Iowa Extends Contract of Fran McCaffery

3 years left on his deal isn't like it expires tomorrow lol. A hell of a lot can change in 3 years. Do you really think a recruit is going to look at that and think "hmm, he's only signed for 3 years, that means he's guaranteed to be gone by the time I'm a senior." No recruit is going to think that or be concerned that Fran "only" has 3 years left.

LOL, yes they are. Jesus, what world do you guys live in?

Look at the Cyclones for example. They extended Prohm just two years ago after he made the NCAA tournament (and then promptly got upset in the 1st round). Now they're on the hook for a big buyout after the program completely tanked and they basically have no choice but to fire him.

LOL, yes they are. Jesus, what world do you guys live in?
Dude, without being rude, what world do YOU live in? 3 years is plenty of time on a contract to wait a couple of weeks and see what happens in the tournament. Come on man. These are high school kids. Unless they have reason to believe a coach is on the hot seat they aren't going to be concerned with a coach having 3 years left.

But, if Fran were to walk away to another program (and especially if they don't make a long run) I would be like whatever on to the next coach.

I think Fran got really lucky with Garza, but Fran gets credit for it.

However, if there is not a tangible accomplishment (Sweet 16, but I think really an Elite 8) I think that is problematic for long term success. That would be a red flag.
The Garza thing is the only reason we even are talking about this. Take away his 25 or whatever points a game and replace them with a normal 12-15 pts a game and we aren't even talking about the NIT.

You're looking at this in the wrong way...you have a chicken/egg problem. You want long-term success in a sport that is 90% driven by recruiting. We do not get top recruits here and we aren't ever going to. until freshman and sophomores leaving early for the NBA stop being a thing in college basketball, Iowa is going to stay where we are. Top half of the B1G most years and an occasional tournament.

Finding Luka Garza was like Fran winning the lottery in 8 states on the same day and being struck by lightning a dozen times. And all of a sudden with one good year you guys are expecting a new level of play coming from Iowa when none of the recruiting constraints has changed. And to be honest they won't change after Garza either. He's a likely G-League first, Euro second guy and those don't win you top recruits. Cockburn was the size of the guys he'd play every single day in the NBA only way better, and Garza got totally manhandled.

Bottom line, until Iowa doesn't have to take the leftovers from the recruiting table after the Dukes, Michigans, Kentuckys, and Gonzagas of the world are finished, we ain't going anywhere.

And it sure as hell isn't Fran's fault.

exactly. If Fran doesn't make the round of 32, Iowa is going to fire him? No, of course not. So, you want him to try and recruit with only 3 years on his deal? That's no good either. So, you want other schools to take him? So not a good look for Iowa as a program. This was when this deal needed to be done.
2 year extension with increased incentives for making xyz round in the tournament. He could have put that in place as well after the tournament conclusion in the event they fail to get passed the round of 32.
4 years plus 3 remaining is a long time for rope.

Dude, without being rude, what world do YOU live in? 3 years is plenty of time on a contract to wait a couple of weeks and see what happens in the tournament. Come on man. These are high school kids. Unless they have reason to believe a coach is on the hot seat they aren't going to be concerned with a coach having 3 years left.
No coaches with teams in the top 5 are sitting on 3 year deals, you're delusional.

But do you think he'd be fired for an early out? I don't, and 3 years on a contract isn't enough. So the extension was coming regardless of what happens next week. Do you want Fran to think Iowa doesn't want him if he flames out? So he does listen to suiters? Guys, I don't know if any of you understand how this works. Fran is in line for any job he wants right now and that's no joke, what he's done at Iowa is considered pretty good in circles around college basketball. He's a wanted commodity right now and guess what, he still will be after his team is done playing in the tournament regardless of how they finish.
Holy shit Fran is absolutely NOT in line for any job he wants right now. Jesus. He's not Coach K or Izzo or even Roy. Indiana wouldn't be interested in the slightest. A bunch of programs would be turned off by Fran's temperament. You are seriously overestimating Fran's appeal to other schools with coaching vacancies, IMO.

Holy shit Fran is absolutely NOT in line for any job he wants right now. Jesus. He's not Coach K or Izzo or even Roy. Indiana wouldn't be interested in the slightest. A bunch of programs would be turned off by Fran's temperament. You are seriously overestimating Fran's appeal to other schools with coaching vacancies, IMO.
I don't think he's any of those things, nor is he that caliber of coach. But he's certainly better than the 11th highest paid coach in the B1G with 3 years on his deal at a school who didn't extend him. I do think that.

The Garza thing is the only reason we even are talking about this. Take away his 25 or whatever points a game and replace them with a normal 12-15 pts a game and we aren't even talking about the NIT.

You're looking at this in the wrong way...you have a chicken/egg problem. You want long-term success in a sport that is 90% driven by recruiting. We do not get top recruits here and we aren't ever going to. until freshman and sophomores leaving early for the NBA stop being a thing in college basketball, Iowa is going to stay where we are. Top half of the B1G most years and an occasional tournament.

Finding Luka Garza was like Fran winning the lottery in 8 states on the same day and being struck by lightning a dozen times. And all of a sudden with one good year you guys are expecting a new level of play coming from Iowa when none of the recruiting constraints has changed. And to be honest they won't change after Garza either. He's a likely G-League first, Euro second guy and those don't win you top recruits. Cockburn was the size of the guys he'd play every single day in the NBA only way better, and Garza got totally manhandled.

Bottom line, until Iowa doesn't have to take the leftovers from the recruiting table after the Dukes, Michigans, Kentuckys, and Gonzagas of the world are finished, we ain't going anywhere.

