Keegan Murray Raising NBA Stock

He’s not ready for the NBA. His defensive skills need work, He’s not aggressive enough under the basket on both ends of the floor. He has missed over sixty percent of his three point attempts………………… yep, yep, yep two more years at Iowa should help him improve in those areas and get him ready for the NBA (tongue in cheek) and (fingers crossed)).

People forget that he is already 21 years old. After this season he will be at crossroads where NBA teams stop looking at "upside" and start nitpicking on what he can't do. imo, the comp is Harrison Barnes. The ceiling being he is the 2nd or 3rd scoring option on a NBA team. The floor is he is Ryan Bowen, where he plays a decade plus for 4 or 5 teams, being the hustle and glue guy. Either way it is a win-win.

Everyone assumes it is a foregone conclusion that he is NBA bound after this season because of what seems assured to be a high first round pick. Instant millionaire after all, you'd have to be an idiot to pass that up, right?

Just maybe he takes the Linderbaum road and enjoys this stage of his life at least one more year. Why not? This ain't football where you only got a few good years in many cases before your body breaks down. Maybe he wants to kick some ass next year with his brother and make some memories money can't buy with mom and dad beaming in black and gold as this team will be better. Maybe he wants a crack at being the NUMBER ONE pick next year. He is going to be even better next year and he will still become an instant millionaire.

I feel like it is 50/50 at this point. He needs (at least) another season in black and gold to fill the stat books up if he wants his jersey in the rafters! :)

*I agree with the above sentiments.

*Sounds like a plan to me. Murray returns for one more season after this season.

*His brother develops through this season and the two of them rip the conference a new one next year with the help of their teammates!!! :).

Lets see how the season plays out, and what impact the grueling conference season will have on his performance. If he maintains status quo-he gone to NBA..............

Everyone assumes it is a foregone conclusion that he is NBA bound after this season because of what seems assured to be a high first round pick. Instant millionaire after all, you'd have to be an idiot to pass that up, right?

Just maybe he takes the Linderbaum road and enjoys this stage of his life at least one more year. Why not? This ain't football where you only got a few good years in many cases before your body breaks down. Maybe he wants to kick some ass next year with his brother and make some memories money can't buy with mom and dad beaming in black and gold as this team will be better. Maybe he wants a crack at being the NUMBER ONE pick next year. He is going to be even better next year and he will still become an instant millionaire.

I feel like it is 50/50 at this point. He needs (at least) another season in black and gold to fill the stat books up if he wants his jersey in the rafters! :)
At 22 and change years old he'd be on the upper end of most rookies as far as age. Most rookies who actually get active roster spots are around 20 and a lot of them are 19.

Fran has a definite ceiling, and if he can't get something special done with Garza and Wieskamp on the floor he ain't gonna do it with a rehash of this year's team.

People forget that he is already 21 years old. After this season he will be at crossroads where NBA teams stop looking at "upside" and start nitpicking on what he can't do. imo, the comp is Harrison Barnes. The ceiling being he is the 2nd or 3rd scoring option on a NBA team. The floor is he is Ryan Bowen, where he plays a decade plus for 4 or 5 teams, being the hustle and glue guy. Either way it is a win-win.
Holy crap. I've forgotten about Barnes. There's a guy that's made a boat load of $ for being an NBA journey man. Is he still in Sacramento? Murray would be fortunate as all get out to have that type of career.

At 22 and change years old he'd be on the upper end of most rookies as far as age. Most rookies who actually get active roster spots are around 20 and a lot of them are 19.

Fran has a definite ceiling, and if he can't get something special done with Garza and Wieskamp on the floor he ain't gonna do it with a rehash of this year's team.
In the same regards to the football program, two NFL recruited tight ends, one of the preseason top rated offensive lines, and one of the pre-season top rated Big Ten QB’s, all on the same team. How did that offense do? Seems that both coaches have a ceiling. Kirk’s ceiling is a little taller but a ceiling none the less.

Holy crap. I've forgotten about Barnes. There's a guy that's made a boat load of $ for being an NBA journey man. Is he still in Sacramento? Murray would be fortunate as all get out to have that type of career.
Yeah he getting 33 minutes and 16 pts a game this year.

Yeah he getting 33 minutes and 16 pts a game this year.
By the time he plays out his current deal at the end of next yr he'll have banked 166 mil...I just looked it up. Unreal and he'll be turning 30 next yr. Good chance he hits 200 large before he calls it quits and he's a complimentary player. And that's just salary. He's not Lebron Chris Paul or Steph Curry but I'm sure he's probably got some endorsement dough coming in too. Crazy $ those dudes make

I have a cousin that is his same age that grew up in Urbandale and played against him in hoops all growing up and he was pretty much always a prodigy from jr high on. I can't remember at what point McDermott came to Ames but he was there too throughout HS anyway. I believe he's still cashing NBA checks but not like what Barnes is getting.

Last edited:
By the time he plays out his current deal at the end of next yr he'll have banked 166 mil...I just looked it up. Unreal and he'll be turning 30 next yr. Good chance he hits 200 large before he calls it quits and he's a complimentary player. And that's just salary. He's not Lebron Chris Paul or Steph Curry but I'm sure he's probably got some endorsement dough coming in too. Crazy $ those dudes make

I have a cousin that is his same age that grew up in Urbandale and played against him in hoops all growing up and he was pretty much always a prodigy from jr high on. I can't remember at what point McDermott came to Ames but he was there too throughout HS anyway. I believe he's still cashing NBA checks but not like what Barnes is getting.
I’ll would’ve dedicated 55% of that income to investment funds, 35% per year buying Iowa farmland, and lived comfortably off of the rest. I don’t have any expensive tastes. A paid off 1,500 sq foot house and a new pickup every 5 years would make me happy as a pig in shit. Then once I retired I could do literally anything I wanted without worry of tapping into my kid’s inheritance.

If Keegan comes back for his junior year he could easily vault into the top 5 for Iowa all time leading scorers in three seasons.

I agree that K. Murray has an impressive skill set, and don't see why NBA scouts would not be interested. BUT, if you can't take your college team on your shoulders and win games, I don't think you are ready for the millions and the big leagues. There isn't any rush, unless you are just dying to have more money than you can possibly spend, and be on the road for months each year.

I agree that K. Murray has an impressive skill set, and don't see why NBA scouts would not be interested. BUT, if you can't take your college team on your shoulders and win games, I don't think you are ready for the millions and the big leagues. There isn't any rush, unless you are just dying to have more money than you can possibly spend, and be on the road for months each year.
I hope this is a sarcastic comment because basketball is a team sport one player cannot carry a team. Look at Anthony Edwards played for Georgia never won anything and is having a hell of a young pro career so far.