All-Century Hawkeye Basketball Team

Fryowa

Administrator
Players you pick are in the primes of their college careers at Iowa, but you have to put together a reasonable team (can't pick 5 big men for example).

Who are your 5 starters and 3 bench players picked from all of Iowa basketball history?

Players you pick are in the primes of their college careers at Iowa, but you have to put together a reasonable team (can't pick 5 big men for example).

Who are your 5 starters and 3 bench players picked from all of Iowa basketball history?
I'll mark my starters and their replacements.
Point Guard.........Ronnie Lester/ BJ Armstrong
Shooting Guard...Fred Brown/ Kevin Gamble
Power Forward....Chris Street/Aaron White
Small Forward.....John Johnson/Don Nelson
Center...................Luka Garza/Greg Stokes

I'd have to go 4 deep at center and add Earl and Lohaus. Brunner needs to be on here somewhere, too. I'd put him in Aaron White's slot. Ricky Davis would be hard to keep off the team.

If you could only keep 3 subs who would they be? That's the interesting part to me.

Following the ‘letter of the law’:

Ronnie Lester
Fred Brown
John Johnson
Don Nelson
Luka Garza

BJ Armstrong
Roy Marble
Bruce King

If I could add two more:

Greg Stokes
Chris Street

Following the ‘letter of the law’:

Ronnie Lester
Fred Brown
John Johnson
Don Nelson
Luka Garza

BJ Armstrong
Roy Marble
Bruce King

If I could add two more:

Greg Stokes
Chris Street
I'll buy that. We have the similar starters, but your subs make more sense.

Last edited:
Best dunker hands down Gerry Wright, unfortunately didn’t so much else. Jump from the freaking free throw line and thunder dunk it.

This century or just the past 100 years?
As you can see with my list, I only went back to the 50s. It’s really hard to compare someone like Murray Wier, who played guard and forward at 5’9” and probably used a set shot to someone like Roy Marble. My mom had her college yearbooks from the 40s and it was fun to read about those teams.

Don Nelson was only 6’6”, and the center for the 1955-56 team was also 6’6”. No comparison to someone like Luka, or King (who was only 2” taller) or Stokes. J8st really hard to compare.

As you can see with my list, I only went back to the 50s. It’s really hard to compare someone like Murray Wier, who played guard and forward at 5’9” and probably used a set shot to someone like Roy Marble. My mom had her college yearbooks from the 40s and it was fun to read about those teams.

Don Nelson was only 6’6”, and the center for the 1955-56 team was also 6’6”. No comparison to someone like Luka, or King (who was only 2” taller) or Stokes. J8st really hard to compare.
Yeah that's the trouble with doing these, obviously today's mediocre players are probably better than the best 50 years ago with advances in training, sports medicine, facilities, hell...even shoes.

I hear you..Don Nelson was primarily a forward, but not totally sure about that. But you're right!

Best dunker hands down Gerry Wright, unfortunately didn’t so much else. Jump from the freaking free throw line and thunder dunk it.
Gerry Wright, lol...

You ever read that guy's biography on the community college website where he coaches? It's a hell of a giggle and sounds like it comes straight out of Hollywood.

I especially like the part where it says, "Wright transferred to the University of Iowa where he led the Hawkeyes to 3 straight NCAA tournament appearances; this included a trip to the Elite-Eight his senior year."

On a team with Marble, Armstrong, Lohaus, Horton, and Gamble that guy didn't lead shit!

I'm willing to bet he wrote that bio himself and 72% of it never happened.

When Don Nelson was a senior he was all BT. Two other first team guys were also centers, Jerry Lucas and Terry Dischinger (sp?) from Purdue.

Last edited:
Ronnie Lester-PG
Fred Brown-SG
John Johnson-F
Don Nelson-F
Luka Garza-C

BJ Armstrong-G
Roy Marble-G/F
Chris Street-F

I could have picked a few more, but my memory really starts with JJ and the Dealers

Latest posts