Rattler leaving Oklahoman: Shouldn't Iowa try to get him?

Should Iowa try to get Spencer Rattler off of the transfer portal if he leaves Oklahoma?

• Yes

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • No.

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters
Jalen Hurts lost his starting job at Alabama, went to Oklahoma and is now starting on Sundays. Matt Cassel was a backup to Carsen Palmer and went on to a decent NFL career. It does happen, and Rattler is a legit quarterback who will probably fall into their footsteps. He lost his starting job after an interception and a fumble, one bad game...make that a bad quarter and this was after he scored a touchdown.

Rattler would probable never consider Iowa but how would Iowa say no. Come on, competition brings out the best players. Why wouldn't Iowa want Rattler competing with Petras in the spring? I've never understood the sacred cow that is the Iowa quaterback. Every coach should want his QB's competing for the starting position in a positive way. I often think Iowa's QB's are too cerebral sometimes. There's something to be said for the guy who just knows how to do something by instinct than the guy who can memorize every play in the play book. CJ was that kind natural athlete and leader. Being "cocky" is the trait of the best QB's.

What has he done publically that shows he's not team first? Dude's calling out walk-ons as leaders.
So would removing the school from a social media account qualify as not being team first. I'm no social media guy but it sounds as though he was previously referring to himself as QB at Oklahoma or something to that extent, and now he's just referring to himself as a QB after getting the hook. Definitely seems team first to me especially if he's already decided to transfer.

Rattler would probable never consider Iowa but how would Iowa say no. Come on, competition brings out the best players. Why wouldn't Iowa want Rattler competing with Petras in the spring? I've never understood the sacred cow that is the Iowa quaterback. Every coach should want his QB's competing for the starting position in a positive way. I often think Iowa's QB's are too cerebral sometimes. There's something to be said for the guy who just knows how to do something by instinct than the guy who can memorize every play in the play book. CJ was that kind natural athlete and leader. Being "cocky" is the trait of the best QB's.
I agree with you 100% that competition brings out the best players, but at the same time what does it say when a player bails after losing his starting spot? Not knowing the circumstances, but to me it screams "I won't fight to get my job back, but I will try to transfer somewhere else where I'm definitely the program's best QB". Just not sure that's the competitor that I want.

So would removing the school from a social media account qualify as not being team first. I'm no social media guy but it sounds as though he was previously referring to himself as QB at Oklahoma or something to that extent, and now he's just referring to himself as a QB after getting the hook. Definitely seems team first to me especially if he's already decided to transfer.
Removing the Oklahoma tag from his personal social media account is about as small a thing you can do. He's not qb1 there anymore. It doesn't even mean he's leaving for sure, just that he's not their QB, which is true. He certainly hasn't announced he's actually transferring or anything.

Let's be real though - he has no choice but to transfer if he wants to play enough to reach his dreams of making the NFL. If he were your kid, that's what you'd tell him. Backups don't get drafted. Riley and Oklahoma knew that, and they obviously thought he was better than Williams but now have a problem because they put in Williams and he performed. So cfb fans are reading tea leaves with his social media.

I don't think recognizing reality makes him a headache or a Prima Donna. He's not out boozing every night like Manziel.

Whether or not he's actually good enough to make it is besides the point. Not transferring is not trying, and actively hoping Caleb Williams gets hurt. That's not good for anyone. He is good enough to start at lots of P5 schools right now.

If you transferred him in in the spring at Iowa, he competes for the job with Petras in the fall, and worse case scenario for him has two years (probably one) as qb1 for a team with junior/senior tackles, a junior center, and a junior guard if he doesn't beat out Petras, and a pretty good defensive line, or he transfers to a team that guarantees him a starting spot, like say, Ole Miss or Cincinnati or USC.

I'm thinking of this like a baseball trade.

If you transferred him in in the spring at Iowa, he competes for the job with Petras in the fall, and worse case scenario for him has two years (probably one) as qb1 for a team with junior/senior tackles, a junior center, and a junior guard if he doesn't beat out Petras, and a pretty good defensive line, or he transfers to a team that guarantees him a starting spot, like say, Ole Miss or Cincinnati or USC.
Lol. This is about as shot-sighted as could be.

The point is moot because Ferentz would never in a million years go after this kid, but the instant you grabbed a kid like Rattler out of the portal, at least 2 of our QBs would transfer as well. Maybe all 3. As you said, why would they stay? And what would you do then if Rattler doesn't work out? Go back to the portal again mid season? jesus christ you sound exactly like a nebraska fan wanting to burn the house down because they lost one game.

Aside from all that, he's a PAC12/B12 quarterback playing in those types of schemes, and would never perform to a level against B1G defenses where he'd be getting drafted the next year.

Removing the Oklahoma tag from his personal social media account is about as small a thing you can do. He's not qb1 there anymore. It doesn't even mean he's leaving for sure, just that he's not their QB, which is true. He certainly hasn't announced he's actually transferring or anything.

Let's be real though - he has no choice but to transfer if he wants to play enough to reach his dreams of making the NFL. If he were your kid, that's what you'd tell him. Backups don't get drafted. Riley and Oklahoma knew that, and they obviously thought he was better than Williams but now have a problem because they put in Williams and he performed. So cfb fans are reading tea leaves with his social media.

I don't think recognizing reality makes him a headache or a Prima Donna. He's not out boozing every night like Manziel.

