Things seem to be getting interesting in Green Bay

kicker22

Great way to start draft weekend with the biggest headline not being draft related. I despise Rodgers and Green Bay so I can't seem to come to a conclusion. Was Green Bay not supposed to draft a QB early last year? Regardless of MVP season or not I'm not sure how bypass Love if they truly believed he's their QB in the waiting. Don't really expect Rodgers to be thrilled about it, but at the same time hard don't really see how he can bitch about not getting offensive weapons in skill positions when his contract is the reason they don't necessarily have the cap space to get them through free agency.

I'm also wondering as someone who grew up a Bears fan, but gave up on them due to their inept offense and inability to get a legitimate QB, did their move to trade up to get Fields have something to do with Rodgers wanting out and the division being essentially open for the taking? Just don't see where the Daulton signing fits into the equation as I thought it was a terrible investment then and do so to this day. I've always been big on Fields so really think Chicago finally got something right.

Definitely interested to see how things play out the remainder of the weekend/off season in the NFC Central. Personally I'd love to see Rodgers traded to a shit franchise with no O-line and Green Bay come out in a better place, but knocked off their pedestal in the NFC.

I am a Packer fan. Had to sign a loyalty oath to get a drivers license when I moved from Iowa to WI. I obviously like what Rogers has done for the Pack. I find it more than a little strange that he was frustrated when the team drafted a QB. After all, Rogers was indeed a QB in waiting for several years in Brett’s days.

I guess my take is that the salary cap keeps things competitive. The NFL is a business and these individuals are the best in their fields and should get paid. That said, IMO the time to get paid is immediately after their rookie contract. After they hit that mega contract, the question then becomes what to do now. Do they take a greed approach in which they go for a max deal, knowing damn well that in doing so they are strapping the organization and limiting the resources to put together a championship caliber team or do they sign a modest extension that benefits the team and gives them the ability to bring in additional talent to win now?

Aaron made his choice and in doing so, which directly impacted their inability to bring in big name free agents. The fact he's on the downward slope in his career, there is absolutely no reason to think that management wouldn't/shouldn't begin looking to their QB of the future.

I guess the way I see it Rodgers made his choice and made his allegiance to Green Bay known, that he was way more loyal to Aaron Rodgers then he ever was to the Packers organization. Which is fine, but then he shouldn't act surprised when he's not surrounded by the talent that feels is appropriate. I can't imagine what his current teammates think.

Great way to start draft weekend with the biggest headline not being draft related. I despise Rodgers and Green Bay so I can't seem to come to a conclusion. Was Green Bay not supposed to draft a QB early last year? Regardless of MVP season or not I'm not sure how bypass Love if they truly believed he's their QB in the waiting. Don't really expect Rodgers to be thrilled about it, but at the same time hard don't really see how he can bitch about not getting offensive weapons in skill positions when his contract is the reason they don't necessarily have the cap space to get them through free agency.

I'm also wondering as someone who grew up a Bears fan, but gave up on them due to their inept offense and inability to get a legitimate QB, did their move to trade up to get Fields have something to do with Rodgers wanting out and the division being essentially open for the taking? Just don't see where the Daulton signing fits into the equation as I thought it was a terrible investment then and do so to this day. I've always been big on Fields so really think Chicago finally got something right.

Definitely interested to see how things play out the remainder of the weekend/off season in the NFC Central. Personally I'd love to see Rodgers traded to a shit franchise with no O-line and Green Bay come out in a better place, but knocked off their pedestal in the NFC.
Love this topic I'm a 49er fan so I preface my 2 cents with that. I found it odd as hell what GB did drafting Love like that. Because Rodgers was what 35 when they did that. He's stated he wants to play quite awhile longer yet. To me if a guy has 4 plus yrs of great football ahead of him and he's a HOF level MVP qb you don't use a 1st rd pick on his replacement so he can sit and watch for the duration of his rookie contract. That's a waste of both the pick and the kids career. I get it Steve Young and Rodgers both kinda did that but it's different now and as easily moveable as QBs are you don't need to do that. It's a poor strategy in regards to building your team and getting value out of your draft picks.

How they've gone about drafting and building around him made little sense either. It felt like GB was going out of their way to piss Rodgers off. But that's just me and I see why Rodgers has had enough. And who knows what we don't know in regards to their direct communication.

He's under contract through 2023 but could be cut for a minimal hit. I don't see GB ever just doing that though. No team would. So either they try and trade him or make him hold out. If Rodgers retires he'd owe like 22 million back to the team. It's unreal so that seems extreme. Something has to give that's all i know

Love this topic I'm a 49er fan so I preface my 2 cents with that. I found it odd as hell what GB did drafting Love like that. Because Rodgers was what 35 when they did that. He's stated he wants to play quite awhile longer yet. To me if a guy has 4 plus yrs of great football ahead of him and he's a HOF level MVP qb you don't use a 1st rd pick on his replacement so he can sit and watch for the duration of his rookie contract. That's a waste of both the pick and the kids career. I get it Steve Young and Rodgers both kinda did that but it's different now and as easily moveable as QBs are you don't need to do that. It's a poor strategy in regards to building your team and getting value out of your draft picks.

How they've gone about drafting and building around him made little sense either. It felt like GB was going out of their way to piss Rodgers off. But that's just me and I see why Rodgers has had enough. And who knows what we don't know in regards to their direct communication.

