OK, Where Do We Make Up The Nebraska Loss?

Northside Hawk

That game was nearly three weeks ago and is still lamented on a daily basis. Maybe some will not get past it. I say we have opportunities to even it out. But the question is where.

MARYLAND- Well, we certainly have to expect them to shoot batter than the last time. On the other hand we best them soundly without Fred. Cowan has beat JBo like a drum a couple times but has always seemed to have trouble with Connor guarding him. This is going to be a tough trap game sandwiched in between home games with Bucky and a suddenly resurgent and confident Illinois team.

PURDUE- Terrible history with the Paint crew in Mackey. They always seem to shot the lights out against us in that building and every close game goes their way as they manage to make one more play. Luka didn't even play in the Mackey game last year (ankle). I have a strong feeling he will play this year. We may match up well with them and this could be a chance to get a rare Mackey win, despite their strong home court defensive play

INDIANA- We are gonna miss JBo here, and Jack Nunge. And our defense usually doesn't travel to Bloomington well. Last year we methodically ground out a win in this building with superb Cook and Bohannon play and it set the tone for a rather memorable two week stretch. Maybe Fred, playing close to his home base, will find his second wind and go off here.

MINNESOTA- Danger game. They haven't forgotten the twenty point whipping we laid on them in early December and I have a feeling Carr and Kauscher will shoot better at the Barn. Also can't see Oturu getting eight travelling calls on him. Another place where we have a bad recent history and where our defense stays on the bus. They have a long history up there of some scrub having a career night against us.

MICHIGAN STATE- Our best chance in years to get a win in Breslin, but I think Izzo will have figured some thing out by then, as he always seems to do as March nears. If Kriener is not a wallflower in this game we can hang with them physically. If we hang with them physically, we could win. Would love to see Joe T GO OFF in this game.

ILLINOIS-Great recent history here. Fran has done well in this building. This is not your father's Illini but we always seem to shoot well in this building. What's wierd is we haven't played in it since going OT in mid January 2018. Only three of our active players have played here. This could be a big game with conference tournament seeding implications, if not conference championship implications.

Would getting a win at Michigan State or Illinois alleviate the sting of Nebraska. That is the question I pose to you the poster.

Illini are hype. Bad home loss to Miami. Bad neutral loss to Mizzou.

They have an inside game but Garza is better. They have limited shooters. I would look to IL big to pick up fouls.

Hawks arent in a hole. They can control destiny.

I almost think a big win at MSU or Maryland will make Nebraska hurt worse. Especially if it gets us to where we finish the year one game out of first.

Same as everyone else in the conference , going in everybody thought we would lose one we shouldn't and win one we shouldn't, we have our loss ( hopefully the only one that we should have won ) , Minny at their house , Illini the way they are playing right now , both scare me , just guessing MSU or Purdue mite b the game to even out the Nebby thing

Just be thankful CJ only missed 2+ games. Michigan lost a key player for multiple games and look where they are. That could easily be us minus CJ...or pretty much any of our top 7 guys.
But I thought good programs don't miss a beat with injuries?

That loss was so bad that it cannot be made up with a single win. It would take at least 2 road wins and I don't see that. But it's ok, Iowa will be just fine.

No matter how many wins we get, that loss will always be there and the season will be worse because of it.

Even with the quick turnaround, I think the Maryland game is our best chance to pick up a road win from that bunch. They usually play much better at home, but they're soft, don't play great defense, and are prone to quick shots on offense.

That loss is there and it’s not going away. But the 5 conference wins are also staying. If our shooters keep making shots and our AA center keeps playing like an AA and we play smart and no one gets hurt I suspect we’ll have a winning record in these last 12 games. Iowa playing their best is better than most Big 10 teams playing their best IMO.

Has to be a place where nobody around you in the standings is likely to win so that means MSU or Maryland.

No matter how many wins we get, that loss will always be there and the season will be worse because of it.

Sometimes, a loss like that helps the team in the long run ... you just never know. It's possible things came together after that game ... the narrative is still there to be written.

Latest posts