If you hit the lottery this week, how much would you donate to Iowa?

But where would you go to bitch and moan? It’s your favorite pastime. And you definitely wouldn’t need to win the lottery. Your drive thru salary is more than enough to buy off someone like me.
I was kidding Fry...you seem sensitive about this. Is the pressure of keeping control of the board starting to get to you? My drive thru salary? I'm happy flipping the burgers...drive thru is the worst job there is.

Let's just hypothetically say you cashed in and walked away with ballpark $400 million. Would you donate any funds to the University of Iowa Athletic Department? How much? Any strings attached?

I wouldn't give any, but if I did, I would want the Case IH redzone renamed the "O'Keefe Zone."

I'd want the spotted rose hammer sack to be the NCHawker Sack.

I'd donate $50,000,000 on two conditions:

1. They fire Barta immediately. I'm really tired of that guy.
2. They keep Kirk for as long as he wants to coach, but his son can never be the head coach.

That is all.

2. They keep Kirk for as long as he wants to coach, but his son can never be the head coach.

That is all.

Fast forward 12 years:

"Coach Ferentz, when your dad retired from the Iowa job and you had posted the number 2 offense 3 years in a row in Big Ten play, did you ever think that you would wind up being the first man to bring back to back national titles to Lincoln since the legendary Tom Osborne?"

That is all.
Brian Ferentz's offense averaged 32 points a game with a QB who threw 7 TDs against 5 INTs and was very inconsistent. Usually when we don't get stellar QB play...we don't average 32 points a game. Imagine if Petras improves in all areas.

Fast Forward to 2024 - Meet your new head coach...Brian Ferentz.

In Brian Ferentz's first act as head coach, he names James Ferentz as his offensive coordinator...who announces Steve Ferentz as the offensive line coach.

Brian Ferentz's offense averaged 32 points a game with a QB who threw 7 TDs against 5 INTs and was very inconsistent. Usually when we don't get stellar QB play...we don't average 32 points a game. Imagine if Petras improves in all areas.

Fast Forward to 2024 - Meet your new head coach...Brian Ferentz.

In Brian Ferentz's first act as head coach, he names James Ferentz as his offensive coordinator...who announces Steve Ferentz as the offensive line coach.
Yeah and considering our running game was good but not great I try to figure out how were we scoring that much. I think it was due to field position. We won that a lot of the time. Our D and special teams were stellar and often setup us up with short fields. Could you imagine if last yr woulda been Stanleys senior year instead? Man offensively we coulda been unreal frankly.

Damn, where do you live that the HS field doesn't have lights? Every little league facility in our area has lights. Spring ball starts in a few weeks!
I live in the hometown of Musco Lighting (Muscatine, IA). All of the lights for all sporting venues were done by them. We have had pro soccer exhibition games at night. We have HS tennis courts with great lighting. We have awesome lighting for HS/JHS football and baseball. And our 20 field baseball/softball complex has great lighting.

Damn, where do you live that the HS field doesn't have lights? Every little league facility in our area has lights. Spring ball starts in a few weeks!
Nearby Darlington (Wisconsin not South Carolina) finally got lights when the NFL Bengals' Alex Erickson sprung for them about five years ago.

Before then they played their football games at 3:30 pm and had to limit schools for their track and field invites.

Now Erickson has donated some nice coin to his former high school, but may have gone overboard when he donated a big screen monitor for Darlington's players/coaches to view behind their bench in between series. There is no monitor on the visitor's sidelines, and the state and conference have evidently allowed it.

I would donate a package deal to the UI. Hawk football has given me a ton of great memories, probably 250+ games attended at Kinnick as well as all the TV games. As a UI alum who received a very good education in the sciences and liberal arts I would donate somewhere around $2 million to both of those areas. I would also look into building or modernizing the UI radio telescope and or a new optical scope. The only catch to all of this would be to have my name on the new scope or part of the building or whole building and to get an honorary Masters or Doctorate in Astronomy.

Football I could see donating up to $1 million and some of that money into the general scholarship fund.

I would donate a package deal to the UI. Hawk football has given me a ton of great memories, probably 250+ games attended at Kinnick as well as all the TV games. As a UI alum who received a very good education in the sciences and liberal arts I would donate somewhere around $2 million to both of those areas. I would also look into building or modernizing the UI radio telescope and or a new optical scope. The only catch to all of this would be to have my name on the new scope or part of the building or whole building and to get an honorary Masters or Doctorate in Astronomy.

Football I could see donating up to $1 million and some of that money into the general scholarship fund.

Too late, bud. Some asshat in Maryland won PowerBall and some assclown in Michigan won Mega Millions. They've fallen back to their "just barely above poverty level" jackpots where only proles buy tickets and it will be months before they get back up to the stratosphere.

What kind of scope do you have right now, breh?

Too late, bud. Some asshat in Maryland won PowerBall and some assclown in Michigan won Mega Millions. They've fallen back to their "just barely above poverty level" jackpots where only proles buy tickets and it will be months before they get back up to the stratosphere.

What kind of scope do you have right now, breh?

