CHAMPIONS!!!!!

Hope Spencer can get a Championship. Maybe this will be a cal for all the Seniors to come back for 1 more year. Spencer has already said he is coming back! Damn nice to get that National Title back to City! Go Hawks!!

I should be somewhere between happy and ecstatic about finally getting back on the top of the podium. But I'm not. We needed a young man with a torn ACL to gut it out to win our only individual national championship - and plenty of bonus points earlier so that Saturday night didn't matter. Otherwise, this was headed towards an abject disaster.

Admittedly, with what Tony Cassioppi had to face at 285, I'm quite satisfied with how he did. Same with Jacob Warner at 197. And I'm just sick over what happened to Marinelli.

But aside from maybe Max Murin, who worked his butt off, just missing AA status, there isn't a single one of these guys I walk away from happy with how they did. Eierman and Kemerer fought SO well up until the finals, then hemmed and hawed around, almost willing themselves to lose until they finally did to wrestlers they had already beaten. Ditto to DeSanto in the semi-finals. Quadruple ditto to Kaleb Young, who looked impressive the few times he came out and actually wrestled, but did so only very infrequently.

We must have come close to some kind of record losing 3-2 matches where the opponent gets the first takedown in the first minute of the match - and then that ends up being the only takedown of the whole match. That is not - repeat NOT Iowa wrestling.

OK, we won - and this sport is REALLY tough - I get it. But just once, if our guys were going to lose, I would have loved to have seen 11-10 matches rather than the predictable chorus of 3-2 in regulation or 3-1 in S.V.

On to next year, as defending champions. What happens now? And with whom?

I should be somewhere between happy and ecstatic about finally getting back on the top of the podium. But I'm not. We needed a young man with a torn ACL to gut it out to win our only individual national championship - and plenty of bonus points earlier so that Saturday night didn't matter. Otherwise, this was headed towards an abject disaster.

Admittedly, with what Tony Cassioppi had to face at 285, I'm quite satisfied with how he did. Same with Jacob Warner at 197. And I'm just sick over what happened to Marinelli.

But aside from maybe Max Murin, who worked his butt off, just missing AA status, there isn't a single one of these guys I walk away from happy with how they did. Eierman and Kemerer fought SO well up until the finals, then hemmed and hawed around, almost willing themselves to lose until they finally did to wrestlers they had already beaten. Ditto to DeSanto in the semi-finals. Quadruple ditto to Kaleb Young, who looked impressive the few times he came out and actually wrestled, but did so only very infrequently.

We must have come close to some kind ofNot sue opponent gets the first takedown in the first minute of the match - and then that ends up being the only takedown of the whole match. That is not - repeat NOT Iowa wrestling.

OK, we won - and this sport is REALLY tough - I get it. But just once, if our guys were going to lose, I would have loved to have seen 11-10 matches rather than the predictable chorus of 3-2 in regulation or 3-1 in S.V.

Really not sure why some of IOWA'S top wrestlers stopped attacking. Marinelli did absolutely nothing in his quarter final match. This has been a trend in Iowa wrestling for some time now. Iowa used to win virtually all of the tight matches with aggressive 3rd period dominance. Not so anymore. If a match goes to the third period in a tie or one point situation, I expect Iowa to lose the match.

We must have come close to some kind of record losing 3-2 matches where the opponent gets the first takedown in the first minute of the match - and then that ends up being the only takedown of the whole match. That is not - repeat NOT Iowa wrestling.

1) Why do you change your font every post?

2) “OK, we won - and this sport is REALLY tough - I get it. But just once, if our guys were going to lose, I would have loved to have seen 11-10 matches rather than the predictable chorus of 3-2 in regulation or 3-1 in S.V.”

You must not follow collegiate wrestling

He revealed his torn ACL and how he didnt have an ACLs.

Then he said he wasnt making excuses and then this epic line "Excuses are for wusses"
Yep did hear that. Not sure what our other two finalists deals were. they had intact knees. And had already beaten the two PSU guys this season.

1) Why do you change your font in every post?

You must not follow collegiate wrestling
1. It is a habit - I do the same thing with my e-mails. And unless it is messing up someone's computer or is in a foreign language, why would the moderator care?

