Recruiting struggles continue

longtimer

I see where Allen the DL committed to Illinois. I think it was down to Iowa and Illinois and I think they maybe came on at the end. We did pick up a very good RB out of Florida but overall seem to be losing more than usual. Maybe we will pull out and finish strong but one has to wonder if the turmoil and Ferentz's age has become a factor?

I see where Allen the DL committed to Illinois. I think it was down to Iowa and Illinois and I think they maybe came on at the end. We did pick up a very good RB out of Florida but overall seem to be losing more than usual. Maybe we will pull out and finish strong but one has to wonder if the turmoil and Ferentz's age has become a factor?
Good goddamn lord. This again?

I am not sure how highly sought after this Allen was but Kirk doesnt have a great history of getting highly ranked recruits and recruiting results. The hawks get their fare share of good solid athletes and then develop them into some top players.

I see Brian Allen as a "good to have but don't need" recruit. He plays D-line and is a 3 star (.8577). We already have two D-linemen that are ranked higher: Caden Crawford is a 3 star (.8763) and Aaron Graves who is a 4 start (.9531).

I'll reserve some judgement till we get a little further along. If Iowa can land the 2 SE Polk studs and Kyler Kasper (from what I've been seeing we are as in the race for them all as can be) Those 3 would be such huge huge gets alone and would only snowball into getting some more good ones.

The 2 SE kids are both 5 stars for peats sake and the Kasper kid may very well end up being one I think he's a 4 currently. But he's 6'5 plus already as a junior and a freak of an athlete. With his dads work ethic instilled in him the sky is the limit for him I bet. So he's class of 23 but we have to get him and then USE HIM!!!

6'5 Wide Receiver | Kyler Kasper | Gilbert (AZ) Only a Sophomore !! | Kid is CRAZY Athletic - YouTube

When you have moved into the “reload” mode, recruiting becomes more specific to needs than ever. In many positions, that is where Iowa is at this point.

When you have moved into the “reload” mode, recruiting becomes more specific to needs than ever. In many positions, that is where Iowa is at this point.
True. Iowa will always be a developmental program obviously too. This yr we are working in 4 pretty new Olineman actually more then that with how they are rotating others in. The tackle position is just a tough place to plug inexperienced new guys. (even Wirfs wasn't dominant day 1)

It is interesting how some schools are bringing in trasfering Qbs with the mixed bag of success some have with that. We lose a QB it seems like if not every yr to it every other to the portal but rarely ever bring one in. I suspect that's due to a combination of things. Coaches prefer not to and other Qbs don't look at Iowa as a destination spot either. But man could you imagine if we had a good QB this yr with this team?... Feels like the missing piece to me

True. Iowa will always be a developmental program obviously too. This yr we are working in 4 pretty new Olineman actually more then that with how they are rotating others in. The tackle position is just a tough place to plug inexperienced new guys. (even Wirfs wasn't dominant day 1)

It is interesting how some schools are bringing in trasfering Qbs with the mixed bag of success some have with that. We lose a QB it seems like if not every yr to it every other to the portal but rarely ever bring one in. I suspect that's due to a combination of things. Coaches prefer not to and other Qbs don't look at Iowa as a destination spot either. But man could you imagine if we had a good QB this yr with this team?... Feels like the missing piece to me
I live in Wisconsin. They have not been happy with any of their QB’s as far back as I can remember. And they were winning a lot of games with the QB’s they bashed. The one exception is the transfer, one year wonder, who went on to the NFL. Russell Wilson. He was/is a remarkable QB. I guess I would ask you how many more games does Spencer have to win to gain approval. Likely to be 10 in a row this Saturday. Probably 11 with a win at Maryland. Maybe ends with Penn St. I know he is not an All American, but I sure see parallels to Wisconsin’s winning seasons albeit with disgruntled fans. Nate took some heavy criticism, too. But he won a lot of games. If we are convinced that QB’s are the most important cog in the wheel, we should focus on the win-loss records.

Last edited:
I think we have really good young Qbs that just are not ready. The Pro style system Iowa runs is harder to come in and learn like the RPO and air raid offenses.
I dont see the point of discussing QB transfers at this point. This year we will go as far as Petras takes us. Next year can go two ways, Petras gets better and is not a liability (not sure if he is at this time) or this year our offense/petras doesn't get better and we have a QB battle next year between Padilla/Hogan/Petras.

I live in Wisconsin. They have not been happy with any of their QB’s as far back as I can remember. And they were winning a lot of games with the QB’s they bashed. The one exception is the transfer, one year wonder, who went on to the NFL. Russell Wilson. He was/is a remarkable QB. I guess I would ask you how many more games does Spencer have to win to gain approval. Likely to be 10 in a row this Saturday. Probably 11 with a win at Maryland. Maybe ends with Penn St. I know he is not an All American, but I sure see parallels to Wisconsin’s winning seasons albeit with disgruntled fans. Nate took some heavy criticism, too. But he won a lot of games. If we are convinced that QB’s are the most important cog in the wheel, we should focus on the win-loss records.
It's not about winning X amount of games to win me over. I'm just wondering if he's hit his ceiling development wise. Is he going to get better or is this what he is? After last yr having the off season of full practices I was of the hope we'd see significant improvement in his game. But I don't think anyone can point to something to say that's happened. Having a qb like this puts a ceiling on how high the team can go I think. For the rest of the team to compensate for that over the course of a season is a lot to ask. An offense not stretching the field much more then 15 yards of the LOS makes us easier to game plan for and defend and the more tape we have showing that the easier the PSUs Wiskys etc will have at coming at us.

It'll be frustrating to be this close to say making the playoffs by having your QB being the weak link if that's what ends up happening. And yeah I'm sure Wisky fans feel similar and have for longer. Besides Wilson we've had better Qbs then them most of the time and nobody is arguing we've had any All Americans at the position (besides Banks but hell that's been 19 yrs ago already). For a team to be really good and win despite their QB holding them back isn't a new thing. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl handing off and making just 1 or 2 meaningful throws a game. So nothings impossible

Kirby Smart was asked about recruiting after Georgia's win over Florida, and responded by saying he and his staff are always focused on recruiting.

"If you don't recruit, there's no coach out there that can outcoach recruiting," Smart said. "I don't care who you are. The best coach to ever play the game better be a good recruiter because no coaching is going to outcoach players. Anybody will tell you that our defense is good because we have good players."

Petras, Padilla, Hogan………..see one of them leaving by next season. Some media reporting Labas is getting staff's attention with his abilities thus far.