He's under contract through 2023 but could be cut for a minimal hit. I don't see GB ever just doing that though. No team would. So either they try and trade him or make him hold out. If Rodgers retires he'd owe like 22 million back to the team. It's unreal so that seems extreme. Something has to give that's all i know

So being a Niners fan and the fact that there was speculation they made a huge push for Rodgers including the #3 pick last night, would that have been a trade you'd of wanted?

Regardless of drafting Love, his flirting with Jeopardy is a major sign that he's exploring options after football and that the end may be near. I think if Green Bay didn't go after Love and continued to bypass on QB after QB, because they didn't want to hurt his feelings, then they find themselves signing a multi-year deal $20 Million deal after incentives with someone like Andy Dalton (sorry for the cheap shot Bears fans), because no big name QB really wants to come to Green Bay with their stable of unknown, but serviceable receivers.

I think the amount Green Bay sacrificed to hold on to him ended up biting them in the ass and their f'd now because of it.

So being a Niners fan and the fact that there was speculation they made a huge push for Rodgers including the #3 pick last night, would that have been a trade you'd of wanted?

Regardless of drafting Love, his flirting with Jeopardy is a major sign that he's exploring options after football and that the end may be near. I think if Green Bay didn't go after Love and continued to bypass on QB after QB, because they didn't want to hurt his feelings, then they find themselves signing a multi-year deal $20 Million deal after incentives with someone like Andy Dalton (sorry for the cheap shot Bears fans), because no big name QB really wants to come to Green Bay with their stable of unknown, but serviceable receivers.

I think the amount Green Bay sacrificed to hold on to him ended up biting them in the ass and their f'd now because of it.
When all that news started breaking I got excited initially thinking that'd be awesome to get him. I'd have been cool with it I think. That said I'm also pretty cool with it not happening since they drafted Lance instead of Jones like a lot of media folks had been talking about. Had they taken Jones I'd have been pissed off. It was between Fields and Lance to me as a coin flip.

I suppose the Jeapordy thing could be looked at that way. But I mean lots of guys have off the field interests. But heck he may not get that fulltime gig. I don't think that's a foregone thing.

And yeah GB other then Reggie White (the first modern FA ever I think) hasn't really been a FA hot spot. That isn't changing. So that puts a lot of pressure on drafting well not just at QB. Getting in a pissing match with your franchise HOF qb doesn't bode well either for trying to get anyone to want to come there. So they've got a mess. We'll see how stubborn both sides are. He's got like 2 more yrs under contract it's not like Rodgers has a ton of leverage in that way.... But he could just retire and say F it maybe. Who knows.. Off season is gonna be interesting it already is

When all that news started breaking I got excited initially thinking that'd be awesome to get him. I'd have been cool with it I think. That said I'm also pretty cool with it not happening since they drafted Lance instead of Jones like a lot of media folks had been talking about. Had they taken Jones I'd have been pissed off. It was between Fields and Lance to me as a coin flip.

I suppose the Jeapordy thing could be looked at that way. But I mean lots of guys have off the field interests. But heck he may not get that fulltime gig. I don't think that's a foregone thing.

And yeah GB other then Reggie White (the first modern FA ever I think) hasn't really been a FA hot spot. That isn't changing. So that puts a lot of pressure on drafting well not just at QB. Getting in a pissing match with your franchise HOF qb doesn't bode well either for trying to get anyone to want to come there. So they've got a mess. We'll see how stubborn both sides are. He's got like 2 more yrs under contract it's not like Rodgers has a ton of leverage in that way.... But he could just retire and say F it maybe. Who knows.. Off season is gonna be interesting it already is

I've just never liked the guy so biased lol

Drama, drama, drama,drama

What are the odds that Green Bay gets 50+ straight years of 1st ballot, hall of fame quarterback play? I would say the odds are not very good. Why not try to appease Rodgers and milk this out as long as you can.

I am a Steeler fan and all the baggage that comes with Big Ben...as long as he wants to play and the arm/health holds up...sign me up, let him be the quarterback. I am in the minority, you avoid getting on the hamster wheel of trying to find the next guy until you absolutely have too.

What are the odds that Green Bay gets 50+ straight years of 1st ballot, hall of fame quarterback play? I would say the odds are not very good. Why not try to appease Rodgers and milk this out as long as you can.

I am a Steeler fan and all the baggage that comes with Big Ben...as long as he wants to play and the arm/health holds up...sign me up, let him be the quarterback. I am in the minority, you avoid getting on the hamster wheel of trying to find the next guy until you absolutely have too.
That's exactly what searching for QBs is too. You're either lucky/good or you're bad at coaching them and they aren't any good. Teams like the Bears and Jets that have spent generations chasing their tails for a QB show ya what the bottom can look like. Teams are just so trigger happy to make changes too with coaching staffs that the QBs that are tied at the hip to them have little chance of succeeding when tat happens.

I get the logic, but at what age do you have to go out and find the future replacement? I have no problem with Green Bay's decision to hang on to him, but I have zero problem with Green Bay drafting Love either. Like him or hate him Rodger's is a Hall of Famer, so there's no reason to think that Love was brought in to push him out. The only thing that he has no control of beating out is father time and at his age the clock is ticking. So in a small market like GB I don't think its fair to say GB should just sit idly still until Rodgers decides to hang it up and then go with whatever fresh meat they can get their hands on at the last minute when he hangs it up.

As I said never been a Rodgers fan or a GB fan for that matter, but in my opinion Rodger's tends to forget there was football in GB before he got there and there will continue to be football there once he's gone. I think all he did was show his true colors and who he really is.