Players returning next year?

longtimer

Goodson would be the first question. Clearly not a high level draft choice but then RBs are not recruited as highly as in the past. On one hand does he want to be another year older and on the other hand he is not having a great year. Of course if BF is OC again next year and with an terrible Offensive Line that loses it's All American center would next year be better? If he does leave our RB situation for next year is really bad unless one of the freshmen coming in is an instant difference maker

I was also wondering what are the chances Purdy comes back at Iowa State? I think the pandemic gives him another year if he wants it? Good college QB but don't think much of a pro prospect

How about Matinez at Nebraska? Same as Purdy in terms of Pro prospect. Why wouldn't he come back?

I will have to look at how many seasons Purdy and Martinez have played, maybe 7 each.

But way too early to talk about next year.

Last edited:
I will have to look at how many seasons Purdy and Martinez have played, maybe 7 each.

But way too early to talk about next year.
Martinez is listed as a Junior on Nebraska roster. Purdy has another year because of the Pandemic allowance although he has said this is his last
It's always interesting to talk about the future which is why recruiting has become such a popular topic

Word around Nebraska is that Martinez is done. He may try to take a grad transfer or try his luck as a DB prospect in the NFL, ala his coach. But, there is sort of a mutual feeling that this dysfunctional relationship needs to come to an end. We shall see.

Nebbie's back up sucks.

Martinez is listed as a Junior on Nebraska roster. Purdy has another year because of the Pandemic allowance although he has said this is his last
It's always interesting to talk about the future which is why recruiting has become such a popular topic

Yes, I know and I was just using the usual joke line that college fans have said for years. I remember Clark Kellogg just beating up on the hawks for what seemed like 8 years. I am sure Nebby fans thought Akrum Wadley had been at Iowa for 6 years.

Yes, I think Purdy's first year was 2018 and he has started plenty of games. I can see why he will want to try the pros after this year. If he can really learn a playbook, use his mobility, and make good throws and decisions he could definitely stick with a team.

I had friends/hawk fans or not who thought Beathard would never make the pros let alone stick but I and many others thougth he had a strong, accurate enough arm, good mobility, and a good QB head. Beathard has to be doing well on his 5th year in the pros.

So the question is do you think he will come back for another year?

Is Tyler Goodson going to graduate this year which is one item to consider?

If you are not guaranteed or know you can get even a first year pro minimum contract, is that about $800,000 a year now, and you need to come back in Sept 2022 to finish your degree then finish your degree.

Goodson would be the first question. Clearly not a high level draft choice but then RBs are not recruited as highly as in the past. On one hand does he want to be another year older and on the other hand he is not having a great year. Of course if BF is OC again next year and with an terrible Offensive Line that loses it's All American center would next year be better? If he does leave our RB situation for next year is really bad unless one of the freshmen coming in is an instant difference maker

I was also wondering what are the chances Purdy comes back at Iowa State? I think the pandemic gives him another year if he wants it? Good college QB but don't think much of a pro prospect

How about Matinez at Nebraska? Same as Purdy in terms of Pro prospect. Why wouldn't he come back?
Goodson would be best entering into the transfer portal at this point. If our line doesn’t show much improvement over the last few game this year, he should try to land at a school with an offensive line.

Also losing the best center in college football should weigh heavily in his decision.

Last edited:
Kiper has Goodson as his #10 RB for the draft. If there's a chance he gets drafted, he gone. RB's want that 2nd contract. Staying only goes so far.

Kiper has Goodson as his #10 RB for the draft. If there's a chance he gets drafted, he gone. RB's want that 2nd contract. Staying only goes so far.

Well he is talented, great feet and cutting and spinning ability to avoid tackles. He is a really good pass receiver for a running back. He could easily be a slot receiver.

But not really knowing about other running backs and watching a lot of others it is hard for me to know how well he compares. And as someone said, the nfl just takes in , chews up and spits our running backs. There are not a ton of them anymore that get the big free agency money since passing is the big part of the game. I bet the Eagles wish they hadnt taken Demarco Murray and I bet the cowboys wish they would have just given Murray some more dollars for a year or two.

Well he is talented, great feet and cutting and spinning ability to avoid tackles. He is a really good pass receiver for a running back. He could easily be a slot receiver.
You're right. He's very versatile and can be used in a lot of different ways. That being said, though, is he an NFL back? A lot of RB's are versatile and fit the RB of today's NFL. I honestly don't know if he does or not. I'll let people that are a lot smarter than me figure that out.

I could see Goodson coming back. Look at Sargent and the road he's had so far and honestly his game translates to the NFL better then Goodsons does. Goodson isn't a bruiser and he's not exactly a speedster. He's quicker then fast but he's not Barry Sanders. I don't see Goodson getting drafted high enough to make going worth it but who knows. RBs only have so many touches period so maybe he goes to try and start getting paid.

Tracy on the other hand I don't think will be back and it's not because he's going to the league. But he's tweeted stuff now and is obviously frustrated with his role and how could you blame him? He's getting less then 5 opportunities a game and he should be getting no less then 7. He's a talented kid and I can't understand the game plans BF is putting together. I know he's struggled a little too but he's a kid that with more volume would do significantly better I think.

I think Tracy should get a look at RB during bowl prep. He is a very inconsistent catching the ball - always has been - but he can be magic in space when he does have the ball in his hands. I also don't see him taking reps from 10 or 6 at this point. I also think there is a good chance Jones is back next year, and I don't see Tracy taking reps from him.