I have an 8 inch Meade Newtonian reflector that I have had since 1978. I have cleaned the mirror once but it still gives great images. I used to do astrophotography with it using my old Pentax SLR, mounting adaptor, and cable exposure control. My scope mount is equatorial with a clock drive and I could take great moon and planet pictures and pictures of some some brighter stars with faster speed film

But I have not had my scope aligned in a very long time, probably 15 years or so when my Pentax bit the dust.

I just got back into astrophotography by joining iTelescope online remote observatory group. It is pricey to schedule enough telescope image capturing time so not sure how long I will be with them. Capturing the several hours of light, red, blue, and green filter needed to make a really good image could be $500. But I have some real good images processed of about 10 Messier objects, mostly galaxies as they are usually brighter.

Are you into astronomy??

I have an 8 inch Meade Newtonian reflector that I have had since 1978. I have cleaned the mirror once but it still gives great images. I used to do astrophotography with it using my old Pentax SLR, mounting adaptor, and cable exposure control. My scope mount is equatorial with a clock drive and I could take great moon and planet pictures and pictures of some some brighter stars with faster speed film

But I have not had my scope aligned in a very long time, probably 15 years or so when my Pentax bit the dust.

I just got back into astrophotography by joining iTelescope online remote observatory group. It is pricey to schedule enough telescope image capturing time so not sure how long I will be with them. Capturing the several hours of light, red, blue, and green filter needed to make a really good image could be $500. But I have some real good images processed of about 10 Messier objects, mostly galaxies as they are usually brighter.

Are you into astronomy??

I am not really into astronomy, but my son just turned 5 last week and he is wildly into it. I bought a Celestron Nexstar 8SE over summer and had half the neighborhood over for that Jupiter Saturn thing back in December. My son made me read him "Brief History of Time" and when we went to Barnes and Noble on Saturday he made me buy some discount book on Quantum Theory from the $5 table. Kid says he wants to be a "super scientist" and we told him he has to be very good at math - he will sit down and bang out math problems from the second grade workbook for a solid half hour. We're trying to slow him down but he's probably going to be on 4th grade math by the time he goes to kindergarten. He's going to a Mandarin immersion school and they teach the math in Mandarin so hopefully that will give him some challenge. It's scary because he's super into studying things like wavelengths and crap because all these astronomy models are based on all sorts of stuff from outside the visible spectrum or radio waves or whatever and I'm a guy who held my own in trig, but that was like 25 years ago, so I'm just like "woosh" trying to explain stuff to him. Thank god for YouTube.

What kind of scope do you have right now, breh

I am not really into astronomy, but my son just turned 5 last week and he is wildly into it. I bought a Celestron Nexstar 8SE over summer and had half the neighborhood over for that Jupiter Saturn thing back in December. My son made me read him "Brief History of Time" and when we went to Barnes and Noble on Saturday he made me buy some discount book on Quantum Theory from the $5 table. Kid says he wants to be a "super scientist" and we told him he has to be very good at math - he will sit down and bang out math problems from the second grade workbook for a solid half hour. We're trying to slow him down but he's probably going to be on 4th grade math by the time he goes to kindergarten. He's going to a Mandarin immersion school and they teach the math in Mandarin so hopefully that will give him some challenge. It's scary because he's super into studying things like wavelengths and crap because all these astronomy models are based on all sorts of stuff from outside the visible spectrum or radio waves or whatever and I'm a guy who held my own in trig, but that was like 25 years ago, so I'm just like "woosh" trying to explain stuff to him. Thank god for YouTube.

You might want to introduce him the NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day website. just search the web for APOD. Tremendous pictures with explanations with so many hyperlinks your son could look at it forever. Years and years of archived pictures from Hubble and the major observatories as well as amateurs from around the world.

The image below I processed from raw telescope images captured by an amateur astrophotographer. It is the Trifid Nebula and there are so many professional and amateur listings of raw images that can be downloaded.

1611625984085.png

Attachments

• M20 Diego RGB Final.JPG
    M20 Diego RGB Final.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 0

That Celestron 8 inch is a serious telescope for the neighborhood watch party. I am sure the neighbors and you and your family had some great views of the Jupiter-Saturn conjunction. Saturn is in a place in its orbit and the cycle of its polar tilt so that you can see the rings very well and the gap of black space between the rings and Saturn itself

That Celestron 8 inch is a serious telescope for the neighborhood watch party. I am sure the neighbors and you and your family had some great views of the Jupiter-Saturn conjunction. Saturn is in a place in its orbit and the cycle of its polar tilt so that you can see the rings very well and the gap of black space between the rings and Saturn itself

Yeah, it was pretty good. We had about 100 people stop by to check it out. A lot of people are pretty amazed when they see Saturn's rings or the Galilean moons with their own eye for the first time. I still can't get the mechanics on it fully dialed in, partially because there is so much light pollution coming from the north and west. I can't triangulate on the third star necessary to get it to really work it's magic. I'm taking it to a bald that is above the tree line in the smoky mountains in April. It's about halfway between Johnson City, TN and Asheville, NC. There's almost no light pollution up there.

That thing is my son's jam, though. Hopefully he still likes it as he gets older and if he does we'll get an equatorial mount and camera and stuff and maybe I'll buy a little piece of land 50 miles out of town so we'll have somewhere to set it up. There are so many huge trees down here and with the mountains it really cuts down on the viewing opportunities.

Latest posts