Good QBs galore in portal

Ken, Brian and Kirk.... its not that they done nothin, its that they done it better than everyone else. (pause and reread)

Iowa can't point to any QBs who had careers in the NFL, much less started a few games. Very lackluster. So why would any decent QB decide to go to Iowa?

When will tradition bound Kirk step back and smell his own breath?

Like I’ve said before, you hate me cause you ain’t me and you’re mad that I make you look like you don’t know what you’re talking about.
Dont hate just laugh at you always being wrong. And i dont ever wanna be anywhere close to you. Yes because you have made me look like i dont know what im talking about so often. And you wonder why i laugh at you.

There’s zero chance our QB room stays if a transfer is brought in. Those guys would all three be gone. Tyler Barnes has alluded to the same thing when he’s been asked about the portal.

If you put out the message that you’re willing to bring in transfer QBs, that’s going to have a negative impact on recruiting and you will suffer for it. If you can’t see that, well I don’t know what to say.

Again, before last year players had to forgo a year of eligibility if they wanted to transfer. Now it’s the Wild West and they can go wherever they want whenever they want. You're completely ignoring that.

If Iowa was a blue blood like Michigan or Ohio State it’d be fine. There would be good QBs beating the door down to get a chance. But we aren’t. The best we can scrape together is Petras and Padilla (I’m sure very nice guys and high character individuals) who aren’t very good B1G quarterbacks to begin with. What kinds of QBs do you think we’ll get to sign if it we put the message out there that we are willing to go shopping for quarterbacks if things don’t go well?
Well your defineltly in the minority here but anyways what is your solution then if say petras and or padilla transfer out since your completely against the portal QB.

Lowly Arizona — yeah, that Tucson team that has sucked and burned through coaches faster than Clown U in recent years — just got a real upgrade at QB from Washington State.

Jayden de Laura, who threw 23 touchdown passes for Washington State this past season, is transferring to Arizona.

De Laura, who threw for 2,802 yards in 12 games, announced the move via Twitter on Monday. He immediately becomes the favorite to start for the Wildcats, who have moved aggressively to rebuild their roster this offseason.

De Laura joined Washington State in 2020 as a three-star prospect out of St. Louis High School in Honolulu. He also had offers from Ohio State, USC and BYU.

And yet getting a stud QB off the portal would upset the recruiting process at Iowa?

Right…

Last edited:
Ken, Brian and Kirk.... its not that they done nothin, its that they done it better than everyone else. (pause and reread)

Iowa can't point to any QBs who had careers in the NFL, much less started a few games. Very lackluster. So why would any decent QB decide to go to Iowa?

When will tradition bound Kirk step back and smell his own breath?
Technically this isn't 100% accurate since CJB had a handful of starts to his name but I get your point ...

QB, WR, and RB have all been deeply disappointing at Iowa under Ferentz in terms of production in college and the NFL. Shonn Greene the only name worth mentioning to this point. Maybe ISM and T Good can buck the trend.

How would it not shake things up? Not only are you probably losing Padilla or Petras in that situation, but what about guys like Labas? Guys that are fringe 3rd or 4th stringers looking to move up the depth chart that instantly find themselves taking a back seat. We can say its all about competition and ideally it should be, but (1) what's it say to the guy busting his ass to make the two deep when someone else is brought in and (2) what QB is going to transfer in to an offense like Iowa's if the writing on the walls isn't saying they'll be starting week 1.

I'm not saying the portal is/isn't a bad move, but I'm saying there's zero chance you go that route and it doesn't affect the current/immediate future of the roster. I don't think its a good idea if the consensus is the younger QB's have potential.

How would it not shake things up? Not only are you probably losing Padilla or Petras in that situation, but what about guys like Labas? Guys that are fringe 3rd or 4th stringers looking to move up the depth chart that instantly find themselves taking a back seat. We can say its all about competition and ideally it should be, but (1) what's it say to the guy busting his ass to make the two deep when someone else is brought in and (2) what QB is going to transfer in to an offense like Iowa's if the writing on the walls isn't saying they'll be starting week 1.

I'm not saying the portal is/isn't a bad move, but I'm saying there's zero chance you go that route and it doesn't affect the current/immediate future of the roster. I don't think its a good idea if the consensus is the younger QB's have potential.
A lot of Midwestern stubborn up in here.

Most on here have identified QB as a major weakness in the Iowa program.
Not sure I understand the concern about possibly losing these same QB's if we try to upgrade the position via the portal.

Most on here have identified QB as a major weakness in the Iowa program.
Not sure I understand the concern about possibly losing these same QB's if we try to upgrade the position via the portal.
Plenty of reason for concern.