2. Don't embarrass yourself. I've followed Hawkeye wrestling all the way back to the Kurdelmeier era. I can tell you of the legacy and reputation of almost every Iowa All American through the years, including key matches they won and lost. I even recall some of the non-Iowa wrestlers who factored into us winning national championships, like Lee Kemp of Wisconsin in 1978. To say I don't follow collegiate wrestling is beyond uninformed - and WAY beneath the dignity of someone who is supposed to be the moderator.

Bottom line is they have even made rule changes regarding stalling to try to avert these endless 3-1 and 3-2 matches. But the officials just won't call the matches the way the rules state. And never was that more obvious than in the Spencer Lee championship match. His opponent, by rule, should have been stalled into disqualification by the end of the 1st period. And if you do follow other matches, you do see the 11-10 matches I am referring to.

Look I don't know who you are or when you took this board over. But I know no one on this board anymore. And I have better things to do with my time than to have to reply to foolishness like this. Enjoy your moderation. I'm over and out. If there is a process to withdraw, send it to my e-mail.

2. Don't embarrass yourself. I've followed Hawkeye wrestling all the way back to the Kurdelmeier era. I can tell you of the legacy and reputation of almost every Iowa All American through the years, including key matches they won and lost. I even recall some of the non-Iowa wrestlers who factored into us winning national championships, like Lee Kemp of Wisconsin in 1978. To say I don't follow collegiate wrestling is beyond uninformed - and WAY beneath the dignity of someone who is supposed to be the moderator.

Bottom line is they have even made rule changes regarding stalling to try to avert these endless 3-1 and 3-2 matches. But the officials just won't call the matches the way the rules state. And never was that more obvious than in the Spencer Lee championship match. His opponent, by rule, should have been stalled into disqualification by the end of the 1st period. And if you do follow other matches, you do see the 11-10 matches I am referring to.
I'm not embarrassed at all.

If you follow wrestling you'd see that nothing about folkstyle encourages scoring points. At all. Even with the stalling rules called as they're written.

Also if you follow wrestling you'll know the reason there's no scoring in folkstyle anymore is because wrestlers at the elite level are smart enough and good enough defensively to be able to game the system. Guys are good enough at that level to ride opponents ad nausem, run out of bounds if they're caught (legal whether you think stalling covers it or not), and the risk reward for takedown shots is ridiculously in favor of just not shooting at all until the last seconds of the match. You know why Kaleb Young dances for three periods and never takes a shot? Because he knows if he shoots and gets reversed he's going to get ridden for the rest of that period and possibly have to start the next period in the down position. In that situation, either way it goes there's no scoring...he dances (no points) or get rolled (no points because there's a huge chance he gets ridden out, and a possible escape isn't worth the risk of shooting and missing against an opponent who's obviously got good TD defense. Even Spencer Lee has to give up positions to keep scoring ridiculous points that he does. He either has to cut a guy loose and give up a point, or roll a guy and move back to a neutral position to do it again. Why not stand up and just wrestle? hint, hint, hint....

You're bitching about scoring in a sport where there's absolutely no punishment for running from your opponent, riding your opponent out the entire match, or waiting until the 3rd period to try and score when it's 0-0.

So...you want exciting wrestling? Let's give the opponent a point if you go out of bounds, get rid of the down position, get rid of riding time, and make a mandatory 30 second scoring window.

WAIT!! WHAT?? They already have that?? It's called freestyle and it's what literally every other organization in the world does except for HS and college wrestling teams. You know why everyone else on earth wrestles freestyle? Because folkstyle is corny and it encourages passivity, defense, and low scoring. But it's what we're stuck with...

And that isn't just my opinion. Just about every successful American wrestler has said on multiple occasions that the US needs to get with the program and switch to freestyle. Even just this year I've heard Spencer Lee and Eiermann both talk about how freestyle is so much better.

If you want scoring go watch freestyle, because elite folkstyle wrestlers know how to (and have the ability to) game the system. If you suggest more stalling calls, why give a guy a warning and only one point? Stalling calls very, very rarely hurt and wrestlers know it. At the end of a match if a wrestler doesn’t have a warning they literally run away from their opponent. If you feel that stalling needs to be called more, and more penalties handed out, doesn't that indicate that your sport needs rules changes to prevent it? Guess what??? Those rules changes would just turn it into freestyle so pick your poison