Whether or not he's actually good enough to make it is besides the point. Not transferring is not trying, and actively hoping Caleb Williams gets hurt. That's not good for anyone. He is good enough to start at lots of P5 schools right now.

I'm thinking of this like a baseball trade.
My guess would be however, that there would be zero chance he'd come into a spring camp anywhere as a number 2 with the intent of competing for the #1 job. He's going to go with the most prestigious school willing to gift him a starting sport and we all know that it won't be Iowa making that promise. And your 100% right that changing his status on social media may mean absolutely nothing, but it could also be the writing on the wall if things change down the road as the season begins. IF, and a big if, he removed the Oklahoma part of his status to show support for Caleb then he's a better teammate then ever gave him credit for.

The other aspect that has to be taken into consideration is the NIL side of it. I just stumbled on a site (fansided.com for what its worth) that indicated he could be worth $827,102 dollars annually at OU now whether that's legit or not I have no clue, but if that's the case I could think of hundreds of thousands of reasons for him to transfer that wouldn't be made in the best interest of legitimately competing for a starting spot. It's definitely a new game.

This gets you benched at OU. Stats aren't the end all be all, but I wouldn't say he played like total shit. Williams is just better.

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGSACKRTG
One thing you have to take into consideration. These numbers are against big 12 opponents. The conference that has never played Defense. Watching the Texas Oklahoma game was like watching a completely different sport that the big 10 we have come to know and love. His mumber would not be that great in the Big 10. Not even close. That being said. I dont care how good a player is...KF isn't taking a transfer tl replace HIS starting QB. That will never happen.

My guess would be however, that there would be zero chance he'd come into a spring camp anywhere as a number 2 with the intent of competing for the #1 job. He's going to go with the most prestigious school willing to gift him a starting sport and we all know that it won't be Iowa making that promise. And your 100% right that changing his status on social media may mean absolutely nothing, but it could also be the writing on the wall if things change down the road as the season begins. IF, and a big if, he removed the Oklahoma part of his status to show support for Caleb then he's a better teammate then ever gave him credit for.

The other aspect that has to be taken into consideration is the NIL side of it. I just stumbled on a site (fansided.com for what its worth) that indicated he could be worth $827,102 dollars annually at OU now whether that's legit or not I have no clue, but if that's the case I could think of hundreds of thousands of reasons for him to transfer that wouldn't be made in the best interest of legitimately competing for a starting spot. It's definitely a new game.
Yeah, that NIL has to come with handcuffs.

"If you transferred him in in the spring at Iowa, he competes for the job with Petras in the fall, and worse case scenario for him has two years (probably one) as qb1 for a team with junior/senior tackles, a junior center, and a junior guard if he doesn't beat out Petras, and a pretty good defensive line, or he transfers to a team that guarantees him a starting spot, like say, Ole Miss or Cincinnati or USC."

C'mon man! 1-2 yrs? That's not nearly enough time for Kirk and Brian to F him up at that position before he would graduate.

To be serious, it's my understanding that Rattler really doesn't play that disciplined at the QB position, such as constantly leaving the pocket, or have the best mechanics.

This would not interest KF at all, IMO.

To be serious, it's my understanding that Rattler really doesn't play that disciplined at the QB position, such as constantly leaving the pocket, or have the best mechanics.

This would not interest KF at all, IMO.
What is this "pocket" thing you speak of, and how do I get one?

https://fansided.com/2021/10/21/spencer-rattler-caleb-williams-instagram-oklahoma/amp/

Immediately after getting benched he unfollowed his teammate and fellow QB like a little third grader.

Kid’s a petty little douche. Would not fit here.

He’s more worried about his agent and his free vehicles than being a teammate. Iowa doesn’t operate I like that and no way should they sell their soul for some punk no matter how good he is
Fry, have you ever been in a rivalry over something you wanted with another guy that you had to play nice with, and he got the thing you were both after by taking it from you?

Maybe it was a girl, your wife,, your job, your bowling or golfing league title? Anything?

How would you feel having that guy post pictures of him making out with your girl that he stole from all the time on social media and you are expected to follow those pictures on social media, and even like them?

https://fansided.com/2021/10/21/spencer-rattler-caleb-williams-instagram-oklahoma/amp/

Immediately after getting benched he unfollowed his teammate and fellow QB like a little third grader.

Kid’s a petty little douche. Would not fit here.

He’s more worried about his agent and his free vehicles than being a teammate. Iowa doesn’t operate I like that and no way should they sell their soul for some punk no matter how good he is
This is a bunch of nothing. The guy was hyped as a Heisman candidate and he lost his job to a freshman. These reactions are typical yet I see him on the sideline encouraging his team against Kansas.

Having said that you really have nothing to worry about, no way he’d ever even consider coming to Iowa.

This is a bunch of nothing. The guy was hyped as a Heisman candidate and he lost his job to a freshman. These reactions are typical yet I see him on the sideline encouraging his team against Kansas.

Having said that you really have nothing to worry about, no way he’d ever even consider coming to Iowa.
There’s also no way Kirk Ferentz would ever consider taking him if he wanted to come here.

Doors close doors open, it's the new norm, like the Dr. Pepper commercial it's easy to see someones's not a good fit when he doesn't choose you or wants to leave your schood and then the negative smearing begins. The reason Rattler isn't coming to Iowa is Kirk won't make any promises to anyone who is not his starting QB. Even Eppy had to wait his turn. After the Oliver experience I am skeptical of the portal as well but it is the future and the present. If someone wants to come to Iowa I'm sure Kirk has conditions.