Howe: Time for Change

My only concern with Coach Woods taking over at OC is that the position comes with a target on your back. But, he is a big boy and would handle it.

My only concern with Coach Woods taking over at OC is that the position comes with a target on your back. But, he is a big boy and would handle it.
You should see Twitter and Instagram. Woods’ guys would jump on a grenade for him. George Kittle has him at Niners games with his family all the time. He interacts with players past present and future and guys love to play for him. He’d figure it out.

You literally never see or hear any Iowa players saying anything positive about BF. Even in '20 people came to the defense of Wallace, Kerk, even Doyle…but never once did anyone say a single positive thing about Brain. He’s a proverbial tumor to the program unfortunately, and Kurt seems blind to it.

You should see Twitter and Instagram. Woods’ guys would jump on a grenade for him. George Kittle has him at Niners games with his family all the time. He interacts with players past present and future and guys love to play for him. He’d figure it out.

You literally never see or hear any Iowa players saying anything positive about BF. Even in '20 people came to the defense of Wallace, Kerk, even Doyle…but never once did anyone say a single positive thing about Brain. He’s a proverbial tumor to the program unfortunately, and Kurt seems blind to it.
Whos Kurt?

Its a great article, with some great questions. Rob, I assume you plan to ask those very hard questions to KF's face at his next presser?

That was a rhetorical question. The media that covers Iowa Football never asks him that type of tough question.

Its a great article, with some great questions. Rob, I assume you plan to ask those very hard questions to KF's face at his next presser?

That was a rhetorical question. The media that covers Iowa Football never asks him that type of tough question.

Gee, I've never heard that criticism before. You might be on to something with a real original thought. Thanks for bringing to light "Iowa media never asks a tough question" idea. Well done.

It would also be a rhetorical question for a media member to ask that. It’s one that you yourself would never ask a head coach to his face, and it’s also one that won’t do anything to make KF change his mind.

Basically, it’s a question that you’d be too scared to ask in person yourself, but you want other people to jump on the grenade so you can watch Ferentz squirm and get agitated. Seems kinda selfish to me.

Look man, these aren’t 1986 reporters for the Detroit Free Press asking “hardball” questions about the Lions, where they know they’re not gonna get let go because newspapers and magazines were the king of sports media back then.

Sports media has been completely diluted today down to hundreds of thousands of internet blogs, forum boards, YouTube channels, and Twitter accounts, 99.9% of them not paying a living wage. Rob himself said he’s come to the point of several gigs with several companies to be able to make a go of it in sports. But you want guys to jeopardize what image they do have by asking coaches rhetorical questions…questions that are 100% guaranteed to not only not get an answer, but also guarantee that the person being asked (Ferentz) never gives them the time of day in the future.

Gee, I've never heard that criticism before. You might be on to something with a real original thought. Thanks for bringing to light "Iowa media never asks a tough question" idea. Well done.

Did you ever recover from the last time you did?

I forget what you asked him but it was a tough one and he gave you the ole grunt and stink eye afterwards.

That is pure nonsense.

Sometimes a criticism comes up all the time because its actually a thing. And that is usually reinforced when responses to the criticism are immediately defensive.

Look, I get that its a small universe that Iowa sports media operates in, and access and information is often times dependent upon relationships. I also get that "Iowa nice" is a thing, and I appreciate that. If that's the case, then so be it. But, let's not pretend this criticism isn't legitimate.

It would be well inbounds to ask KF about the profound underperformance of the offense, asking him if changes will be made, and asking him if he is holding his son to the same standards as every other coach on the staff. I get that he will likely give KF coach speak, and/or be miffy, but the question should be asked.

Heck, even Ted Lasso gets asked the tough questions by Trent Crimm, of The Independent.

I think Rob, Chad, Kennington, Mike Hlas all offer good analysis. Reasonable, tough now and then, but also fair. Keep up the good work, Rob.

One question I'm interested in - and not sure if Kirk has ever been asked. What factors led him to naming Seth Wallace as assistant DC a few years ago? Will he consider an assistant OC at some point? (This part isn't a question, but I'd love to see LeVar as assistant OC in addition to being special teams coordinator. He's resourceful - see what wrinkles he might be able to add. It's clear they could use another set of eyes (and ideas) when thinking through the offense).

Not disagreeing with anyone here (mostly because I stayed away from this thread because I knew it was going to be a bitch fest, but we win or at least send it to OT if:

1) They call the offside where the NT comes across and hits Linderbaum's helmet on 4th and 1 on the 5
2) Moss doesn't blow his coverage
3) We go for it on 4th and inches
4a) IKM doesn't get hit on his way through the line which means Petras can get rid of the ball a split second earlier on last INT
4b) If Richman gets his block on the INT, Petras has time to hit IKM for a catch and run.

Along with that, if Wisky beats Minny, we end up 11-2. Is there as much bitching? Does Rob even write the article? I agree that changes could be good, but I'd like to think we are tweaks away and now wholesale changes.

Sorry

Too much common sense

:cool:

I know I've said it before, but Hayden conditioned the media to walk on eggshells around him. Remembering a WHO call-in show where a fan asked him when he was going to take Iowa to the next level, with Fry becoming unglued. Another occasion where a reporter from WMT asked him a question he didn't like and as a result had Ron Gonder kicked off the air. preventing him from doing broadcasts of Iowa football.

So this soft-pedaling of the Iowa coaches is nothing new at all.