My it's Monday after the storm 2 cents on it all

Hawkfnntn

Embarrassing and disappointing. I feel like the game plan offensively didn't stretch any further then the first couple drives. Like we kept trying to do the same thing with running the ball out of predictable formations and down and distance situations. Once score got to be 21-3 and then 28-3 BF turtled up. He seemed too scared to actually have the offense try. Or he just didn't have a plan for if they got down. Which is negligible to be that unprepared. The way they kept running the ball like that tells me that they just wanted to burn clock and try to keep the score close (look how that turned out) because even he had no confidence in the O scoring. Let alone scoring quick. It was like after the failed trick play from Williams to Pottebaum he threw his hands up.

Michigan was smart the only success we really had on those early possessions moving the ball was on the bootleg roll out plays to LaPorta. Well they adjusted later in the game and came rushing off the edge wider preventing qbs from getting outside the tackle. What'd we do instead? Kept running the ball... I don't think we tried any quick WR screens. But they had nothing to fear with our running game and didn't need to add a man to the box for it as the game went on.

How many of the 33 rushing attempts we had took place after the score was 21-3? 14-3 happened really fast and I won't blast them too much for getting away from the 'game plan' if they'd had one at that point but once it was 21-3 with the flow of the game going how it was why on earth do you keep running the ball in that way so much? To me it was inexcusable and made no sense at all.

I actually think the Oline held up fairly well against them in pass protection. All things considered anyway. I blame situational play calling for a lot of our problems. Don't get me wrong hats off to Michigan. They are good. They are tough and I don't even blame them for piling it on in the 4th. They had a chance to jump up to #1 with style points and frankly I think they shoulda got it. But the powers that be wanted Bama to have the bye week against Cinci.

The defense did ok for awhile. But at some point you just can't keep putting them in those situations. Quick 3 and outs by our O over and over just wore them down mentally as much as anything I think. Michigans trick plays worked. Ours didn't. We missed a FG and next thing you know it's 14-3 and we had no path for really coming back. The D played too well all year to nit pick at them so I'm just not going to.

I'm bummed because we made all those loud-mouthed national talking heads right. They all pretty much thought we'd get smashed and they were right. I wasn't expecting a miracle. I wouldn't have been pissed had we just lost in a respectable way. But that all around effort really does suck and I can't sugar coat it much more than that.

Embarrassing and disappointing. I feel like the game plan offensively didn't stretch any further then the first couple drives. Like we kept trying to do the same thing with running the ball out of predictable formations and down and distance situations. Once score got to be 21-3 and then 28-3 BF turtled up. He seemed too scared to actually have the offense try. Or he just didn't have a plan for if they got down. Which is negligible to be that unprepared. The way they kept running the ball like that tells me that they just wanted to burn clock and try to keep the score close (look how that turned out) because even he had no confidence in the O scoring. Let alone scoring quick. It was like after the failed trick play from Williams to Pottebaum he threw his hands up.
Probably true. The first line on the game plan was, take an early lead. That was a key to the game, as evidenced by the trick play on the opening drive. Didn't work.
Michigan was smart the only success we really had on those early possessions moving the ball was on the bootleg roll out plays to LaPorta. Well they adjusted later in the game and came rushing off the edge wider preventing qbs from getting outside the tackle. What'd we do instead? Kept running the ball... I don't think we tried any quick WR screens. But they had nothing to fear with our running game and didn't need to add a man to the box for it as the game went on.
It's funny to me that people complain about WR screens, but most everybody complained about NOT liking "predictable" screens the rest of the season. You have to have blockers for screens to work.
How many of the 33 rushing attempts we had took place after the score was 21-3? 14-3 happened really fast and I won't blast them too much for getting away from the 'game plan' if they'd had one at that point but once it was 21-3 with the flow of the game going how it was why on earth do you keep running the ball in that way so much? To me it was inexcusable and made no sense at all.
I mean, if you want to give Michigan 45 minutes of possession, be my guest, but the final score is probably going to be even worse than it was.
I actually think the Oline held up fairly well against them in pass protection. All things considered anyway. I blame situational play calling for a lot of our problems. Don't get me wrong hats off to Michigan. They are good. They are tough and I don't even blame them for piling it on in the 4th. They had a chance to jump up to #1 with style points and frankly I think they shoulda got it. But the powers that be wanted Bama to have the bye week against Cinci.
That's because the ball was getting chucked as quickly as possible after the snap, which is fine, you've gotta do that with this OL against that DL. It also resulted in many inaccurate balls.
The defense did ok for awhile. But at some point you just can't keep putting them in those situations. Quick 3 and outs by our O over and over just wore them down mentally as much as anything I think. Michigans trick plays worked. Ours didn't. We missed a FG and next thing you know it's 14-3 and we had no path for really coming back. The D played too well all year to nit pick at them so I'm just not going to.
The defense didn't do okay until they had already given up 14 points, ala Rose Bowl 2015.
I'm bummed because we made all those loud-mouthed national talking heads right. They all pretty much thought we'd get smashed and they were right. I wasn't expecting a miracle. I wouldn't have been pissed had we just lost in a respectable way. But that all around effort really does suck and I can't sugar coat it much more than that.
If you haven't learned to ignore them yet, you either haven't paid any attention the last twenty years, or you've memory holed a lot of pain.

