David Bell vs Iowa

Healzya

Here is some sickening stats. Just refuse to double team the guy though.

YearRECYDSAVGLNGTD
2019​
13​
197​
15.2​
54​
1​
2020​
13​
121​
9.3​
22​
3​
2021​
11​
240​
21.8​
60​
1​
Averages
12.33333333​
186​
15.43333333​
45.33333333​
1.666666667​

Here is some sickening stats. Just refuse to double team the guy though.

YearRECYDSAVGLNGTD
2019​
13​
197​
15.2​
54​
1​
2020​
13​
121​
9.3​
22​
3​
2021​
11​
240​
21.8​
60​
1​
Averages
12.33333333​
186​
15.43333333​
45.33333333​
1.666666667​
Criminal.

Maybe all of Iowa's remaining opponents can rent Bell for one week so he plays nobody but Iowa the rest of the year...

I mean, what is Brohm doing that doesn't work against many others, or that other league coaches can't replicate when they prepare for us. David Bell can't be any better than Dotson from Penn State or some of Minnesota's stud WR's. Yet we keep them under wraps. Purdue seems to work the sidelines well against us and Brohm isn't afraid to take shots downfield and their wide outs have always had subtle ways of getting, ahem, separation on our DB's and maybe it's the combination of all of the above and other variables that create geometric combinations that bounce off each other.

One more thing. I would love to see time of possession stats vs them since 2017. I bet they aren't pretty. They always seem to be on the field when we play them. But again, why aren't other coaches taking notes and replicating this? It's obviously the way to beat us.

Maybe all of Iowa's remaining opponents can rent Bell for one week so he plays nobody but Iowa the rest of the year...

I mean, what is Brohm doing that doesn't work against many others, or that other league coaches can't replicate when they prepare for us. David Bell can't be any better than Dotson from Penn State or some of Minnesota's stud WR's. Yet we keep them under wraps. Purdue seems to work the sidelines well against us and Brohm isn't afraid to take shots downfield and their wide outs have always had subtle ways of getting, ahem, separation on our DB's and maybe it's the combination of all of the above and other variables that create geometric combinations that bounce off each other.

One more thing. I would love to see time of possession stats vs them since 2017. I bet they aren't pretty. They always seem to be on the field when we play them. But again, why aren't other coaches taking notes and replicating this? It's obviously the way to beat us.
I agree with everything you said. I have wondered how they will attack us without David Bell. I guess I have some fantasy that it won't be nearly as bad as it's been the last three years. He is a really good receiver who runs great routes and knows where to sit down to get open within the zone defense.

I can't help but think how much better our offense would be if we had David Bell, wasn't Iowa in his top 2 and he picked Purdue?

I can't help but think how much better our offense would be if we had David Bell, wasn't Iowa in his top 2 and he picked Purdue?

Or how much better our offense would be with great pass blocking (which we do not have this year) and much better passing routes and trees, ala Jeff Brohm who was a passing game wizard before he got to Purdue (meaning Brian F's passing routes are few and not that great although he pulls one out of the playbook like agaisnt PSU).

Or how much better our offense would be with great pass blocking (which we do not have this year) and much better passing routes and trees, ala Jeff Brohm who was a passing game wizard before he got to Purdue (meaning Brian F's passing routes are few and not that great although he pulls one out of the playbook like agaisnt PSU).

Oops, my bad...I thought this thread was about David Bell, not a bitch session over the rest of the team struggles.

Oops, my bad...I thought this thread was about David Bell, not a bitch session over the rest of the team struggles.

First of all threads on this site are hijacked all the time, completely hijacked.

And I was giving a reason why Bell has done so well against us, QBs with time to throw and he is a great receiver.

Did you hear Brohm's postgame comments that "I was surprised they (Iowa) did not double cover him a lot of the time". There you go, you have to take away their best weapon and we tried with single coverage and I am sure PParker thought we would pressure their QBs better but it did not work out.

First of all threads on this site are hijacked all the time, completely hijacked.

And I was giving a reason why Bell has done so well against us, QBs with time to throw and he is a great receiver.

Did you hear Brohm's postgame comments that "I was surprised they (Iowa) did not double cover him a lot of the time". There you go, you have to take away their best weapon and we tried with single coverage and I am sure PParker thought we would pressure their QBs better but it did not work out.
That was interesting comments from Brohm. Almost like he even could not believe how Iowa could have fucked this game up so much from a strategy point of view.

I was only dreaming on Bell, not commenting on the game at all.

As others have mentioned, would he be that dude if he came to Iowa? Don't know the answer to that, but there are compelling arguments on both sides.

As others have mentioned, would he be that dude if he came to Iowa? Don't know the answer to that, but there are compelling arguments on both sides.

Why wouldn't he be? He is an amazing route runner and can catch a football. Hopefully he's playing on Sundays next year.

Why wouldn't he be? He is an amazing route runner and can catch a football. Hopefully he's playing on Sundays next year.

He is definitely a pro. He feels like a 2nd or 3rd round pick now. He goes to Iowa and he feels like a 5th or 6th round pick based on what Iowa would ask of him.

I have the same questions. If this game was not to some degree an anomaly, then Purdue should be highly ranked and maybe undefeated, right? Purdue operates against Iowa the way Iowa strives to operate every game: Ball control, run the clock, but with the pass, not the run. Iowa ran 6 plays in the 3rd Quarter. After that, , the game was over.

Bell is adept at getting open against the Bend Don't Break Defensive Style

Not only that but he is adept at avoiding contact after catching the ball

He B a Slippery Kat

DIfficult to put a punishing hit on him

Extremely frustrating to watch

Really wanted to see him carried off the field on a stretcher

Bell is adept at getting open against the Bend Don't Break Defensive Style

Not only that but he is adept at avoiding contact after catching the ball

He B a Slippery Kat

DIfficult to put a punishing hit on him

Extremely frustrating to watch

Really wanted to see him carried off the field on a stretcher
I wanted Phil Parker carried off on a stretcher when I saw Jestin Jacobs trying to cover Bell on a crossing route...

I mean Phil is a stud, and Jestin is one in the making, but WTF?

Is no one on HN going to mention that our best DB is hurt and not playing?

The thought did go through my mind but I find it hard to believe that the loss of 1 DB results in 378 passing yards. I was under the impression that there would not be a huge drop off from Moss to Roberts.

Our depth must really suck if 1 injury can cause that much damage to our defense.

Teams like Purdue are completely content with throwing 4 yard passes over and over. Same with Northwestern. Almost all other teams run an offense with some short plays mixed in with deeper shots, and Iowa takes advantage of those risky deeper plays. Iowa's DBs almost always give a 5-8 yard cushion on the line. It's just a horrible formula for Iowa against these dink and dunk teams.

Now if Iowa would switch up to a tight man to man when playing these teams it would be a drastically different game. That's why these bad teams get blown out by everyone else in the Big with any talent. They get tight up on the receivers and against average to below average QB and receivers they just suffocate all of the short crap. Now a receiver like David Bell can still get open but you just double him.

I think it really comes down to Iowa being stubborn and not changing their strategy against these teams.

PurdueIowa
2017​
26:17:00​
33:43:00​
2018​
26:03:00​
33:57:00​
2019​
24:22:00​
35:38:00​
2020​
30:11:00​