1) If you bring in a transfer and your previous #1 and #2 guys leave (god forbid all 3), and the transfer flops, what the F do you do then? Take a nebraska-esque approach of “don’t worry, we’ll deal with it later?”

2) How do you explain that to future recruits when you’re trying to get them to come to your school, especially when you have zero blue blood recruiting power? Tyler Barnes and others have said on the record that that sort of thing gets used in negative recruiting all the time at skill positions.

3) Incoming transfers can work at other positions like DL, OL, LB, WR, etc because there are simply more spots available. The roster can have 8-10 WR on it at any given time with multiple spots open for competition. OL can be even more. If a transfer comes in there are 3-4 other spots that guys can compete for. At QB you don’t have that.

4) With transfer rules nowadays, there’s ZERO reason for a QB to stick around if a transfer is brought in. Someone here brought up Brad Banks being a transfer which was a stupid fucking comparison. Back then, a guy had to give up a year of precious eligibility and playing time if he wanted to transfer. Now it’s the opposite. Guys can (and will) hit the road and go play somewhere else.

5) Who is the guy you think is better (and available) that will be a marked improvement over the existing guys, and who will be able to learn the system in a few months?

I swear to god you guys sound like a bunch nebraska fans and admin wanting big change with zero thought given to the repercussions down the road. And then, when you finally get what you asked for, you can’t for the life of you figure out why things went south.

And then you want more change, and can’t figure out why it didn’t work.

And then even more change, and can’t figure out why it still didn’t work that time…

And on and on and on. You’re the guys who would’ve arrogantly fired Pelini with no contingency plan whatsoever.

Schools are bringing in transfer QBs all over the country. From the blue bloods to the average P5 schools. So they are all doing it wrong and Iowa has the golden tickets in their QB room…Petras has been the starter for 2 years (yes 1 was only 8 games) Both years his stats have been toward the bottom. He has been horrid. Padilla can’t beat him out so how good is he. Iowa's QB development is bad. Yet you think a QB whisperer will sprinkle manic dust on these 2 and take Iowa to the promise land? You need to share what you are smokin…

Schools are bringing in transfer QBs all over the country. From the blue bloods to the average P5 schools. So they are all doing it wrong and Iowa has the golden tickets in their QB room…Petras has been the starter for 2 years (yes 1 was only 8 games) Both years his stats have been toward the bottom. He has been horrid. Padilla can’t beat him out so how good is he. Iowa's QB development is bad. Yet you think a QB whisperer will sprinkle manic dust on these 2 and take Iowa to the promise land? You need to share what you are smokin…
The transfer portal has changed the game. Little ol’ Iowa in the form of Kirk Ferentz and his no-talent OC son better adapt or risk getting swept up in the dustbin of Hawkeye football history.

Plenty of reason for concern.

1) If you bring in a transfer and your previous #1 and #2 guys leave (god forbid all 3), and the transfer flops, what the F do you do then? Take a nebraska-esque approach of “don’t worry, we’ll deal with it later?”

2) How do you explain that to future recruits when you’re trying to get them to come to your school, especially when you have zero blue blood recruiting power? Tyler Barnes and others have said on the record that that sort of thing gets used in negative recruiting all the time at skill positions.

3) Incoming transfers can work at other positions like DL, OL, LB, WR, etc because there are simply more spots available. The roster can have 8-10 WR on it at any given time with multiple spots open for competition. OL can be even more. If a transfer comes in there are 3-4 other spots that guys can compete for. At QB you don’t have that.

4) With transfer rules nowadays, there’s ZERO reason for a QB to stick around if a transfer is brought in. Someone here brought up Brad Banks being a transfer which was a stupid fucking comparison. Back then, a guy had to give up a year of precious eligibility and playing time if he wanted to transfer. Now it’s the opposite. Guys can (and will) hit the road and go play somewhere else.

5) Who is the guy you think is better (and available) that will be a marked improvement over the existing guys, and who will be able to learn the system in a few months?

I swear to god you guys sound like a bunch nebraska fans and admin wanting big change with zero thought given to the repercussions down the road. And then, when you finally get what you asked for, you can’t for the life of you figure out why things went south.

And then you want more change, and can’t figure out why it didn’t work.

And then even more change, and can’t figure out why it still didn’t work that time…

And on and on and on. You’re the guys who would’ve arrogantly fired Pelini with no contingency plan whatsoever.
We have the 10th rated QB in the B10, backup #3 already gone and #2 very possibly gone, and you are resistant to bringing in someone new because things could get worse?