Probably true. The first line on the game plan was, take an early lead. That was a key to the game, as evidenced by the trick play on the opening drive. Didn't work.

It's funny to me that people complain about WR screens, but most everybody complained about NOT liking "predictable" screens the rest of the season. You have to have blockers for screens to work.

I mean, if you want to give Michigan 45 minutes of possession, be my guest, but the final score is probably going to be even worse than it was.

That's because the ball was getting chucked as quickly as possible after the snap, which is fine, you've gotta do that with this OL against that DL. It also resulted in many inaccurate balls.

The defense didn't do okay until they had already given up 14 points, ala Rose Bowl 2015.

If you haven't learned to ignore them yet, you either haven't paid any attention the last twenty years, or you've memory holed a lot of pain.
We often try one. I figured with how aggressive Michigan was that we'd try some of that and at least see. Between Johnson Tracy and Bruce I woulda liked to see them get more touches and with that pass rush that'd be the easiest way to do it.

True if we were unsuccessful with moving the ball in the air it most likely woulda/coulda been worse. I'm referring to 2nd q and even early 3rd before game was too far gone. When it's 21-3 as early as it was you have a snowballs chance of coming back but not if you burn up all the clock yourself.

Petras had more 5 step drops then I thought they'd ask him to do. I expected more quick 3 step outs/slants/screens. Don't get me wrong Oline wasn't all that good. They just weren't as bad as I thought it coulda been.

It isn't about me paying attention/letting them affect me. Fact is they exist and their two cents is plastered everywhere for players/recruits to hear. When we are trying to land the 5 star kids from SE Polk and Kaspers kid that sort of thing sure doesn't help cause they hear and see it all.

This is way better than the garbage @IowaLawWasRight used to post for analysis. Luckily he got sick of HN (probably me) and now he tortures the HawkeyeReport forums with his drivel.

Michigan is a very experienced team. Lots of 5th and 6th year guys, who hung around to see if they could turn it around, including Aiden Hutchinson, their stud defensive end.

Michigan loses a bunch of players. Oct. 1, 2022 is going to be an interesting game....Iowa v. Michigan in Kinnick, probably at night. Payback time?

We often try one. I figured with how aggressive Michigan was that we'd try some of that and at least see. Between Johnson Tracy and Bruce I woulda liked to see them get more touches and with that pass rush that'd be the easiest way to do it.

True if we were unsuccessful with moving the ball in the air it most likely woulda/coulda been worse. I'm referring to 2nd q and even early 3rd before game was too far gone. When it's 21-3 as early as it was you have a snowballs chance of coming back but not if you burn up all the clock yourself.

