Dillon Doyle Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not saying there aren’t racism issues at Iowa. And if so, they need to be corrected. But some of what I have read over the last several days were coaches being tough on players. I attended a 4A school in Iowa back in the day and our coaches yelled at us, cussed at us, made fun of us, degraded us, physically kicked us in the ass, pulled us around by our face masks, hit us with clipboards on our helmets and withheld water from us in practice, until we performed how they wanted us to. The program was a perennial playoff team with state championship appearances. In today’s world, those coaches would not last a week. But these coaches molded us into the men we are today and we wouldn’t change a thing!
That slowly went from “okay” to “assault” lol but I get what you mean. Same only I was never assaulted with clipboards.

Yeah, Chris Doyle must have already told the family he was leaving for this to happen. You dont walk out on your dream unless you absolutely have to. And if Chris Doyle said some of these things they are very insensitive but not criminal so I think Iowa fans would have been fine with Dillon staying at Iowa

Dillon’s in an impossible spot. The reception from teammates — especially African Americans — might be tenuous at best. Opposing players and fans would crucify him if he stayed.

Best for him to move on and get a fresh start somewhere.

That slowly went from “okay” to “assault” lol but I get what you mean. Same only I was never assaulted with clipboards.

Our hall of fame coach took a lineman by the facemask and drove his head into the goal post. Trampling of younger players on the track was encouraged and common.

Arguably their best song, and they had a few in their day.

I'll still go with "Gimme Shelter", another appropriate song nowadays. Merri Clayton was unstoppable when they brought her in to do some vocals.
I was always and still remain more of a Beatles fan....but the Stones have some all-timers....Paint It Black....and Start Me Up IS kickoffs lol

You know growing up I really didn't like my dad very much he was strict. Razzed me. Was kind of an a-hole sometimes. I never did like him all that much. He was my step dad, so I just figured that is how it goes.
He's been gone awhile now and it wasn't until a few years ago that I ran into a kid I grew up with. What he had to say about my dad floored me. He had tons of respect and admiration for him. I thought for a long time about that conversation and I realized he helped me become who I am.
I think lot's of people have those kinds of stories. Same kind of stories about coaches. They razz you and get under your skin to motivate you.
I'm in no way saying to take it to far. I don't know what happened in this case. I know that each person has different buttons that need to be pushed. I was always easy to get wound up, all you had to do is tell me I couldn't do something. Other guys it took a little more to lite the fire.
That is my grandfather. Raising 3 kids that interrupted his peaceful serentity...his life opportunity to travel or have a castle to himself.....fought in WW II under Patton...Silver Star x2, bronze star, purple heart....worked 3 jobs, volunteer fireman, owned 2 businesses in small town America, delivered the mail all day, went to his shoe shop at night until 9/10 at night to provide. He was hard on us, sometimes harsh, I thought he was mean, insensitive...and then I grew up and realized....what a blessing. It just reminded me of a great hardened man....my grandfather....felt like sharing.

Wrong. I’ve come to represent the present and future.

I don’t believe Chris Doyle is a racist. I do believe he has been a key member of a football program led by a coach we all suspect (know?) simply hasn’t kept up with evolving sensitivities and expectations of young athletes from multiple cultures and races.

Anyone who has had a managerial or executive role in business for the past 20 years has had to not only change their own views and behaviors but lead the people who work with and for them through diversity change.

From what we’ve witnessed and read, it’s fairly obvious Kirk failed on both counts.
Crucify him! Crucify him!

You know growing up I really didn't like my dad very much he was strict. Razzed me. Was kind of an a-hole sometimes. I never did like him all that much. He was my step dad, so I just figured that is how it goes.
He's been gone awhile now and it wasn't until a few years ago that I ran into a kid I grew up with. What he had to say about my dad floored me. He had tons of respect and admiration for him. I thought for a long time about that conversation and I realized he helped me become who I am.
I think lot's of people have those kinds of stories. Same kind of stories about coaches. They razz you and get under your skin to motivate you.
I'm in no way saying to take it to far. I don't know what happened in this case. I know that each person has different buttons that need to be pushed. I was always easy to get wound up, all you had to do is tell me I couldn't do something. Other guys it took a little more to lite the fire.
Our society has been in the business of making soft, victims for 20+ years.

Our society has been working on stopping abuse about that long if that is what you mean. Spousal abuse, child abuse, workplace abuse, sexual abuse. A long way to go.
You are referring to actual victims of crimes.

I am referring to our soft, victims who are taught to feel wrongs that don't exist. And then call mommy. Or cry on social media.

Whoa. Do you really think the University of Iowa and Hawkeye football (hell, all Iowa athletics) would get a fair shake from the hacks who serve on the BOR? Do you need a reminder of recent history?

I would be interested to be enlightened about your knowledge of the Regents.

Well at least he and his family sacrificed their dad and husband for countless hours to help get so many into the NFL and making millions.
Absolutely sucks that an Iowa kid who always dreamed of playing for Iowa gets ripped off out of his dream. But oh well as long as everyone else got theirs, right?
Always hard to see an Iowa kid who really wanted to be a Hawk leave, best of luck Dillon on your dreams.

I’m not saying there aren’t racism issues at Iowa. And if so, they need to be corrected. But some of what I have read over the last several days were coaches being tough on players. I attended a 4A school in Iowa back in the day and our coaches yelled at us, cussed at us, made fun of us, degraded us, physically kicked us in the ass, pulled us around by our face masks, hit us with clipboards on our helmets and withheld water from us in practice, until we performed how they wanted us to. The program was a perennial playoff team with state championship appearances. In today’s world, those coaches would not last a week. But these coaches molded us into the men we are today and we wouldn’t change a thing!
Same thing happened to me back in the day in a smaller 2A school I played for. It was wrong then it's still wrong now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts