the ratings were wrong. Then a kid from Solon, Iowa QB’s North Dakota St. to yet another national championship. And I think he is a sophomore. So, have fun signing one via the portal so we can celebrate a savior. We better accept the fact that one of three guys will be our QB next season. Then, we really hope they can eliminate some weaknesses and help to improve our offense.
Finally, anyone who thinks KF and BF are not feeling significant heat to improve the QB position next year and down the road is naive as hell. Will they be successful in their improvement efforts? Crap shoot.

Why Iowa should go to the portal? To get more talented players at that position that we desperately need. If Iowa's goal is to win the Big Ten and make the playoffs, they should not worry about hurting feelings here. I think the QB play is that bad....not saying things to necessarily be funny (although Daddy and Jr has a funny ring to it, I agree).

But, unfortunately you are right in the sense that even if Kirk brought in the next coming of Chuck Long or Brad Banks....that player could not play because it takes "2 years to learn this offense." So, I guess with that and everything else about how things are run on the offensive side of the ball (which in the coach's minds is likely the right way to play and because they are having good success they don't see the offense is as big of problem as everyone else outside of Fort Kinnick does) a talented offensive recruit may see Iowa as toxic mold on offense.

The disappointing thing is our coaches will not even try (as far as we know) to upgrade the position. Because, again, in there minds things are fine and daddy and they don't need a different style of player coming in here (no matter how good they are) that is incompatible with their style of play......and it takes so long to learn this offense that they might as well stick with Petras and Padilla that they know are both fully capable of running the style of offense they are happy with.

We can't have great things because the powers that be see things through a different prism. A 10-4 season is a good season, especially for Iowa, but that can be a chain and shackle of the likes that Jacob Marley carries around that holds Iowa back. The fans must be fools, look at our 10 wins and West Title. How dare they question our QB play?
I question our QB play, of course I do. It’s gotta be fixed. They are going to let them all duke it out. I like Padilla, and by all accounts Labas has flashed in practice. I think the o and d line will be a year progressed and we return a shit ton on both sides. Who’s out there that’s coming to Iowa that you want Iowa to get anyways? How many success stories of great seasons (better than 10-4) you got of QB’s who’ve transferred and the very next year won at a high level? Is that really happening anywhere? Iowa’s window is now. There aren’t too many programs in America where a newcomer can come in and supplant tenured QB, that’s not just an Iowa thing.
When you call our hall of fame coach daddy, you immediately show your biases and I can’t even begin to take you serious for a fucking second.

I question our QB play, of course I do. It’s gotta be fixed. They are going to let them all duke it out. I like Padilla, and by all accounts Labas has flashed in practice. I think the o and d line will be a year progressed and we return a shit ton on both sides. Who’s out there that’s coming to Iowa that you want Iowa to get anyways? How many success stories of great seasons (better than 10-4) you got of QB’s who’ve transferred and the very next year won at a high level? Is that really happening anywhere? Iowa’s window is now. There aren’t too many programs in America where a newcomer can come in and supplant tenured QB, that’s not just an Iowa thing.
When you call our hall of fame coach daddy, you immediately show your biases and I can’t even begin to take you serious for a fucking second.
Fair enough....in terms of historical perspective, I value Coach Kirk Ferentz far, far more than Jr. So, sorry to rough feathers there. But, the guy above Jr is Kirk...who is his dad. ;)

I would have loved Caleb Williams, but he is probably heading to USC. The voice of college football podcast on Iowa football had a number of interesting names, but so much time has gone by a lot of them have committed.

I liked some things out of Padilla. He seems more decisive compared to Petras and it a little bit more mobile. But, I still think he lacks the overall arm strength and talent for what we really need back there. That said, I think 100% he should have played in the 2nd half of the Citrus Bowl.

As far as coming in and bumping out the starting QB at Iowa, as I basically said, the next coming of Brad Banks could come into Iowa and they would not bump Petras....not because they are not more talented....but because Petras has the 2 years of offense down and runs a style of play Kirk is comfortable with.

But, getting a more talented portal QB might have been enough for Petras and or Padilla to start looking elsewhere and not take any chances with more talent in the room. At least got them thinking about it. Even if they did not go, they would be an injury or 10s of 1000s of Kinnick Boo Birds (and legions of angry social media types) away from putting their shiny new toy into the game from the portal.

Petras and Padilla have themselves a very tough schedule staring down at them. If they can get 10 wins again with that schedule (with the same type of bum offense) we really should be doing back-flips.

I wish I could tell you that Kirk fought the good fight and went into the transfer portal looking for more talent at QB and the offense got immediately better. I wish I could tell you that- but Iowa Offensive Football recruiting is no fairy-tale world.

Last edited:
Only blue bloods. The Hurts to Oklahoma transfer springs to mind. I’m sure there’s others I’m not remembering, but to places like Iowa, no, not really.

I honestly think the caliber of guy who would have to have interest in Iowa at QB would have to be off the charts for Kurt and Co. to entertain it. We're talking Justin Fields level of talent.

The practice time is limited and Kurt & Co. don't roll guys out into the offense when they are fresh into the program. It just doesn't happen. Banks was a juco and he sat a year. Chandler sat a year. Tate sat a year. I think Christensen was forced into some starts as a freshman and he ended up being a disaster. It just doesn't happen. They want the QB to take care of the ball first and foremost and they want a guy to have a ton of time in the system before they hand over the keys. The guy has won 10 games two of the past three years and had a "10-win" looking team in 2020. It's pretty damned hard to second guess the process given Iowa's MASSIVE disadvantages and fairly low recruiting rankings.

Only blue bloods. The Hurts to Oklahoma transfer springs to mind. I’m sure there’s others I’m not remembering, but to places like Iowa, no, not really.
Agree. Spencer Rattler going to South Carolina jumps out at me, we'll see how that works out. But in that situation, their QB room was next to empty. Last season they had to pull a Grad Assistant coach off the bench to come in a play the position. That is when you go to the transfer portal.