Petras had more 5 step drops then I thought they'd ask him to do. I expected more quick 3 step outs/slants/screens. Don't get me wrong Oline wasn't all that good. They just weren't as bad as I thought it coulda been.

It isn't about me paying attention/letting them affect me. Fact is they exist and their two cents is plastered everywhere for players/recruits to hear. When we are trying to land the 5 star kids from SE Polk and Kaspers kid that sort of thing sure doesn't help cause they hear and see it all.
They ran a fair number of slants (I am counting some of those isolation routes for Goodson). Both Goodson and Johnson dropped catchable balls on slant routes IIRC. And let's be real, they tried this in the Wisconsin game and it didn't work at all.

Petras airmailing most of the deep passes out of bounds was extremely annoying. It also took away opportunities for defensive PI penalties (basically the Purdue strategy). Padilla throws a worse ball in the middle of the field but is far better on go routes outside.

I actually agree with LaPorta that the biggest issue is with inability to run the ball. Because Iowa doesn't have the wideouts who can gain separation off the line of scrimmage in the red zone. That makes everything from slants to mesh routes difficult to run. So, we need to either go with power running or throw to the TE.

I was surprised we never saw a QB draw in the red zone.

Michigan is a very experienced team. Lots of 5th and 6th year guys, who hung around to see if they could turn it around, including Aiden Hutchinson, their stud defensive end.

Michigan loses a bunch of players. Oct. 1, 2022 is going to be an interesting game....Iowa v. Michigan in Kinnick, probably at night. Payback time?

payback motherfucker - English motherfucker, do you speak it? | Meme  Generator

:cool:

Last edited:

Getting burned on those trick plays was unacceptable considering how good our defense has been. It is just dumbfounding.

Embarrassing and disappointing. I feel like the game plan offensively didn't stretch any further then the first couple drives.

Very good write up and analysis. Kirk's style of ball and his hawk teams need to be able to run the ball well, not average or below avg like this year or not even great. But if they can run it above avg, at least about 175+ to 200 yards a game then they can have the balance with the play action passing game. Cant play action pass when you dont scare the other team with your running game. Kirk goes for balanced offense. He has never purposefully put a pass first offense on the field in his 23 years, 2004 accidentally became one.

To win the big games and beat purdue, wisky, and mich next year a total focus on a variety of ways to run the ball including the short, wide flanker screens which are basically long laterals and pitchouts. The OLine will need to get at least more explosive and stronger off the ball and perhaps 10-20 lbs a man bigger. Can they find another really good center.

Last edited:
Very good write up and analysis. Kirk's style of ball and his hawk teams need to be able to run the ball well, not average or below avg like this year or not even great. But if they can run it above avg, at least about 175+ to 200 yards a game then they can have the balance with the play action passing game. Cant play action pass when you dont scare the other team with your running game. Kirk goes for balanced offense. He has never purposefully put a pass first offense on the field in his 23 years, 2004 accidentally became one.

To win the big games and beat purdue, wisky, and mich next year a total focus on a variety of ways to run the ball including the short, wide flanker screens which are basically long laterals and pitchouts. The OLine will need to get at least more explosive and stronger off the ball and perhaps 10-20 lbs a man bigger. Can they find another really good center.
Yup. And it's fine to want to be balanced. I felt BFs strategy showed a high level of being unprepared. I get it you expect your gameplan to work but how many offensive game plans of ours have worked this yr very well? Knowing that the odds weren't very good this time either why would you not have a plan B for when you get down 3 possessions early. I know running the ball from base formations and running the play clock all the way down to under 5 seconds every snap isn't going to help you catch up. They played with no degree of urgency.

It was from that early 2nd q through first 2 possessions of the 3rd that really disappointed me. No adjustments to the play calling. No urgency just more of the same thing hoping Michigan would go easy on em is what it felt like. Didn't matter which QB was in there.

