Tyler Goodson skipping bowl game

He would have been better in anything besides a zone blocking scheme.

not really. he just needed thunder to his lightning. what you wanted was a Leshun Daniels and Jordan Cazeri combo. It didn’t work out that way he ended up being the bell cow.

However, does he really think he can make an NFL team at this point in time? Scout team? Just seemed like maybe he could have used another year. Best of luck to him.
Agree totally. Some bad habits and could work on things. Not like he couldn't improve and get higher up that much in the eyes of the pros. More like he could use it and go from not making to making a team.

Last edited:
Unlike most, I'm kind of surprised by this. I wish him the best, but this season it just seemed like he was always looking for a hole big enough for a Mack truck instead of putting his head down and taking what he could get. I know our OL wasn't great this year, but I recall seeing a lot of plays where he could have gotten two or three yards at minimum, but wound up getting tackled for a two or three yard loss because he hesitated.

It would be something, it will never happen, but if a player decided to abandon their team for the Pros, they have a major scholarship penalty levied against them. Or if they try to sit out, if there is no medical reason for them not to sit out, there is some type of penalty. Or, the NFL steps in and says you can't declare for the NFL until the conclusion of the regular season and post-season play if applicable for your college program.

I suppose a player could always try to stink it up on the field in a bowl game, but then the coach could pull out that said player leaving some egg on their face for not putting their best foot forward for their team.

But, that is fantasy land. But, part of me thinks that would be justifiable to protect the college game from early pro poaching. The other part of me disagrees because it goes against the free spirit of choice and the open market.

There is likely nothing you can do about it other than wish them the best of luck.

Last edited:
It also goes to show, deep down, what these bowl games are worth now. Players clearly put more value on the regular season and these bowl games are even more gloried scrimmages unless there is a title on the line......or it is an incredibly prestigious bowl like the Rose Bowl and such an honor to play in.

And, maybe that is the answer to diminishing players leaving early. We need to expand the college football playoff to put something tangible on the line rather than coconut shrimp.

In fairness to him I heard on a sports talk radio show that this years RB class is much weaker than next years, so he may be hearing he'd have a better chance making it this year.

It's a business decision for him, don't blame him. Another year might hurt his stock. He made a lot of nice plays for us wish him best of luck and will be pulling for him. Running backs are easier to replace than any position. Our O-line is the issue and will be next year as well. See how MSU picked up about 20 players off the portal last year and already picked up a top flight linebacker. Kirk it's time to embrace the future, instead of just losing guys to the portal. The great get of Xavier saves this day though.

Unlike most, I'm kind of surprised by this. I wish him the best, but this season it just seemed like he was always looking for a hole big enough for a Mack truck instead of putting his head down and taking what he could get. I know our OL wasn't great this year, but I recall seeing a lot of plays where he could have gotten two or three yards at minimum, but wound up getting tackled for a two or three yard loss because he hesitated.
He missed a lot of green to on his cuts. I'm not sold on his vision. Not upper level speed either, got chased down too many times. He has a shot at the next level with the right team and if he stays healthy.

Yeah it's not terribly surprising. It is an interesting decision though. Coming back I don't think would have enhanced his stock and that's ultimately why he went. He is who he is his skill set is what it is. He's not going to gain 20 lbs or get noticeably faster. All he'd do is take hits and put miles on his legs and risk injury by coming back.

I'd be surprised if he gets drafted though. I haven't looked at all the other backs he'll be competing with but is he a top 10 guy? Top 20? And how many get taken?

I suspect he'll have a similar road to what Sargent has had so far. Hope he's cool with that.
Yes. You weigh the option of enhancing your stock against another year of free hits and this was the conclusion he came to.

Anyone out there wish Ronnie Harmon would have opted out of the 1986 Rose Bowl?

I'm not surprised given the frustration of playing behind that OLine, given that he was so often pulled out after a nice run, his caries were limited and other stuff i've heard rumblings about.

I never felt like he hit his ceiling.
Did he get taken out after some good runs or did he take himself out for a breather.?

He has to have nearly 400 carries + or - in 3 years of mainly being the starter. That is a load especially this year when about 10% or more of his carries he was getting multiple hits in the backfield for a loss.

If he gets with the right team and they mainly want him as a third down receiving back and a backup then he might stick, oh and special teams as I hope he likes to tackle.

Latest posts