Who will be the new coach

Unless things drastically change it will be BF and in Ferentz. He kept his job. That in itself is telling. KF kept his job. That is telling.

Is Kirk going to do a Joe Pa, Bobby Bowden, or Bear Bryant and stay until he is 80ish?

Every year he coaches he adds to the money flow to his family and makes their futures very monetarily stable which I think is big for him and his wife.
I don't. My guess is he finishes this contract (assuming things don't go off the rails) and that'll be it.

The other question that goes with this is how long is Barta going to be AD? Who has confidence in him making the decision/hire? Kinda hope they are done at the same time and we hire a new AD with a clean slate for hiring a coach.

I don't. My guess is he finishes this contract (assuming things don't go off the rails) and that'll be it.

The other question that goes with this is how long is Barta going to be AD? Who has confidence in him making the decision/hire? Kinda hope they are done at the same time and we hire a new AD with a clean slate for hiring a coach
I'm thinking Barta and Kirk will retire around the same time. Nothing more than a hunch.

I'm thinking Barta and Kirk will retire around the same time. Nothing more than a hunch.
It's as good of one anyone else can have. I just hope in the mean time we don't get hammered in recruiting due to KFs time being numbered. It got used against Joe P quite a bit and these next couple yrs I don't see why other coaches wouldn't do it to us.

It's as good of one anyone else can have. I just hope in the mean time we don't get hammered in recruiting due to KFs time being numbered. It got used against Joe P quite a bit and these next couple yrs I don't see why other coaches wouldn't do it to us.

I think using the one year extension to contracts every year to keep the active years on the contract at 4 or 5 is a good message to send to potential recruits. It can generally make the point that the head coach plans to be here for 4 or 5 years. And it is more important with an aged head coach who could still be there for 10 years but people have questions if they will be.

I think using the one year extension to contracts every year to keep the active years on the contract at 4 or 5 is a good message to send to potential recruits. It can generally make the point that the head coach plans to be here for 4 or 5 years. And it is more important with an aged head coach who could still be there for 10 years but people have questions if they will be.
Extensions are fine and most schools do that. But it will be hard for KF to sit in a kid's living room with his parents and tell them he'll be there for the next 4 years when he knows that he is probably not going to be.

He has to have some idea of when he will hang it up. Plenty of coaches have lied through their teeth on this issue, not sure how KF will handle it. And even if they do extend his contract, other coaches will continue to negative recruit on his nearing retirement.

The way around it is to name a "coach-in-waiting". But that has to be an assistant and I'm not sure Barta is ready to give that title to someone on this staff. (Hint: BF).

Extensions are fine and most schools do that. But it will be hard for KF to sit in a kid's living room with his parents and tell them he'll be there for the next 4 years when he knows that he is probably not going to be.
I haven't had a coach in my living room recruiting me, but I'd have a damn hard time believing any major P5 coach would tell a recruit he's going to be anywhere for 4 years, especially in today's world. Recruits, their families, and their advisors know damn well major college coaches are fired at the drop of a hat these days, especially if they've been in the game long enough to be at the point where Harbaugh or Ferentz or Franklin are in their living rooms.

I haven't had a coach in my living room recruiting me, but I'd have a damn hard time believing any major P5 coach would tell a recruit he's going to be anywhere for 4 years, especially in today's world. Recruits, their families, and their advisors know damn well major college coaches are fired at the drop of a hat these days, especially if they've been in the game long enough to be at the point where Harbaugh or Ferentz or Franklin are in their living rooms.
Oh I think most all do. They all read the room of who they are talking to and lie lie lie with what they think they can sell. Common sense sure says you shouldn't and maybe more are recruiting more honestly then I think. I just think KF is an enigma in that world. Pat Fitzgerald I think is a strait shooter. But not many others.

Do families buy any of it? That's a different deal and I'd sure hope not. How many coaches have been at their current jobs 6 yrs or more now? I can't imagine it's a high percentage.

I agree that most coaches probably don't say that to recruits but KF is a little different than the typical P5 head coach. Been here 23 years, virtually no chance of getting fired and not jumping to another job. You can bet recruits ask the question, especially at his age. And I've seen in some of this website's interviews with recruits and they mention the stability of the coaching staff, implying that there won't be a change.

If precedent holds, it will be someone we've never heard of. Nobody heard of Hayden Fry and nobody heard of Kirk Ferentz before they were hired.

But first, there will be a new president (not sure where that is), then there will be a new AD.

I doubt KF will just surprise everyone and walk away like Stoops did, unless he had a well orchestrated succession plan. I don't think he has that in place. I don't see anyone on the staff who could take over...but what do I know.