Thoughts on the game tomorrow

uihawk82

Can Iowa's improved defense shut down the Illini who slashed through the hawks somewhat more than usual in the earlier game?

Do the hawks now have their shooting eyes locked in now? they shot better in the second half. Some bad turnovers in the 1st half and none in the second half so maybe they were a little more relaxed and in the flow the 2nd half.

I would predict if Iowa hits their perimeter shots...unlike tonight....it will be one hell of a game that can go either way. Iowa is also going to have to outwork them...they are more athletic than us.

Should be an exciting game for sure.

I really think this game is 50/50. Illinois just doesn't scare like Michigan does. I think Iowa and Illinois are in the same ballpark - I'm expecting a battle and won't be surprised if it goes either direction.

Our D is vastly improved since the last game at Champaign

That might be the difference

And we are due for a solid sharpshooting exhibition

Gonna be a good one

With the Hawks on top

We are really going to miss Jack Nunge tomorrow

He played Cockburn very well, shut him down, rebounded
and stole the ball from him

Last edited:
The 80-75 loss @ State Farm Center was on Jan 29th.

The D is phenomenally better. So is Murray
Illinois was getting hot. Iowa was beginning a mild slide.
Garza spent 7 minutes on the bench in the 2nd half. CJ didn't play at all.
JBo missed a game-tying three with 11 seconds left.
"Brick" Cockburn hit two FTs to seal it.

So yeah, despite all that, Iowa almost won. So yeah, I think we have a great shot.

The 80-75 loss @ State Farm Center was on Jan 29th.

The D is phenomenally better. So is Murray
Illinois was getting hot. Iowa was beginning a mild slide.
Garza spent 7 minutes on the bench in the 2nd half. CJ didn't play at all.
JBo missed a game-tying three with 11 seconds left.
"Brick" Cockburn hit two FTs to seal it.

So yeah, despite all that, Iowa almost won. So yeah, I think we have a great shot.
All great points. This should be a hell of a matchup - Illinois better come to play, because I have a feeling our guys are going to bring it.

Man, I can't believe we are talking about the DEFENSE! They have came a long ways and Fran mentioned he felt he mishandled the defense the last time they played Illinois in using too much zone.

I'll be watching this game with zero expectations. I'll be thrilled if they win and not overly broken up if they lose. I think Iowa is locked into the 2 seed unless they win the BTT.

Iowa must shoot better to beat Illinois. Illinois was 5 for 17 from 3 on Friday, 29.4% and Iowa was 10% from three. For the game Iowa shot 45%. and Illinois was over 50% against Rutgers. In looking at the stats for all the games on Friday the evening games had the lowest percentage of three point shooting. Wisconsin being the only outlier. Nobody over 30% from 3 but Wisconsin.

Man, I can't believe we are talking about the DEFENSE! They have came a long ways and Fran mentioned he felt he mishandled the defense the last time they played Illinois in using too much zone.

I'll be watching this game with zero expectations. I'll be thrilled if they win and not overly broken up if they lose. I think Iowa is locked into the 2 seed unless they win the BTT.

I was nervous about last nite's game because of the Fran history of not doing well in the BTT. But the players got that load off their back.

I do have a 50-50 expectation that they will shoot better, play good D and have an even chance of winning this game. I think the Illini are a better team than when we last played them.

I wont be super disappointed with a loss unless the hawks play bad.

My feeling is this: It's a 50/50 game. On the plus side, defense has improved and shooting (probably) can't get any worse than last nite. On the down side, we are without Nunge.

One of the big questions, imho, is going to be Weezy. He played better than expected. How is the ankle today? After exerting it, it may cause problems today.

Finally, Iowa had to exert a lot of effort the entire game. Illinois didn't. That may have an impact.

All in all, the Hawks are playing with house money. While I'm looking forward to watching the game, I'm not going to get bent out of shape if we lose.

I really believe the winner should get the 1, the loser the 2.

Simply my $0.02 .. ..

I was nervous about last nite's game because of the Fran history of not doing well in the BTT. But the players got that load off their back.

I do have a 50-50 expectation that they will shoot better, play good D and have an even chance of winning this game. I think the Illini are a better team than when we last played them.

I wont be super disappointed with a loss unless the hawks play bad.
Agree. Our 3 pt shooters are too good to have a second off game. And I’ve been saying the same about Caitlin Clark, too. She’s just too good to have three mediocre to poor shooting games. But she has. Hope both teams show well today.

My feeling is this: It's a 50/50 game. On the plus side, defense has improved and shooting (probably) can't get any worse than last nite. On the down side, we are without Nunge.

One of the big questions, imho, is going to be Weezy. He played better than expected. How is the ankle today? After exerting it, it may cause problems today.

Finally, Iowa had to exert a lot of effort the entire game. Illinois didn't. That may have an impact.

All in all, the Hawks are playing with house money. While I'm looking forward to watching the game, I'm not going to get bent out of shape if we lose.

I really believe the winner should get the 1, the loser the 2.

Simply my $0.02 .. ..
I don’t think Iowa can get a #1. Illinois will still have a better resume even with a loss. The BTT title game will have no bearing on seeding, so even if Iowa wins it all it will be irrelevant. Iowa won’t jump Baylor as the committee won’t put 3 Big Ten teams as a 1 seed.

Iowa is a 2.....and that is fine.