Yup. And it's fine to want to be balanced. I felt BFs strategy showed a high level of being unprepared. I get it you expect your gameplan to work but how many offensive game plans of ours have worked this yr very well? Knowing that the odds weren't very good this time either why would you not have a plan B for when you get down 3 possessions early. I know running the ball from base formations and running the play clock all the way down to under 5 seconds every snap isn't going to help you catch up. They played with no degree of urgency.

It was from that early 2nd q through first 2 possessions of the 3rd that really disappointed me. No adjustments to the play calling. No urgency just more of the same thing hoping Michigan would go easy on em is what it felt like. Didn't matter which QB was in there.

The shovel pass is generally a very safe call and if you notice that their interior line just comes charging in you can try to trap a DTackle to form a hole and get a needed 3-5 yards on a key play. Call the play at a crucial time. Call it again later if it works.

I was very disappointed in the 2nd period sequence where the hawks forced punts from deep in Mich territory and hawks took over near midfield. I just dont remember us taking any long shots trying to get a catch or a PI.

And boy were the Mich DBacks doing some grabbing and mugging.

And you dont need a ton of pass protection time to throw a deep ball, contrary to many people's belief. Send two faster receivers long on each side of the field, occupy safeties with tight ends running at them, in a little over two seconds the QBs should be able to see at least one receiver even or beating his many so launch the ball.

Yup. And it's fine to want to be balanced. I felt BFs strategy showed a high level of being unprepared.

The early missed Iowa field goal kept the hawks from being within a score, at 14-6 rather than 14-3, for the last part of the 1st qtr until Mich scored in the 3rd to go up 21-3. That is almost half the game where one big play could have put Iowa into position to tie it at 14 all.

And in the end, you cant put pressure on Mich to make a mistake or choke when you dont score in the redzone, where 3 trips netted Iowa 3 points instead of perhaps being tied at 21 or only down 21-17 late in the 3rd qtr.

Next year a better run game and a much better TD ratio in the red zone could be huge.

Iowa’s offense would be the same with Vick or Brady at QB. If you like the same thing over and over, Iowa is your team. That being said, there has been reasonable success over the years

Absolutely, we owe them and they lose a lot. We do to but we bring back a bunch. Kirk will have much fuel to put on the fire and hopefully it will be a night game. Course Michigan will have the 4 and 5 stars but they will be young.

I was completely underwhelmed when we had some good drives using the passing game and misdirection, then got completely predictable in the red zone. We basically gave Michigan two run plays up the gut all three times. We got into 3 and long all three times. Taking away two downs from your offense and expecting them to make a low percentage play on 3 down was harsh. I would have preferred giving Petras three bullets in his gun near the end zone. When we did pass on first and second down it caught Michigan by surprise and we had some success.

I was completely underwhelmed when we had some good drives using the passing game and misdirection, then got completely predictable in the red zone. We basically gave Michigan two run plays up the gut all three times. We got into 3 and long all three times. Taking away two downs from your offense and expecting them to make a low percentage play on 3 down was harsh. I would have preferred giving Petras three bullets in his gun near the end zone. When we did pass on first and second down it caught Michigan by surprise and we had some success.
Brian has a problem staying off script and coming up with wrinkles in the offense. I just dont know but we dont seem to have receivers on 3 levels on the same side of the field. So many teams against us send a guy deep, send a guy medium down the field, then just swing a running back or TEnd out to the side by the LOS. If nothing is open deep or middle range dump it off to the short receiver against Iowa's zone and get at least 5 yards.

Not sure why we dont see this easy passing game with the hawks.

and hopefully adding a running back with a burst..We are dreadfully slow at that position.

OMG our redzone O has been dreadful all yr too... That game was a microcosm of that. I want to say we are like bottom 5 in all of college football with that. Like we've had zero success running the ball not just in the redzone but all over all yr long right? So why at this point in the season do we think we can all of a sudden do it against Michigan? Thats part of where I bash on BF and just his overall game plan. Putting Petras and that Oline in 3rd and longs in the redzone (anywhere really) is just a recipe for disaster and that's what they did over and over