Game Story: Hawkeyes Not Satisfied with Current Standing

I think it can't be understated how Fran's timeouts and anger sessions have changed things this year. I think it was against Maryland where he called two timeouts in the first 3 minutes and basically pulled all the starters (except for Connor) and it turned the whole game around. Looks like Fran has their ear.

I think it can't be understated how Fran's timeouts and anger sessions have changed things this year. I think it was against Maryland where he called two timeouts in the first 3 minutes and basically pulled all the starters (except for Connor) and it turned the whole game around. Looks like Fran has their ear.
I agree on the timeouts. But I've seen on Twitter from media guys quite a few times comment on Fran explosions. I don't think he's changed there one bit.

Fran isn't afraid to put that veteran group in their place when they need it. Thankfully it hasn't been very often. That's what makes Fran underrated and a better coach then he's give credit for. I may disagree with a few things he does like taking guys out with 2 fouls automatically in first half and some substitution type things but I'm nitpicking and I know it. He's got a firm handle on his guys and they are all in with him.

I agree on the timeouts. But I've seen on Twitter from media guys quite a few times comment on Fran explosions. I don't think he's changed there one bit.
I'm not saying that he's changed at all, but that his outbursts have clearly been effective and have produced direct and immediate results.

Ya Fran can chew ass with the best of em and not sure why he gets such a bad rap for it, maybe it's because he turns beet red? But how many HAVEN'T had coaches that got after them when they had it coming?

I've seen Izzo's head dam near explode while waiting for his eye balls to pop out first, Illinois coach rips his players a new one pretty well, as well as countless others that lose it just as bad as Fran does. Why he gets more criticism is beyond me.

Ya Fran can chew ass with the best of em and not sure why he gets such a bad rap for it, maybe it's because he turns beet red? But how many HAVEN'T had coaches that got after them when they had it coming?

I've seen Izzo's head dam near explode while waiting for his eye balls to pop out first, Illinois coach rips his players a new one pretty well, as well as countless others that lose it just as bad as Fran does. Why he gets more criticism is beyond me.
Fran used to turn the anger on the refs and that got him the reputation and the quick T. Now he directs the anger at the players when they are not playing defense. I like the new Mac.

Fran’s not perfect. No one is. But I’ve always liked him and still do. And his players love him. He knows what he’s doing.

I remember less than a year ago when some were saying he wasted 2 scholarships on twin brothers. It may just be me but I feel like he got it right...like he has so many times before. Recognizing/Evaluating talent is arguably his greatest strength.

Funny that only a couple years ago his temper was considered an embarrassment
He has learned not to direct it at officials and instead focus on the poor decisions of his players. That takes some of the attention away — he’s not being shown on camera getting red in the face against the likes of TV Teddy Valentine or the since retired Ed Hightower. Ass-chewing players usually comes during timeouts when the camera’s not on.

He also now has a pretty energetic and competent bench that can turn games around and get the attention of the starters. That helps.

Funny that only a couple years ago his temper was considered an embarrassment
It was. Getting kicked out of games. Chasing officials down the tunnel. Kicking the scorers table. That's embarrassing.

Haven't seen any of that lately so yes his bench demeanor has improved significantly.

I think all coaches have needed to tame it down this year. No crowds and hot mics can pick up a lot. Winning also helps limit frustration. Never had a problem with Fran's temper. He sticks up for his players and has their respect. Has he gone too far a few times? Yes.

I feel like last year and this year our players have thicker skin and can handle the yelling. They seem to respond to it.

It was. Getting kicked out of games. Chasing officials down the tunnel. Kicking the scorers table. That's embarrassing.

Haven't seen any of that lately so yes his bench demeanor has improved significantly.
He's had probably 4 or 5 embarrassing outbursts in 10 years so its not like its a rare feat to go half a season without one.

Fran has lost his shit a few times over the years. But, what I respect about him is that it is isolated and short lived. He is always professional to the media before and after games. He answers questions posed to him substantively, and not just give coach speak. And he seems to genuinely have the respect of most refs and opposing coaches for the most part. He has a temper, no question. But, I never get the sense it is personal or that the refs take it personally. Its just the passion of the game.

I think other coaches see Fran as a guy who is always coaching and competing. I love that about Fran. I would think some coaches think he's the coach most like a computer nerd who can never shut it off.

I think I've read that McCaffery has stated that when Pat had cancer, it brought basketball into perspective for him and he vowed to stay more composed on the sidelines. Unfortunately, he will have a hard time living down his reputation with the media types who still bring up his lowest moments.

I think I've read that McCaffery has stated that when Pat had cancer, it brought basketball into perspective for him and he vowed to stay more composed on the sidelines. Unfortunately, he will have a hard time living down his reputation with the media types who still bring up his lowest moments.
Fran chasing an official down the tunnel and calling him a cheating m'fer happened years after Patrick's cancer battle. It also cost him two games late in the season which ended up being bad losses. Getting ejected at Maryland also happened well after the diagnosis. So did the foolish defense of Woodbury's eye pokes.

Fran has been calm this year, but there are some bells that can't be un-rung. Getting suspended for two games in the final week of conference play was unforgivable.