And it sure as hell isn't Fran's fault.
Though I think an Elite 8, Final 4, Championship game......could really do wonders for our recruiting.

No coaches with teams in the top 5 are sitting on 3 year deals, you're delusional.
Okay so anytime a team happens to reach a top 5 ranking they should just immediately extend their coach without taking anything else into consideration?

Look, we clearly disagree, so it's probably silly for us to continue arguing, and I like you as a poster, so let's just agree to disagree.

I don't think he's any of those things, nor is he that caliber of coach. But he's certainly better than the 11th highest paid coach in the B1G with 3 years on his deal at a school who didn't extend him. I do think that.
I would agree here, Fran is better than the 11th highest paid coach. I would be ok with paying more on the yearly contract, adding more incentives, and a smaller extension.....but all in the event they fail to get passed the round of 32

I would be ok with a longer extension with a long tourney run.

But, I think all of this could be worked out after Iowa's season is done.

Okay so anytime a team happens to reach a top 5 ranking they should just immediately extend their coach without taking anything else into consideration?

Look, we clearly disagree, so it's probably silly for us to continue arguing, and I like you as a poster, so let's just agree to disagree.
Agree to disagree, but yes, if you have a coach that is woefully underpaid in the market and has just lead your team, who has been irrelevant for 3 decades to one of it's best regular seasons and earned a top 5 seed, you look to get that guy signed as quickly as possible.

I would agree here, Fran is better than the 11th highest paid coach. I would be ok with paying more on the yearly contract, adding more incentives, and a smaller extension.....but all in the event they fail to get passed the round of 32

I would be ok with a longer extension with a long tourney run.

But, I think all of this could be worked out after Iowa's season is done.
But the final 4 and the next month are when schools are hiring. So, ya know. That's kind of when you need to have your guy locked up. I'm with you, if Fran left, big deal, on to the next. Let's get a coach. I love coaching searches. They are fun. But, that's not an ideal position for Iowa to be in after this season, it's just not. Not good optics if Fran leaves right now.

The University of Iowa also hands out extensions like candy. If I was a white, straight coach, who keeps my head above water (competitive team), Barta and I would be BFF. Keeping it real. I would have a job for life. So it would seem in most cases at Iowa, especially under Barta.

@Stanzi I didn't mean to be rude if I was BTW, always liked ya as a poster too. Disagreements are what makes this board interesting. I appreciate your side of the argument, I just like you don't think Fran is Coach K or IZZO, I don't think Iowa is Duke or Michigan State. Fran has been good for Iowa. I like when Iowa keeps things that are good.

But the final 4 and the next month are when schools are hiring. So, ya know. That's kind of when you need to have your guy locked up. I'm with you, if Fran left, big deal, on to the next. Let's get a coach. I love coaching searches. They are fun. But, that's not an ideal position for Iowa to be in after this season, it's just not. Not good optics if Fran leaves right now.
I guess that is probably where we have a disagreement. Optics wise, you (and others in this thread) believe Iowa would be worse off if Fran left and we did not lock him up now by not extending him now.

I don't feel the same way here. For one, again I don't believe Fran is going anywhere anyway. And, if even if he does, so what if this team fails to get passed the first weekend. There are other Fran level coaches out there. I think Iowa could attract a decent coach now.

What I think this does is tells your current coaches I'm ok with paying you more for less than top end results. That breeds complacency. Yes, a Top 5 ranking is great, but Iowa is not going to be measured by that if they depart in the first weekend. And, then Fran gets to leech on for 7 more years still lacking a Sweet 16 or higher as of March of 21.

I guess that is probably where we have a disagreement. Optics wise, you (and others in this thread) believe Iowa would be worse off if Fran left and we did not lock him up now by not extending him now.

I don't feel the same way here. For one, again I don't believe Fran is going anywhere anyway. And, if even if he does, so what if this team fails to get passed the first weekend. There are other Fran level coaches out there. I think Iowa could attract a decent coach now.

What I think this does is tells your current coaches I'm ok with paying you more for less than top end results. That breeds complacency. Yes, a Top 5 ranking is great, but Iowa is not going to be measured by that if they depart in the first weekend.
He's the 11th highest paid coach in the league, Iowa has been getting the guy on the cheap. It would be a bad optic for Iowa to have an amazing year, and hey, let's say he goes to the Final Four and then Notre Dame does want to talk to him. That would be bad.

I personally think Iowa would be just fine with out Fran and I LOVE coaching searches BTW. I am not worried about that unknown just like you guys. But, the school kind of probably SHOULD be a little bit worried about that, ya know, with the last 30 years and all. I mean, makes sense to me.

and Fran was getting this extension EITHER way, why NOT do it before he potentially becomes and even HOTTER commodity. I mean, the odds are actually in his favor of that happening. This is smart by Iowa in so many ways.

He's the 11th highest paid coach in the league, Iowa has been getting the guy on the cheap. It would be a bad optic for Iowa to have an amazing year, and hey, let's say he goes to the Final Four and then Notre Dame does want to talk to him. That would be bad.
I think you pony up then, well Elite 8 for sure. We would not let him go to Notre Dame.

An extension now just reeks of desperation that we can't do any better than Fran.

Again, my beef here is not with Fran, it is with Barta and his negotiation tactics.

Fran is going nowhere, with or without an extension now. Why the rush, unless you think we can't do any better than Fran. I think we could get at least another Fran level coach in here. The guy is not exactly a game day coaching genius. He runs a much better aesthetically looking program compared to Lackluster and recruits at a much better level. But, that is not rare out there. There are more fishes in the sea.

Last edited:

Latest posts